-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used the alakanak one year. It was a lot harder to heat than the canvas wall tent. Harder to set up. Condesated a lot of water when we used the propane heater and cooked inside.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So My preference Good Old canvas Wall tent

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 12 x 12 Alaknak has worked well, although only three years. I use it for fly-ins and short portaging into a wilderness area, where poles cannot be cut. Must have a vestibule for long trips or more than a couple guys, or if you like to change clothes, shoes(which I recommend), etc before you get inside the main area. It need lots of tie-down/stake spots, so bedrock is a pain to deal with. Like has been said, use a small wood stove. Spark arrestor is a must, as the material melts easily. Mine has beer holders on the walls. smile I use an "eco fan" on the stove. It really helps.

In general, I'd say that if you take care of it, as I do, it will serve you well. If you are going to treat it roughly, get a wall tent. If it will be used for more than a week or so at a time, get a wall tent. If you or your buddies are rowdy or drinkers, get a wall tent. smile If used in the most horrible weather (blizzard or something), get a wall tent.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well said DPole

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We've been using a Reliable 14X16 internal frame for a number of years. It's well made and we have been very pleased with it.

They are big and bulky, but nothing works like canvas and a good wood stove!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Speaking of wood stoves.... Looking to buy a nice light weight camp stove for my canvas tent. Any suggestions?

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those Simms are nice stove. Light weght and fold up for packing if need be, icluidng nested chimneys. I have had mine for over 15 years with no problems. You do have to spray them with vegetable oil after each season to keep from rusting. Expensive though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
M
My experience is pretty close to that of high_country_. We're about to take out our Alaknak 12x12 for the seventh season. We usually use it for two weeks a year, one in Sept. for grouse and one in Oct. for elk. Three times we've had snow up to about 6" for a couple of days in the tent. We use a wood stove (Riley Wrangler)and, while we've had some issues with condensation, it hasn't been that bad. Nothing a little sponging up in the corners hasn't taken care of. We also try to be pretty careful about keeping it vented. Very comfortable for two guys, fine for three. No problems with leakage, though I probably ought to seam seal again. The new models look like they have bigger vents. We got the Alaknak due to price and less weight than the wall tents. If you get one, definitely get the vestibule and the spark shield for the roof.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Put me down in the canvas tent camp for many of the same reasons others have stated here. My tent is 10" x 12" which is a little smaller than many prefer. But heated with a Hunter model Cylinder Stove it keeps us warm and comfortable.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Fort McPherson Tent and Canvas Company tent. It's a big one, 12x14 and with a wood burning stove in it it's nice and toasty. I can't wait to get out this winter and do some winter camping.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For our hunting camp we use a 14x16 canvas wall tent, a 17x17x 14 tall pyramid tent and a 12x14 cook tent. the two sleeping tents are from Norseman tent and awning edmonton alta, the cook tent is jones tent and awning vancouver, they've been out of business for a long time now , it has 21 seasons on it and good for more.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.