Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JK1986 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Looking into a couple options lately. I just recently purchased a Leica Magnus i 2.4-16x56mm in hopes to setup my first western rifle. This idea has basically come along since I have developed an urge to go out West for Elk, Mule Deer and Aoudad hunting Ideally something that is 8-9lbs loaded and very capable out to 400yds. I do not handload so this will be solely from factory ammunition.

Option 1.
My go-to hunting rig for the last few years or so has been a New Haven Winchester Model 70 Fwt 30-06. Routinely get 1-1.5" @ 100yds with factory federal ammo. I have been debating on replacing the trigger spring with one from Ernies and replacing stock with a B&C Medalist. My only complaint I have ever had with this rifle is questionable accuracy out past 200yds and the trigger is subpar compared to others. It has a supergrade stock which I hate to swap because of the classiness, but it is starting to show it's wear from seasonal hunting and I am thinking a stock change along with a upgrade to the trigger that I can get a little better grouping and shootability. Maybe even save me a few ounces since I am sitting just over 9lbs with this setup loaded.

Option 2.
Say screw it, keep the70 as is and purchase either a CA Ridgeline, Seekins PH2 or Tikka Veil and rock on from there.

What y'all think?

I will add that the Model 70 is/has been my absolute favorite all time rifle other than a Sauer 202.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd put the 70 into a properly bedded stock and see what it does first.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^
I put Ernie's springs in my FWT and it helped a bunch.
Really hard to beat a M70 in 30-06 for anything unless you just want a new rifle. If you feel like a project, refinishing the stock is fairly easy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
C'mon guys. Dude wants a new gun. How many times do we need to see this?

Keep the M70, maybe make some upgrades but by all means get a new gun. When is that the wrong answer?

Enable Guys, Enable!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Really hard to beat a M70 in 30-06 for anything unless you just want a new rifle. If you feel like a project, refinishing the stock is fairly easy.

Not to mention, the factory trigger is easily fixable, Ernie's spring aside.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This just screams "buy a new Winchester in 280 Rem or 270" to me wink

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had a similar dilemma kept the 06 and now have 3 270s as well as 2 308s

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Try some hand loads a 30-06 ain’t far off from a 270 within 250 yds and the factory trigger is adjustable

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Yes, I agree. An erniethegunsmith spring is a waste of money for this application. Run your azz down to the local ace hardware and buy an appropriate spring, cut it down yourself and you are in to it for less than .50 cents.. I'll agree on the erniethegunsmith spring for other applications, but not this one, since springs are so readily available. I do the same thing with Ruger m77's. Model 70's are very easy to work on, glass bed and accurize. I've shown many many times how you can do it in less than a days time. Question for the op: Does the new scope have a good ballistic type reticle or are you going to be dialing? 400 yard shots should be very easy with a rifle the OP has, after a little fine tuning. Why buy a new rifle when the old one isn't even up to snuff. I often wonder why many guys keep buying rifles when their old ones are not even fine tuned yet.. When I get a used rifle, that is the first thing I do. I've started many threads here lately on this exact thing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JK1986
Looking into a couple options lately. I just recently purchased a Leica Magnus i 2.4-16x56mm in hopes to setup my first western rifle. This idea has basically come along since I have developed an urge to go out West for Elk, Mule Deer and Aoudad hunting Ideally something that is 8-9lbs loaded and very capable out to 400yds. I do not handload so this will be solely from factory ammunition.

Option 1.
My go-to hunting rig for the last few years or so has been a New Haven Winchester Model 70 Fwt 30-06. Routinely get 1-1.5" @ 100yds with factory federal ammo. I have been debating on replacing the trigger spring with one from Ernies and replacing stock with a B&C Medalist. My only complaint I have ever had with this rifle is questionable accuracy out past 200yds and the trigger is subpar compared to others. It has a supergrade stock which I hate to swap because of the classiness, but it is starting to show it's wear from seasonal hunting and I am thinking a stock change along with a upgrade to the trigger that I can get a little better grouping and shootability. Maybe even save me a few ounces since I am sitting just over 9lbs with this setup loaded.

Option 2.
Say screw it, keep the70 as is and purchase either a CA Ridgeline, Seekins PH2 or Tikka Veil and rock on from there.

