Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Make one or a buy one? Air mattress pump with a hose?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I use the flexible ice packs you get for sprains. Take 3-4 of them to the range and lay two over the barrel after each shot

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep

Sham Wow soaked in ice water

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tikkanut- yeah. Some cold water nearby and a rag to soak in it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Would be nice to:

A) have the powder and components I need to go shoot more- seems like its been forever.

B)go when the temperature isn't 110 degrees. Right now feels like any soaked rag would burst into flames before it made it to the barrel.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kenjs1

pack a 5 gallon bucket....throw in some ice.& water........GTG

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used wet cloths to cool barrels if I'm shooting several rifles that say, but if only shooting one or two just pour ice water on 'em. If you hold the rifle with the barrel angled downward, most of the water will tend to slide along the barrel, which cools it very quickly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
When killing prairie dogs in a target rich environment, Chub and I always used a surgical tubing hooked up to the drain of our Coleman ice chest.

Remove the rifles bolt and insert a cleaning bore guide ... then run the surgical tubing in the back of the guide and let the ice-cold water run down the inside of the bore.

Man, that cools the barrel off most rickey-tick.

And, when developing loads for my gun articles, I had free use of the Leupold Underground Rifle Range. They had a powerful air compressor in the loading area of the range. Again, insert a Sinclair cleaning rod guide and turn the high-pressure air down the bore.

Cold in a minute and you are off to developing loads again.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We would often have ice water in a small cooler in which we would soak a rag to lay on the barrel. If we were set up near the house, we would have a fan blowing along the table top where we would lay the rifles. Both times were when the rifles were resting after a three-shot (insert apology here) group.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Dunno if I ever told you about the time Ron Spomer actually shot a walnut-stock rifle so hot on an industry prairie dog shoot that the forend started on fire. We were all shooting newly introduced .22-250s that were actually designed as coyote rifles, with medium-weight barrels, but the rifle company wanted to get some publicity out on 'em so threw a PD hunt in mid-summer, and the temperature that afternoon rose to around 100. Suddenly we started smelling smoke--which was coming out of inletting of the barrel channel. There was a big cooler full of soft drinks and bottled water and ice cubes--which had melted enough that Ron stuck the entire barrel and forend underwater--and then went back to shooting....

Hope you are doing well!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just pour half a bottle of water directly into the chamber. It’s dry almost instantly. I peek down the barrel to be sure. People think I’m crazy but it works!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Used an air mattress pump for a while & it worked great. Tired of its bulk & switched to a mini-cooler running on a 9 volt. It works great, quickly & is about the size of a Zippo lighter.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I use a battery operated air pump that is designed for fish tanks. I poke the tube into the chamber and turn it on.

It doesn't blow air real fast, but works surprisingly well at the range.

Last edited by Yaddio; 07/21/22.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posted this here a few times.

In Tucson it can get quite warm. I got sick of the wet towel approach and built a CO2 system over 15 yrs ago.

Originally saw a small CO2 tank advertised in Precision Shooting magazine. Turns out the small tanks don't work very well. A 20 lb tank works great and is good for many range sessions. A hose is attached with the tip tapered which will allow it to seal inside the chamber. I use it when I bring one rifle or working up a load. If multiple rifles are on hand I don't use it.

It takes 15-20 seconds of moderate flow to get the barrel back to ambient. Don't need a regulator, a ball valve will work just fine.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Used an air mattress pump for a while & it worked great. Tired of its bulk & switched to a mini-cooler running on a 9 volt. It works great, quickly & is about the size of a Zippo lighter.

Link?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I use this: https://magnetospeed.com/products/riflekuhl

It's not as fast as some of the other methods posted here but it works. On the downside, it eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper
And, when developing loads for my gun articles, I had free use of the Leupold Underground Rifle Range. They had a powerful air compressor in the loading area of the range. Again, insert a Sinclair cleaning rod guide and turn the high-pressure air down the bore.

Cold in a minute and you are off to developing loads again.

Blessings, Steve

'Yo buddy! cool

When it's hot at the range and I'm working with a big cased rig, I bring my portable air tank with me. Insert bore guide, direct the rubber tipped air nozzle into the rear, give it a few 5 second blasts. You're cocked, locked and ready to rock on in about a minute.

Funny aside...you may remember my pal Marc Norlin that made the Winter Breeze CO2 cooler...he used to be at the VHA Jamborees. Marc's 'demo subject' was a wood stocked Model 70 in 243 that he'd heat the beejeebers out of the barrel on, then cool it off with his cooler.

Anyway, the Model 70 he had was one that Winchester did their version of 'hot glue' bedding on. One Winter, he brought it to me to be pillar bedded...that's when it got interesting. It had been heated so many times that the factory epoxy had reflowed...effectively making it a 'glue-in'! shocked

Good to hear from you, my old friend. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Having a battery operated fan blow on them is a big plus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I use the flexible ice packs you get for sprains. Take 3-4 of them to the range and lay two over the barrel after each shot

I use them but when I freeze them I put a dowel down the middle about the same size as the bbl.

Sits nicely on the bbl that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.