-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP, I have an 028AV Super WoodBoss that my Dad bought new in 1989. He gave it to me when I bought my first house. It's a fantastic saw.

As far as replacing it, you might look at the Huaqvarna 550XPII or the soon to be discontinued Dolmar (now owned by Makita) EA5000. Makita is ceasing production of Dolmar gasoline power equipment in 2024 IIRC. The Dolmar is a fantastic saw, made in Germany, with a great power to weight ratio. I've had it in a previous iteration (5100S) and my brother has been running one for years. They're all the same basic saw, but they've gone through several model number nomenclatures with Dolmar's acquisition by Makita.

I also have the above mentioned Husky. It's a good saw with autotune and plenty of power. That said, I had the crank bearing fail on a near new saw. This was probably almost certainly my fault as I'd filed the rakers too low and kept pushing through a pile of dead ash. The bucking and jerking took out the bearing. I didn't realize this was what had happened until after Husqvarna replaced the saw under warranty and was discussing the issue with my brother. My brother cuts, splits, and stacks 50+ cords of PA hardwood firewood a year and has become a great resource for everything firewood related. The issue arose as I was using an old Pferd ChainSharp chain file that does the raker and cutter at the same time. Apparently, the original version of this tool (which is what I have) takes too much off the rakers. I hadn't used these Pferd ChainSharp files for a long time, and hadn't remembered why I stopped us them. LOL. They somehow got dug out during the pandemic and all this standing dead ash was the perfect storm.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Another factor is knowing how to sharpen a saw and file the rakes I know there’s plenty of gadgets out there but a lot of people can’t take a round file and do it the old school way I’ve got scars to prove how to do it

Last edited by earlybrd; 07/11/22.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kingston
OP, I have an 028AV Super WoodBoss that my Dad bought new in 1989. He gave it to me when I bought my first house. It's a fantastic saw.

As far as replacing it, you might look at the Huaqvarna 550XPII or the soon to be discontinued Dolmar (now owned by Makita) EA5000. Makita is ceasing production of Dolmar gasoline power equipment in 2024 IIRC. The Dolmar is a fantastic saw, made in Germany, with a great power to weight ratio. I've had it in a previous iteration (5100S) and my brother has been running one for years. They're all the same basic saw, but they've gone through several model number nomenclatures with Dolmar's acquisition by Makita.

I also have the above mentioned Husky. It's a good saw with autotune and plenty of power. That said, I had the crank bearing fail on a near new saw. This was probably almost certainly my fault as I'd filed the rakers too low and kept pushing through a pile of dead ash. The bucking and jerking took out the bearing. I didn't realize this was what had happened until after Husqvarna replaced the saw under warranty and was discussing the issue with my brother. My brother cuts, splits, and stacks 50+ cords of PA hardwood firewood a year and has become a great resource for everything firewood related. The issue arose as I was using an old Pferd ChainSharp chain file that does the raker and cutter at the same time. Apparently, the original version of this tool (which is what I have) takes too much off the rakers. I hadn't used these Pferd ChainSharp files for a long time, and hadn't remembered why I stopped us them. LOL. They somehow got dug out during the pandemic and all this standing dead ash was the perfect storm.
I can't wrap my mind around anyone wanting to buy a Dolmar. Nearly zero dealer support and even more damning Dolmars part availability is terrible and about to get much worse given they are being discontinued. There is a reason Dolmars don't have any marketshare of the pro market.
I actually logged with a 7900 when they first came out. Power to weight was great, but it was fragile and parts availability was terrible.

Last edited by BWalker; 07/11/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 028 was a brick compared to today's saws.

Move up to the 60cc range without a weight penalty, forget the
cost you will enjoy the performance.

Stihl 362, or Husky 562.

Personally prefer Husky but Stihl is equal.

Typically, in pro saws, Huskys run faster, Stihl has more torque.
Husky has a better anti-vibe
Your 28 Super was a ported type saw that Stihl doesn't seen to
produce anymore. More like a pro Husky.

If you have a dealer that handles them the Dolmar/Makita 6100 is
a good choice. Dolmar makes as good a saw as any, with top performance
from their top line saws. Just beware that they are high performance.
Run good oil, and gas.

Anyone that tries to tell you that one maker is significantly better,
is either lying or repeating lies. Over the last 15 years EPA has forced
the saw manufacturers to make changes for emissions. Those hurried, forced changes have caused Stihl and Husky some big headaches.

