Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello everyone, I just bought a tikka in 7-08 mainly for deer and black bear and I was curious as to what you would recommend. I don’t want any higher than 4x on the low end and at the high end no less than 10x. Weight is definitely a factor as I would like to stay under 22 oz. I have a couple handy woods guns already with low magnifications. I would like to be able to take this out to 400-450 yards if need be on a farm. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: Budget would be 1k and under preferably in the 400-700 range

Last edited by SC_Mark; 07/10/22.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/hr940-c-2700006

I’m considering one of those for my next glass purchase. Might be a good fit for your situation as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Zeiss that Mule Deer has listed in the classifieds might float your boat. Very good price, but .5 ounces over your weight limit.

Link to Zeiss 3-12X44

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
The Zeiss that Mule Deer has listed in the classifieds might float your boat. Very good price, but .5 ounces over your weight limit.

Link to Zeiss 3-12X44

That’s definitely a good option at that price!

S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Alex38

I’m considering one of those for my next glass purchase. Might be a good fit for your situation as well.

Yeah those Hurons look pretty nice. Aren’t terribly expensive either!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just looked and Tract has Tekoa 4-16s on sale for $500, a screaming deal on a solid scope. I like the T-Plex reticle.

If you can give up an X on top, a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with duplex has become my favorite general-purpose hunting scope. Only 13oz, excellent quality, comes with see-through covers and a lenspen, packed like nice stuff should be. Don’t left concern over tritium lamp life throw you, under almost all conditions, the fiber optic does all the work. The duplex with illuminated dot is just excellent, fine center with heavy sidebars that come in close enough to be useful. $650 on Amazon. I have two, on my two best rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This is a serious consideration of mine as I’m currently having Wayne build my Howa mini 6.5 grendel stock, bottom metal, and timney and I think The 3-9 accupoint is definitely going on that rifle because of how light it is. It has the sporter contour as well so I’m excited to get that finished. Not sure if I’d want to have the same exact scope on both guns but I’m definitely thinking about that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Grendel Mini with Wayne’s stock and bottom metal, a fine thing for certain! It wears a Trijicon
Credo HX 1-6 scope, another favorite, and maybe the perfect woods-rifle scope. I’ll try and post a pic.

Ta Da!

[Linked Image]

My 3-9s are on a Barrett Fieldcraft and a Model 70 EW.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/10/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have a Grendel Mini with Wayne’s stock and bottom metal, a fine thing for certain! It wears a Trijicon
Credo HX 1-6 scope, another favorite, and maybe the perfect woods-rifle scope. I’ll try and post a pic.

Ta Da!

[Linked Image]

Yeah I’m excited for it but I’m not sure if it’ll get here in time for hunting season and is part of the reason why I bought the tikka. After hearing so many loving reviews of the 7-08 I figured I’d give it a try. Wish I woulda gone stainless instead of blued though, might have to get it cerakoted.
Edit: That’s a fantastic looking gun, besides the scope I think ours will be identical haha.

Last edited by SC_Mark; 07/10/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SC_Mark

A whole 2.5” eye relief? Why would any scope in that price range have that pathetic of eye relief?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/10/22.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hello everyone, I just bought a tikka in 7-08 mainly for deer and black bear and I was curious as to what you would recommend. I don’t want any higher than 4x on the low end and at the high end no less than 10x. Weight is definitely a factor as I would like to stay under 22 oz. I have a couple handy woods guns already with low magnifications. I would like to be able to take this out to 400-450 yards if need be on a farm. Thanks for the advice!

So simple:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

13 oz's and fully capable of 500+ yard shots with practice if you chose the ballistic plex reticle. This is how my Tikka 7mm08 is set up^^^^ Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. The scope JB has in the classifieds is a sweet scope as well. I believe that has a ballistic plex reticle by Zeiss. Great price as well. I'm surprised no one has bought that one yet!! With that being said, most of my "hunting" rifles wear the Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/ballistic plex reticle.. Now's the time to be buying the 3-9x40, when they are $109 at Natchez. I generally like more magnification as well, but these 3-9x40's work well out to your max distance. You may want to do some research on these, if you have never used one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

A whole 2.5” eye relief? Why would any scope in that price range have that pathetic of eye relief?

Okay. Made me look.

The listed ER on my favorite Trijicon 3-9 is 2.2-3.8, even skimpier at top end. However, I just pulled my M70 out and made sure, and whatever the ER actually is, when I bring the rifle to shoulder at either end, my eye is right where it needs to be for a full view, and I can run the bolt without bumping my lovely nose. That last is my definitive test for my bolt rifles. Failing that test is a serious shortcoming. I might have one rifle that doesn’t allow that, an FN with a Burris 3-9.

Mostly, my 3-9s are effectively 3 or 9s; 3 in the woods and 9 at the range.

Those Burris FFII 3-9s are $98 on Amazon right now, causing a serious stir in the Classifieds. I bought 2 myself, though they’ll be homeless at first.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For 30 bucks more I would buy the 4.5-14 Burris FF II, I bought 1 for a spare along with 2 of the 3-9’s.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just put my E1 version back on a .22. Pretty good scope for that, not too heavy and adjustable parallax. According to their ballistic page, I can sight in at 50, turn it to 14 and use the third hash mark for 100, and turn it to 6 and use the last one at 200. Gonna try tomorrow.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
SC_Mark Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yeah I don’t see it being a problem for me on my howa mini with the accupoint. Just a matter of waiting for the stock now, how long did yours take after the order?

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Okay. Made me look.

The listed ER on my favorite Trijicon 3-9 is 2.2-3.8, even skimpier at top end. However, I just pulled my M70 out and made sure, and whatever the ER actually is, when I bring the rifle to shoulder at either end, my eye is right where it needs to be for a full view, and I can run the bolt without bumping my lovely nose. That last is my definitive test for my bolt rifles. Failing that test is a serious shortcoming. I might have one rifle that doesn’t allow that, an FN with a Burris 3-9.

Mostly, my 3-9s are effectively 3 or 9s; 3 in the woods and 9 at the range.

Those Burris FFII 3-9s are $98 on Amazon right now, causing a serious stir in the Classifieds. I bought 2 myself, though they’ll be homeless at first.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
3-4 months

What fresh Hell is this?
C
cdg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
These are nice scopes. However, the eye relief is as poor as advertised. Likely not a problem on a 7/08 but I wish it were a bit more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I'm sure you'll get great scope suggestions here....

I'm more interested in what ammo and ballistic information you will be using for the 7m08.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
My last 3 scope purchases were a leupold VX5HD 2-10 with firedot, a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40, and a burris FFII.

The Leupold meets your criteria, but you need to work a little to get the price down.

I love that accupoint, the eye relief is not an issue.

The FFII's were $98 at Amazon. For future use, though I am using one now while an older scope is getting sent in for service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.