-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Even using a Redding titanium carbide sizing die I'll sometimes give cases a very light spritz of One Shot to reduce the force required to size them. Afterwards I'll spread them on a towel or old t-shirt, spray a bit of isopropol alcohol over them and shake them up a bit to remove what lube that will.

So - how about you?

Fwiw, I also give cast bullets a very light coat of One Shot before sizing them in a Lee bullet sizer which also reduces the force needed for sizing, but never bother removing it since I figure the things are either powder coated or going to get some standard bullet lube anyway.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No, because I've never felt the need to lube with carbide sizing dies v. pistol brass. Just one more needless thing to contend with, IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As far as prelubing un-PC'ed bullets, you might be putting the cart before the horse if using a Lee push-through die. By lubing the bullets first you'll find it easier going plus you won't potentially partially collapse the lube grooves if they already have lube in them.

If bullets are that tough to push through some kind of die you might want to revisit the diameter your mold is dropping bullets at.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/14/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
No, because I've never felt the need to lube with carbide sizing dies v. pistol brass. Just one more needless thing to contend with, IMO.

^^THIS^^^

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Never wipe it off, I give them a light hit with one shot then toss them in the dillon case feeder, makes the xl650 run almost effortlessly …

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Same here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No.That is why I bought carbide dies

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
When loading on a single stage I will agree that lube is not needed with carbide dies and is the reason everyone buys them, and most probably aren’t loading very large quantities in one setting,

but alot of times I’ll load 2k of 9mm in an afternoon and trust me the one shot makes a huge difference!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I load .357 on my Dillon Square Deal B which has carbide dies. 300-400 per hour and I do batches of 1000, with no lube.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Redding claims carbide ring dies are not as accurate as their tapered steel dies for the longer revolver cartridges (357, 44 etc.). Redding explains the reason for this is poor case-to-chamber fit due to excessively sized cases resulting from the carbide ring being sufficiently small diameter so as to provide adequate neck tension, whereas the body of the case below the base of the seated bullet needs not this smaller diameter. This is why they offer their "dual-ring" carbide dies for those cartridges. I tried the dual-ring dies and found they cannot size the case full-length except with the neck sized the fixed length determined by the fixed distance between the two carbide rings. Using bullets of varying length or seating to a depth that does not perfectly match the design distance of the carbide rings results in an ill fit between the dual-ring die sized case and bullet.

The Lee Factory Crimp die includes a carbide ring that is larger in diameter than a typical carbide sizing die. It does not provide adequate neck tension for the bullet nor is it intended to. Lee claims it is intended to size the case with a seated bullet to ensure chambering of all loaded cartridges. I found that it can be used to full-length size the case to a diameter that is not excessively skinny. I use it without the crimp, preferring instead the Redding Profile crimp dies for that purpose. The standard carbide sizing die can be set in the lock ring to size only the neck to provide adequate tension when the bullet is subsequently seated. By adjusting the depth of the die in the lock ring, bullets of different lengths or seating depths can be accommodated. I also have the tapered Redding steel die, but I prefer this two-die method.

I found One Shot lube to be effective at smoothing operations on a progressive press with carbide dies. However, it has several times proven insufficient with the Redding steel die and also with some rifle dies. For those dies, I prefer lanolin-based lubes applied by hand or in a spray with an isopropyl alcohol carrier. One Shot lube is a polymer coating dissolved in hexane.

Hexane is a well-known health risk. It is a substantial constituent of gasoline. It's ill-advised to inhale hexane fumes or practice skin-contact with it. I don't see a reason to fear contact with One Shot any more than gasoline, but neither is something I care to practice. I use nitrile gloves, spray it outside, and immediately leave the area. After the hexane has evaporated, I do not believe the One Shot polymer coating presents such a significant health risk as the hexane.

The polymer lube has notable effectiveness. I already described the uses for which I think it is less effective than lanolin, but the lubrication it provides is recognizable. Unlike lanolin, the One Shot polymer coating does not appear to attract dust or other particles or allow them to become embedded on the surface. Because of this, there is no reason to advise wiping the coating off unless the buildup of the coating is excessive, a result of spraying far too much of it on. In my experience, it is difficult to build up an excessive amount because the hexane carrier tends to wash the excess off as the spray continues to be deposited or if multiple coats are made. With some effort, it is possible to apply too much.

Even though I do not think One Shot needs to be removed, I trim my cases and might also chamfer and deburr them following sizing performed with One Shot applied. After these steps, I do wash the cases. This is for quantities in the many hundreds to several thousand, so individually brushing out brass chips and wiping cases like I might do with a small batch of rifle cases is not so practical.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Removing something that would possibly increase thrust on the firearm action seems like a no brainer. I wipe my cases with rubbing alcohol after sizing with any kind of lube.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use one shot for straight walled cases loaded in my progressive machines. I never wipe them.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Creeker
I use one shot for straight walled cases loaded in my progressive machines. I never wipe them.

Some of us prefer to work smarter not harder….

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 07/17/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to lube about every tenth case of .44 Magnum, just because it made operating the lever on the 550 Dillon a lot easier. Not much, just enough to aid sizing a bit. It seemed to make a huge difference, and I wasn't using enough lube to make a mess.

I think it would be useful on the larger cases (.357, .41, .44, .45Colt, .454, etc.) to do the same as I did, lube maybe every tenth case or so. It can't hurt anything, and helps things run smoothly.

I sure wouldn't bother on 9mm, .38 Super, 10mm, or .45 ACP, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use it on 44 mag to reduce the resizing effort on an SDB. And I use it sometimes when resizing 223 in large batches. Neither case do I wipe it off anymore because I've learned that cartridge cases worked just fine when lubed. Basically I've moved past the old wives tale about not lubing cases.

The only reason I don't use OneShot more is that it is too expensive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,029
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.