Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by shaman
I had a visit from Mo, the pharmacist. She's a fiesty thing, and one of my favorites.

She was glad to see me in such good shape this AM.She'd been monitoring my progress through the last month. I take it the tale of the test results painted a rather dark view of things. She's been in conference with the oncologist. They're possibly plotting to give my kidneys a rest and have me knock off on Thursday instead of Friday. I guess last month I found out what "too-sick to be scared" is like. Funny, but I didn't notice it seriously affecting my improvising skills. I was making the nurses laugh all the way through.

The IV attendant had me moved to the COVID Oubliette. As Flip Wilson used to say: "In the corner, in the back, in the dark." I've got a private room all to myself today. I found out they're still worried I might be able to transmit the disease, even though I had a negative test on 7/4. It's fine. I'm not worried and I can miss all the hijinks. Some days around here, it's like the freakin' leper section at the Pool of Bethesda. I 'd go to strike up a conversation with the wretch in the next recliner and find out the wretch has nothing left under the COVID mask. That certainly makes things awkward.

Moose brought me a sandwich from Jimmy John's. That's the best part of having a couple extra weeks off from the Bug Juice: my appetite came back. I had Lee's Famous Recipe Dead Fried Chicken last night. This isn't my favorite, but I darn near hurled an order of Popeye's two weeks ago. Things are improving.

I would hope it was β€œdead” fried chicken πŸ˜ŠπŸ“

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Keep hanging in there!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this Shaman - had been wondering about your progress.

In addition to several progressively involved surgeries, our absolutely dear and precious loved one went though 4 of those regimes - rang that bell every time with a smile. Still can't fathom how she managed all of that with such grace, and yet she left and is hearing bells in Heaven now.

Still praying on your behalf and wishing you all of the best - want you to be among us and able to remember ringing that bell for many years to come. Forward.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Prayers for your recovery
Thanks for the updates

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I would hope it was β€œdead” fried chicken πŸ˜ŠπŸ“

I often go into Lee's and when they ask what I want I tell them I want a half a dead chicken in a box. You should see the looks I get. When I'm asked to explain I tell them "I want the chicken dead. I want it cut up. I want it fried and put in a box with sides. You can do that, can't you?"

"You want it dead?"

"Do you serve it any other way?"

There's a Wednesday night 3 piece dark special I call "Dead Chicken Bingo." It costs a few bucks to enter. There's a waiting area full of people. They hand out tickets and then call out numbers. When they call your number, you win dead chicken in a box. Everybody's a winner.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I showed up for Day 2 and found that things had changed. They'd double-checked my COVID story and realized that I was well outside the 21 day exposure limit. I got sprung from the COVID oubliette and thrown back out into the main area. My attendant was sick and tired of having to suit up in hazmat every time she went to see me.

Yeesh!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hope this rids you of cancer forever. Fugk cancer.
How did you come to lose your balls?

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing your personal journey as you ring that damn Bell!!

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Mr Shaman, Keep the faith. My wife & I have both had cancer. I got a "neo bladder" out of my bladder cancer 12 years ago.
I did not have to go through any chemo or radiation but had plenty of cat scans and catheters for 10 years.
On the other hand, my wife had ovarian surgery and then 6 cycles of chemo. The last two cycles were delayed a bit due to lousy lab results.
Still have cat scans and oncologists visits for awhile yet.
Keep that positive attitude and I believe God has good things for you down the road
God's blessings
Rod

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unless something changes, today is my last day at Chemo Camp.

My kidneys took a hit with COVID, and they want to go easy on them. The easiest way to do that is to knock off the bug juice a day early. I go for my final labs at 0730 and then report to camp. They'll make the decision while I'm on the initial saline flush.

I know now why so many people I've known who go through this ordeal come away saying they were glad they did it, but would never be able to do it again. I still have the worst of it to go through. That will start sometime in the next couple of days and last most of next week. It's like one of those video games where every level gets harder. The next two weeks will be a grind.

How do I feel? I signed the release form. I walked into this fully informed. It beats the alternatives. This AM, the results of my latest HCG Tumor Marker test have me back below 1, and my AFB from earlier in the week is on its way back down as well. These would be a good indication the cancer is dead. I have a PET scan scheduled in early August that will confirm it.

KYHillChick keeps wanting to know how I'm doing. Every day of this I keep being reminded that I've entered a land without a vocabulary to describe it. Next to nobody ever goes here, so there just ain't words for it. The surgeon who took off my nut last year gave me some numbers:

5000 cases of Seminoma in the US per year.
About half are a form that is not like mine: that leaves 2,500 cases.
Of those 2,500 cases, 95% get successful treatment by just having the nut removed. That leaves 125 poor schlubs per year getting a trip to Chemo Camp. Most are under 25. None of them are over 50. I'm days away from turning 64.

Outside my dorm room Junior year there was a Graffiti wall that guys had been marking up for a few years. The one that used to catch my eye every morning when I'd leave for classes was "Any man can piss on the floor. It takes a hero to $hit on the ceiling." If I get to ring the bell today, I will feel I've lived up to that motto.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only way to get through is to go. This whole thing has not dulled your axiality to communicate effectively!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's official. Chemo Camp will be over for me this afternoon. The latest labs show my kidneys are improving, but they don't want to push them any further. I'm on my second to last bag of bug juice.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Awesome! Good going shaman

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That is some great news. Rattle the walls when ya ring the bell, congrats.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great news Sha!

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Praying for you. Kick it’s butt.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Bell Ringing Ceremony is teed up. I'm just waiting for the last drop in the IV

With apologies to Anonymous, the Scot, my address to the IV Infusion Room:

"Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They may be sorry for my going away
And all the nurses that e'er I had
They might wish me one more day

But since it fell unto my lot
That I should rise and y'all should not
I gently rise and softly call
Goodbye, and Joy be to you all."

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just a quick update: all is well.

I've felt like crap on-and-off, but this is normal. I have no stamina, but I can at least get to the bathroom from the recliner and back again. Things are gradually improving. I still get waves of feeling poisoned, but those are getting less.

I'm overstocked on reading material, but have no way of enjoying it. Reading takes concentration, and that takes stamina. You don't notice it until you don't have it. Luckily, I've got Youtube on the big TV, and I just surf mindlessly. That kills hours.

I also seem to be able to write. Go figure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good news, sir. Get strong, stay strong and be well.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,069
Posts18,482,577
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.