Where they made saws like the 44 or 70 series for decades, changing to 040 for 440 for Stihl, or. 171/272/372 for Husky. Those were
improvements. The EPA changes were huge, involving how the engine
breathes and exhausts. Problems ensued.

As above, a Husky guy. I'd grab a good deal on a 60cc Dolmar or Stihl in
a heartbeat. The 372 I've run for 17 years gets heavy cutting small
stuff. A lighter saw could replace the old Mac pinch saw, and would
be a nice alternative for some work.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m taking notes fellas - keep the thoughts coming

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
things they don’t tell you about chainsaws - Blade width matters.

The 261 Stihl blade is a good width, but the 362 is a bunch wider bite …

the 362 is used for “trunking” - huge limbs off the trunk, and it can handle cutting up a massive trunk of a tree…

The 261 really can’t cut up a huge trunk, but will take care of limbs on down really well.

I had both.

Now if you want to cut a 4-5 ft. Wide stump at ground level… that’s when they pull the 441 out.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/11/22.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The 028 was a brick compared to today's saws.

Move up to the 60cc range without a weight penalty, forget the
cost you will enjoy the performance.

Stihl 362, or Husky 562.

Personally prefer Husky but Stihl is equal.

Typically, in pro saws, Huskys run faster, Stihl has more torque.
Husky has a better anti-vibe
Your 28 Super was a ported type saw that Stihl doesn't seen to
produce anymore. More like a pro Husky.

If you have a dealer that handles them the Dolmar/Makita 6100 is
a good choice. Dolmar makes as good a saw as any, with top performance
from their top line saws. Just beware that they are high performance.
Run good oil, and gas.

Anyone that tries to tell you that one maker is significantly better,
is either lying or repeating lies. Over the last 15 years EPA has forced
the saw manufacturers to make changes for emissions. Those hurried, forced changes have caused Stihl and Husky some big headaches.

Where they made saws like the 44 or 70 series for decades, changing to 040 for 440 for Stihl, or. 171/272/372 for Husky. Those were
improvements. The EPA changes were huge, involving how the engine
breathes and exhausts. Problems ensued.

As above, a Husky guy. I'd grab a good deal on a 60cc Dolmar or Stihl in
a heartbeat. The 372 I've run for 17 years gets heavy cutting small
stuff. A lighter saw could replace the old Mac pinch saw, and would
be a nice alternative for some work.
Yes, the 028 is a brick and that makes sense given it's a 40 year old design.
A Husky 562 will absolutely smoke a Stihl 362.
I've seen many guys say that Huskys have less torque. The opposite is true. It's just that Huskies traditionally have had better porting so they pull more RPM in the cut. In short they absolutely scream and guys mistake this for a lack of torque.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Stick with a 16-18 inch bar and high rpm and wear some blue jeans or chaps watch your feet I “uninsulated” the toe section of some wolverines a few years ago

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Stick with a 16-18 inch bar and high rpm and wear some blue jeans or chaps watch your feet I “uninsulated” the toe section of some wolverines a few years ago
A chain will go through a pair of jeans or carharts instantly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by forsyth793
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
I bought a ms-390 about 15 years ago. it came with I think a 24 inch bar. Besides having starting issues its been a pretty good saw. i then put a 20 inch bar on it and it made all the difference. If i can get it started it is a cutting fool.

Same thing here on getting it started. I have a really low mileage 30 year old Husqvarne xp 266 and for that reason I have considered getting a new Stihl. Are the new saws any easier to start?

The biggest problem is that xp 266 has more compression than I've got Ass....

Dad had to sell his old 2100 for that reason.
If you think the 66cc saw was bad, that 100cc was a beech.

Could drop start it, barely. And not safely.
It was one that I actually put my foot in and ground started.

Wish I had bought it, 21-22# for the powerhead, add bar, and a quart of gas and a quart of bar oil, (one just over, one under) and it was a load.
But man was it fun to lay it on a big log and let it eat.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
I bought a ms-390 about 15 years ago. it came with I think a 24 inch bar. Besides having starting issues its been a pretty good saw. i then put a 20 inch bar on it and it made all the difference. If i can get it started it is a cutting fool.

