Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am having to wade onto the steep mountainside, in a monstrous tangle of briars and saplings, to cut down small trees that are blocking my view. I have to do this every 4 years and it is 4 or 5 hours of brutal work.

There are all kinds of blackberry bushes and vines growing, I don't care about them, they will not exceed 8 ft. in height.

But the poplar, maple and locust trees are 20 feet high and in a few years will block my 27-mile views.

Is there some herbicide I can spray, one time, that will kill these saplings? I am not a big an of Roundup.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Remedy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tordon. Some states like Colorado you can't buy it unless you have license. I get mine in Missouri when my buddy goes there.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/17/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Crossbow herbicide

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ill second Tordon.
Gonna wipe out mulberry trees by my fence.
Used some 2 yrs ago for some tree/bush deal along other side of property. Not even a sprig came back.

Couldnt find any last yr.
Chain farm store carries it.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/17/22.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is there an herbicide where I can cut down the little tree, and just spray the herbicide on the freshly cut stump?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whatever you use, use the hack/n-squirt method

Go to these trees, take a hatchet and whack into the cambium, apply a concentrated squirt of your favorite herbicide. It will take it to the roots. Do it this fall as all sap is flowing back downward.

Trees will not sprout next sprout. Will die, rot and fall at gravity’s pace

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HiVar XL is some pretty bad ass stuff. But it’s expensive

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did the hack and attack. Worked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ex father in law used to use Tordon and Crossbow.

I think he had pretty good luck with both killing brush.

I cannot remember which one in particular but one of those he would spray on a hedge stump when he would cut smallish hedge out of fence rows and it would kill the stump, no sprouts would come back.

Hedge=Osage Orange.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Locust is a legume, like peas and alfalfa, and is similarly extremely sensitive to 2-4D.

I use a commercial 2-4D blend known as "Brash" to successfully eliminate Chinese elm, blackberry, and various other woody plants.

I am sure it will kill your poplar and maple as well as the locust. But in all actuality, "Round-Up" is the safest herbacide around. I would rather take a bath in Round-Up than inhale a whiff of 2-4D mist.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crossbow herbicide has worked for me. Wish I could remember the mix ratio - got some more 'underbrush' and other other unwanteds to get rid of this fall

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Is there an herbicide where I can cut down the little tree, and just spray the herbicide on the freshly cut stump?
Round-up is commonly used in this application. Liberally apply the concentrate directly to the freshly cut stump with a paintbrush.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Potassium nitrite.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am having to wade onto the steep mountainside, in a monstrous tangle of briars and saplings, to cut down small trees that are blocking my view. I have to do this every 4 years and it is 4 or 5 hours of brutal work.

There are all kinds of blackberry bushes and vines growing, I don't care about them, they will not exceed 8 ft. in height.

But the poplar, maple and locust trees are 20 feet high and in a few years will block my 27-mile views.

Is there some herbicide I can spray, one time, that will kill these saplings? I am not a big an of Roundup.

Roundup is not made for that stuff anyway.

Mix Remedy 1 part to 3 parts diesel and spray the bottom 3 feet of the tree/bush, directly on the trunk. All the way to the ground... weed eat the bottom if you have to. It'll kill 'em. Nothing much lives through an application to the base like that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mix 1 quart of remedy to 3-4 quarts diesel. Basal spray the saplings or hack and attack as suggested earlier. You can get the Remedy at TSC or it’s cheaper if you have an Atwood’s. Been using it for years to control Chinese Tallow, Mesquite, Yaupon, Locust and Persimmon. It’s your huckleberry.

Last edited by CRJ1960; 07/17/22.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) is an effective choice. When applied to stumps, it stimulates wood decomposition, breaking it down quickly and giving a complete kill. Use a half-inch drill to make holes in the stump at least 4 inches deep and 4 inches apart. plus it's cheap.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Crossbow and diesel mix is very effective and
Can add tordon garlon hyvar remedy
Also hi depth crossbow and diesel
Must use diesel

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Mix Remedy 1 part to 3 parts diesel and spray the bottom 3 feet of the tree/bush, directly on the trunk. All the way to the ground... weed eat the bottom if you have to. It'll kill 'em. Nothing much lives through an application to the base like that.

This. The generic is Triclopyr 4 (or Relegate).

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This. The generic is Triclopyr 4 (or Relegate).
Same chemicals with multiple name brands. The local farm or garden store should carry it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.