Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Got like 20 rounds of 243 Hornady Inrerlock bullets loaded up and can you safely pull these rounds to reload with a different powder? Been laying around for a while and want to reload them with RL 26….yes or no?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't see why not, but what's wrong with them at the moment?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A absotively. If they’ve been sitting a couple years or so you might want to bump the bullets down a few thousandths to break any bonding loose. Makes them a lot easier to pull especially with an impact hammer.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by shootem
A absotively. If they’ve been sitting a couple years or so you might want to bump the bullets down a few thousandths to break any bonding loose. Makes them a lot easier to pull especially with an impact hammer.

That’s a great idea, never thought of that. I was given 80 rounds of 270 Weatherby a while back. I bet that would have made it much easier.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by shootem
Yup. Option B when you have a bunch to do is Grip-N-Pull

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yup. Option B when you have a bunch to do is Grip-N-Pull[/quote]

Does the Grip N Pull mar bullets, making them less than perfect to reload? I've read yes and no. Wondering what the general consensus is on The Forum

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/14/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having used a impact puller for years I can tell you from experience that a collet puller is definately the way to go. I have an RCBS and it leaves the bullets unmarred.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Having used a impact puller for years I can tell you from experience that a collet puller is definately the way to go. I have an RCBS and it leaves the bullets unmarred.

Impact puller also lea es bullets unharmed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have three types of bullet pullers. The impact hammer works on some well. On some it doesn't. I have some pulled bullets where the lead has slipped out of the jacket, or part way. The types that grab the bullets will often (some hardly noticeable) leave a crimp in the bullet jacket. I'm not sure that does any damage and I'm not sure about accuracy after doing this. Some seem to be affected and some not so much in my opinion.
If I were to buy on set up, it would be the type that grabs the bullet, beware that you'll have to buy a collet for every caliber you pull. The one caliber I've had zero luck with it 17. The type that grabs the bullet really puts a big dent in the bullet and the impact hammer just has not worked at all. In that case, I think a pliers will work as well as anything - just poke the loaded shall above the hole in the press where the dies go, grab the bullet with a pliers and lower the ram.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Little green plastic hammer too weak... Ask me how I know this. I like the collet much better..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have used a Hornady bullet puller. It’s a collet type. The bullets are in good condition afterwards and I have used them again. The worst part about pulling bullets is that the powder in the casing is kind of tight or stuck in uneven places and difficult to get complete out. Don’t expect to salvage much powder and it’s almost worth another cleaning which means bye bye to the primer. You can try a rotating brush in a case prep center and that kind of works. Messy, but works.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used the hammer and collet type of pullers with reasonable success. Regardless of which type you use there will most likely scratches along the length of the bearing surface. As fas as I can tell, they haven't affected accuracy in any way. What will affect accuracy is if you somehow damage the base of the bullet. I've used pulled bullets on hunts and they worked just fine. It seems that the scratches didn't hurt anything other than the deer.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/14/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Make sure you check carefully that none of the old powder is left in the case. Compressed loads can sometimes cake up some.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wanna know where BSA got the red banded bullets and colored primers? laugh

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I wanna know where BSA got the red banded bullets and colored primers? laugh

8mm mauser steel core cool. When I was done that day, I had almost 2 pound of powder!! Good for dumping down ground squirrel holes I guess?? ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve had good success with the gripnpull mentioned above. Minimal marring, particularly after you’ve used it a little bit.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree...this is the way to go 👍.....Hb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (160user, 12344mag, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,883
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.