Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've owned and shot quite a few Model 37 single shots since I bought my first one new in 1951 (28" .410; still have it). Had all guages and bbl. lengths except for a 28 and a "Youth Model," including 2 32" bbls, a 12 and a 16.

All that I've had were full choked--in several cases REALLY full choked! The choke was marked with a long, solid straight line stamped on the barrel among the other markings.

Has anyone seen other choke markings on a 37? Modified and cylinder chokes were available on special order according to several of the old Winchester catalogs, but I wonder if they were specially marked or just used shorter (or longer?) "line markings"?

Is the Modified choke that the Youth Model is supposed to have marked by a word or by some version of "the line"?

I've also seen several 37s with custom work but always assumed it was done aftermarket by a "gunsmith" or an actual gunsmith, depending on the quality of the work.

But were there 37s with custom work done by Winchester itself? Hard to imagine but back in the day, the paying customer was (nearly) always right!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Mesa: I have also owned most all versions/gauges of the original Winchester Model 37's - like you, except for the 28 gauge.
I turned all of them for a profit some time back though.
The only Model 37 I have left is an unfired 16 gauge and its barrel is marked: CHOKE -----

Those dotted bars after the above CHOKE are my feeble attempt at making a long solid bar - which is on my barrel just after the word "CHOKE".
Wish I could be of more help - I am not sure what the "CHOKE" symbolizes/refers to in the way of what choke it is?
Info appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few, had a few others. All mine just say choke and are pretty tight.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the responses, guys! My suspicion is that about 99.9% of 37s were "full-fuller" choke--that seems to have been what folks who bought single shot shotguns wanted back in the day. Not the best choice in our times of steel shot and sabot slugs, but that wasn't their problem.

I'm gonna look around for info on the "Youth Model" to see if the choke on those was marked, and I'll let you know what I find.

P.S. my two 37s that I've kept for "users" (a .410 and a 20) have been custom choked to improved cylinder. I suspect that would have been a more reasonable choice for the originals too, but you can't buck "fashion"! People wanted their shotguns to "shoot like a rifle" when I was a kid!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mesa
Thanks for the responses, guys! My suspicion is that about 99.9% of 37s were "full-fuller" choke--that seems to have been what folks who bought single shot shotguns wanted back in the day. Not the best choice in our times of steel shot and sabot slugs, but that wasn't their problem.

I'm gonna look around for info on the "Youth Model" to see if the choke on those was marked, and I'll let you know what I find.

P.S. my two 37s that I've kept for "users" (a .410 and a 20) have been custom choked to improved cylinder. I suspect that would have been a more reasonable choice for the originals too, but you can't buck "fashion"! People wanted their shotguns to "shoot like a rifle" when I was a kid!
You're right. All the full choke guns back then were extremely tight. Ive got a small collection of Winchester model 12s and early 870s. They'll put a full pattern in a hat at 30 yards. Just picked up a 1959 Model 12 Heavy duck 3" that's extremely tight too.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Mesa: In my gun shopping just yesterday I ran across a Winchester Model 37 in 20 gauge that was also marked simply "CHOKE".
It was in poor'ish condition but was still priced at $200.00.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I just got an extremely nice 20 from a member for $300 (thanks for the nice little gun at a nice price and especially for going thru all the Californicated hassle to get it to me, Bugger!). It too is just marked "choke" with the "long line." Going to be a "grandson loaner."

Thanks for the replies!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
P
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I came across it while searching for more information on a Model 37 I inherited from my grandpa. I haven't been able to find another shotgun that shares the features.

I decided to make an account and share my Model 37s features since Mesa was asking about choke markings.

Mine is a 20ga youth model I think. It has the red rubber recoil pad and shorter length of pull. It's not a red letter, the bottom of the receiver? is smooth. As for the choke, the barrel is stamped MOD CHOKE. As far as I can tell there weren't any 20ga youth models made with a modified choke. All the ones I've found have been full choke.

I'm not sure how to share pictures on here but if I figure it out I'll share them.

Anyway, hope this information was helpful in some way!

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Pewkachu: Welcome to the CampFire and thanks for that input/information.
I wish I had taken better note of the Model 37's I have owned in the past.
I do know the Model 37's in 12 gauge using "magnum" munitions really kicked!
Finding written information on these humble (but somewhat valuable!) guns is difficult. Maybe I will drag out some of my old Winchester Catalogs and manuals to see if I can add anything more on the "choke" markings.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here’s what I believe is what was advertised as a “Beginners” model 37.
26” barrel, 13 1/8” LOP, Red rubber Winchester marked pad, and Modified Choke (marked on the barrel).

Although I haven’t seen another with a none-solid pad.

Last edited by jsgwoodsman; 10/26/22.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.