Same thing here on getting it started. I have a really low mileage 30 year old Husqvarne xp 266 and for that reason I have considered getting a new Stihl. Are the new saws any easier to start?

The biggest problem is that xp 266 has more compression than I've got Ass....

Dad had to sell his old 2100 for that reason.
If you think the 66cc saw was bad, that 100cc was a beech.

Could drop start it, barely. And not safely.
It was one that I actually put my foot in and ground started.

Wish I had bought it, 21-22# for the powerhead, add bar, and a quart of gas and a quart of bar oil, (one just over, one under) and it was a load.
But man was it fun to lay it on a big log and let it eat.
The 2100 was sold when men were men no doubt. And these men often had bad backs and hips from packing one around the bush.
I briefly ran a Husky 288XP which was the generation of saw after the 2100. The weight really wore you out, but that thing had balls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 288 was a smaller saw.when I was working in the woods that was our
go to. 3 or 4 of them.

I loved them, Dad bout the 2100 to replace Pro Mac 800 when I was about
14. I was running one of those or a Pro Mac 700 at that age, so when I
went to a paying job and they had a "light" 288? I didn't know it vould be this good!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
I grabbed a 362cm and the thing is just a turd. Shoud have went bigger
Yes, big time turd. The 400 which is based on the 362 cuts circles around it.

I had high hopes for it, and the price was right. Only real requirements were that it fit on the back of the grader, an that it ran when needed. It might do sorta ok with a 20" bar, But I will take the reach of a 25" and wish for more lol. Need to sell that thing

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by slumlord

I was shopping for a firewood cutter a couple years ago. Looked at Husky and Stihl. For some reason did t care for the Husky, can’t remember exactly why. Local dealer for Stihl is anal. X that one. Ended up with a Echo CS490 20” bar. It’s referred to as “professional grade “. Love it. It’ll crank & run no problem. No surprises. Were I getting a forever and was younger I might go for an extra cc or two but that’s be across brands.

I keep it in a Poulan case so nobody’ll steal it.

Last edited by shootem; 07/11/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I run a forestry business and run all Huskys. I’ve got an 044 Stihl that sits in the shop. Carry over from logging days when Husky ran supreme. Never was impressed by Stihl. Heavy. Clunky. Plastic. That said you can’t go wrong with either saw. Find a real dealer you trust that knows saws! Not Lowes, Ace Hardware, or Tractor Supply. I order all my saw supplies from Madsens Logging or Baileys. Use non ethanol high octane fuel and a name brand mix. Learn to use a file properly. Avoid all the gadgets. It takes a little time but worth learning the skill.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Get a 60cc class Pro Level saw from Husky, Stihl or Echo. Which one would depend on the which dealer was the best, been in business the longest and who will be in the business in the future. Note, I said a pro level saw, not a homeowners saw or a farm and ranch saw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm an echo guy. Got 4. 16"- 36". Antique design compared to some others, easy to work on. All start easy, except the 800 can be a bear to start.

I got my dad's Stihl in my garage. Won't start. He's had it 8 years and probably never change the plug yet. Gonna go through it and get it back to him.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Grabbed a echo cs-400 a few years ago. pulled the carb stops off it and tuned it up. Its a cutting lil hunk of junk. Usually gets strapped to the dirtbike after the snow starts to melt off. It has seen nothing but abuse and neglect. An yet it runs better than any saw I have ever owned. total Bullschit

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Grabbed a echo cs-400 a few years ago. pulled the carb stops off it and tuned it up. Its a cutting lil hunk of junk. Usually gets strapped to the dirtbike after the snow starts to melt off. It has seen nothing but abuse and neglect. An yet it runs better than any saw I have ever owned. total Bullschit

Got it…..I think……maybe.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 288 was a smaller saw.when I was working in the woods that was our
go to. 3 or 4 of them.

I loved them, Dad bout the 2100 to replace Pro Mac 800 when I was about
14. I was running one of those or a Pro Mac 700 at that age, so when I
went to a paying job and they had a "light" 288? I didn't know it vould be this good!
Yea, the 288XP was a bit smaller than the 2100 and alot lighter, but it's still a tank compared to a 372.
The 288 I ran was also a "Lite" version, which wasn't light at all!
They actually still sell the 288xp overseas. Thought about buying one for nostalgia sake, but don't really have the use for a big saw anymore.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 11 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.