Hop To
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
JB,
What is the acceptable weight variations for brass cases of the same manufacturer assuming cleaned, deprimed, and trimmed:
7x57, .257 Roberts etc.?
30-06 and kindred cases?
.300 Weatherby and similar?

Thanks in advance!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As little as possible can help, but have found other factors are far more important, especially for typical big game handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I'm going to sort then the first cut will be for uniform necks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's a more specific example. Last month did a second "update" for Handloader magazine on new bullets and powders in the 6.5 Creedmoor. (This may dismay some people, but one of the interesting things about the 6.5 CM is how many readers continually want more info--and indication that it ain't fading away, as so many other shooters apparently hope.) While putting together handloads , found I had several different kinds of brass--including Lapua with small-rifle primer pockets, from some factory ammo they sent for part of the project.

I already had two different batches of Hornady brass, along with some Norma cases, also from fired factory ammo. Got curious and weighed all three, and the first Hornady batch averaged 148.5 grains, varying 2.1 grains. The second averaged 145.5 grains, varying .6 grain. The Norma cases averaged 155.5 grains, varying 2.2 grains, and the Lapua cases average 166.8 grains, varying .8 grain. Couldn't tell any difference in how various loads shot in the different cases, since they all shot well.

Far more important is even neck thickness, from one side of the neck to the other. I tend to look for no more than .001" in variation--and all three brands qualified.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB - I hope you were testing all the stuff with a Tikka so everyone comes out smelling like roses smile

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i may not be a writer and yes Mule Deer does help us alot with his expertise and i am greatfull for his help . but if your just a handloader for hunting ammo that is used under 200 - 300 yards weighing cases is a waste of time. FTR, bench rest shooters and long range rifle hunters and some other shooting groups only need to weigh and measure with good brass cases. enjoy shooting,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... Couldn't tell any difference in how various loads shot in the different cases, since they all shot well...

John, you mean the would they shoot similar groups, or you mean that they wold all shoot to the same point of impact?

Or maybe both...?

Thank You,

Alvaro

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, John
I have a new batch of Norma .300 Weatherby brass that has very consistent weights that matches some of my existing .300 Wby weights. However, some of my Wby brass from different batches over the years varies a bit, some as much as 4.2 grains. Perhaps I’ll load only the old brass that matches the new Norma stuff close enough for hunting and practice and see how it groups with my RL 26 load.
Cheers

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WAM,

You mean the batches vary as much as 4.2 grains from each other? I wouldn't worry about that small amount in cases as heavy as .300 Weatherbys.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
alvaro,

I mean they would shoot similar groups--but yes, they also tended to shoot pretty close to the same POI.

The rifle used is a new Weatherby Vanguard First Lite, which has a medium-weight barrel which makes firm contact with the tip of the stock's forend. Unlike the synthetic stocks of some Vanguards I've had in the past, the stock is very stiff, and the rifle shot very well.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, John
Yes, the extreme spread of weights was 4.2 grains. I sorted out a few that were on the light side and kept the ones with close weights. A couple of donor boxes of vintage “tiger box” ammo that was loaded with what appeared to be old Interlocks or Hornady SP’s have a different head stamp with smaller lettering, but weights are +/- 1.5 grains of the newer brass. I pulled all the bullets and polished the unfired brass after de-capping. I picked it up at a pawn shop and it was pretty funky from years of improper storage. Now it shines like new money!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.