Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smarquez
I'd try to get a breaker bar and socket on the crank and turn it over before you hit it with the starter. Then I would pull the plugs if you can get to them, dump a little Techron in and spin the motor. After that everything everybody else said.

Definitely this ^^^^^^^^

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
If it’s a stick make sure it’s not in gear don’t trust just pushing the clutch in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would make sure the engine spins without load for a few revolutions. Startup is rough on engines until the oil flows. You could probably get away with pulling the distributor (I know) lead and cranking for a few seconds, do at least that rather than just firing up dry. It depends on how much you liked that thing before it was parked.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I would make sure the engine spins without load for a few revolutions. Startup is rough on engines until the oil flows. You could probably get away with pulling the distributor (I know) lead and cranking for a few seconds, do at least that rather than just firing up dry. It depends on how much you liked that thing before it was parked.
Easier to pull the fuel pump relay.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My anti theft, anti start was pulling the coil wire

Yank my coil wire discretely cram it in my coat pocket. While I went into a store, business, one of them thar picture shows.

Who has a coil wire nowadays though. On their fancy schmancy 2025 fàg wagon??

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A blast or two of wd-40 in each cyl is all you want.

Pull all plugs, a one-second blast of WD per hole, crank it over a few times, re-install the plugs, and off you go.

After having checked the oil level and addressed the fuel.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by tnscouter
I have an old Acura that hasn't been started in about 4 years.

What model and year?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
My anti theft, anti start was pulling the coil wire

Yank my coil wire discretely cram it in my coat pocket. While I went into a store, business, one of them thar picture shows.

Who has a coil wire nowadays though. On their fancy schmancy 2025 fàg wagon??

2025??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would agree with most of what I've seen here with regard to getting rid of the old fuel, old oil, pressurize the oil system. I would be inclined to squirt some Kroil, 1st choice, or Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug ports and also wherever (depending on the type of engine) I could get some on the valve stems. I would then turn it over by hand with the plugs out a few revs and let it sit overnight before seriously trying to start it. I would not, as someone suggested above, spray WD-40 in it. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil or even a good lubricant. It's got something suspended in it (maybe silicone, I don't know) to provide a water/moisture barrier and it will eventually gum up anything it's used on. Just my $0.02.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Startron

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Drain the gas tank, check the oil and coolant, pump up the tires. Check under the hood and in the breather for fluffy the mouse. If it has been used as a nest, don't start it until it's all cleaned out and the wiring and hoses are looked over for mouse damage..If it's all clear, put in some fresh gas and give it a crank. It might be wise to flush out the fuel lines first also. I'd change the oil/filter and fuel filter after it runs an hour or so.

Last edited by reivertom; 07/16/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Four years? Put a booster on it and turn the key.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
2001 mdx. -tnscouter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how it is stored. A car or truck stored in a covered area and not subject to lots of moisture will probably be fine with the usual checks- oil, gas, turn over by hand, pull the distributor and crank the oil pump with a drill and shaft to oil up the parts and put power to the battery.

If it has been exposed to weather, better make sure the engine hasn't gotten water down any holes into the bores or heads or you could do more damage than you can imagine in short order.

As far as gas, sour gas has a real distinct smell to it- usually strong like vinegar. However, sludge and other contaminants can still plug up the works, especially the fuel lines, carb jets, and filters. I think Startron is the best additive in this case as it is enzyme based and will dissolve most gelled fuel . I wouldn't put any Seafoam in it until you got it running a bit first , then dump a bottle of it in the tank and run it until it stops smoking... hopefully you won't have to run a full tank of gas to run it through.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fellows I appreciate all the help. How much oil do you squirt in the spark plug openings? -tnscouter

Not necessary. Only time you need to oil a cylinder is a flooded no-start condition.

Trust me.

-Ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kendibs
Fellows I appreciate all the help. How much oil do you squirt in the spark plug openings? -tnscouter
Not necessary. Only time you need to oil a cylinder is a flooded no-start condition. Trust me.
-Ken
Ken - not arguing here, but very curious - because I have learned to squirt in a very light dose if an engine has been sitting dead for years.

What is your reasoning on this - would like to trust you.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kendibs

Not necessary. Only time you need to oil a cylinder is a flooded no-start condition.

Trust me.

-Ken

Hardly. Guys have broken piston rings and ring lands by following that advice.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pal

You’re not gonna break any piston rings unless it’s rusted and seized up and if that’s the case, the engine will need a rebuild or replacement anyways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by pal

You’re not gonna break any piston rings unless it’s rusted and seized up and if that’s the case, the engine will need a rebuild or replacement anyways.

Not necessarily. If there is light rust in the bores a light coat of oil will help to lubricate the cylinders so the rings don't drag the surface rust up and down the cylinder and score them before the oil is pumped up enough to lubricate the pistons and rings. It may also help to break free any rings that are rusted into the ring grooves...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If there’s light rust it’s blown out easier if it’s dry. Oil will only help it cling… but light rust ain’t gonna mean much after 5 minutes of run time.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,821
Posts18,496,525
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.