What y'all think?

I will add that the Model 70 is/has been my absolute favorite all time rifle other than a Sauer 202.

Is your M70 of USRAC mfg? If so, I wasn't aware post-64 NH Featherweight's came in Supergrade stocks, except perhaps from the custom shop - but I'm often mistaken.

Regardless, that's a heck of a big scope to top a 22" bbl'd M70 Featherweight with. All M70's are heavy enough as it is without adding a hubble on top. I think that scope would be more at home on a different rifle, so that would be my vote.

I applaud your willingness to not give in to the Magnum Mania that so many hunters new to the West succumb to. A 308, 270, 30-06 will get it done easily.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Technoman26

This. About the most simple workable trigger in existence.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad am a bit with you on this. The Leica weighs in at 27 ounces if I am right.

I think the rifle is workable and 30-06 a great fit. I would make a project out of improving it no matter if I got another rifle or not. Heck, different ammo may be all that is needed.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fix the trigger, rub the stock down and finish it nicely and put a lighter scope around 12 oz on in lightweight Talleys...and you're set.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 07/12/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Brad am a bit with you on this. The Leica weighs in at 27 ounces if I am right.

I think the rifle is workable and 30-06 a great fit. I would make a project out of improving it no matter if I got another rifle or not. Heck, different ammo may be all that is needed.

OUCH! That is way too heavy for a featherweight rifle. Think more like 13 Oz's and a good ballistic type reticle. I know of some that are on sale right now that were recently $109.00.. Makes 400 yards shots seem pretty easy that way..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
JK1986 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
May have been a misunderstanding. This rifle typically sports 42mm Z6i. I mounted the Leica to it just to see how it felt and being since it is hands down the favorite from my safe.

Scope was purchased with intention of starting a new setup but have since started to have second thoughts and using it on the Fwt instead. Just too many good memories with that gun to put it up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You mentioned a supergrade stock … As Brad said, I’m not aware of that as a factory offering. Some of those aftermarket supergrade stocks – especially the ones which had been available through CDNN and others – are very heavy. I’ll be curious to see pics of it if you think that it was original from the factory.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Keep the rifle. If your going to use that oversize scope, drill a hole in the butt stock, and insert about a 12" axle, and put some small like bicycle training wheels on it. Pull it until ready to shoot.

J
JK1986 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Got home and had to check for myself. Corrected. Box states “Grade 3” not Supergrade.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]nina dobrev wallpaper

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If you like your rifle and scope as is, then stick with them. I’d have it properly bedded in the existing stock if it isn’t already and get the trigger down to a crisp 2.5 to 3 pounds. Then I’d practice shooting at longer ranges.

1-1.5 MOA will put meat on the table, but different loads can probably beat that. I’d start with anything that uses a Barnes TTSX or Nosler Ballistic Tip. Then chronograph them and work out your drops at longer ranges using the Federal Ballistic Calculator.

I’ll let others comment on glass but 27 ounces seems heavy.

Best of all is if you do all of this AND learn to handload. Prices are dropping which will make it easier to get started, and you should be able to beat 1-1.5 MOA considerably.

Then you'll be delusional like the rest of us.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/12/22.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JK1986
May have been a misunderstanding. This rifle typically sports 42mm Z6i. I mounted the Leica to it just to see how it felt and being since it is hands down the favorite from my safe.

Scope was purchased with intention of starting a new setup but have since started to have second thoughts and using it on the Fwt instead. Just too many good memories with that gun to put it up.

I totally understand wanting to use the fwt. They are great rifles. I have a few and love them myself. They can be made to shoot very well, but you also want to keep it feeling as light and nimble as possible. A 30-06 at 7 1/2 pounds is a fine tool. Yours sounds a little heavy for what it is. I have a 338 and 300WBY that are only 7 pounds without scope and 8 pounds scoped, so yours can be made lighter. It may require a stock change to get it down in that ball park though. After just looking at the picture you posted, are you sure it is a "new haven" and not a BACO? That Leica is a pig.. You weren't happy with the Z6?? You also mentioned putting it in a B&C stock. You will gain nothing by doing that. They are no lighter than the stock it already has on it. Think Mcmillan, Bansner or Brown PoundR..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.