Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Maybe I can say it a little nicer than stick. Every lot of primers, cases, and powder are a little different. Not counting the rifle chambers they are tested in. So reloading manuals give you a place to start that should be safe in your particular rifle.
There are several manufacturers of a powder in the 4350 burning range. They are all a little different. Then there is the lot to lot difference. Hasbeen
A

A lot nicer Mike

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Maybe I can say it a little nicer than stick. Every lot of primers, cases, and powder are a little different. Not counting the rifle chambers they are tested in. So reloading manuals give you a place to start that should be safe in your particular rifle.
There are several manufacturers of a powder in the 4350 burning range. They are all a little different. Then there is the lot to lot difference. Hasbeen
Yes and like you said, there is a difference in rifles. Many of the loading manuals are worked up with a universal receiver and who know who's barrel. Heck even if they happened to use the same rifle as the one you have is no guarantee that it will be close to your rifle.
Given all of the variables it's a wonder they can even give you a close recommendation.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate Hanco and others chiming in - playing nice.

I am not overly worried and understand what everyone is saying. Not wanting to overblow this thing but when we meticulously measure charges, measure COAL's, addn try to be scientific it would be nice to count on some consistency in the reference materials- and yes I know over the years I have developed my own frame of references.
To be clear I was not talking the difference between various 4350's but rather the variance within a particular manufacturers powder.
Here is a sample of why I asked the question in case anyone is interested

Powder Bullet weight Min Max
H4350 120 43.5 46.5c
H4350 130 38.5 41.9
H4350 140 39 42

It's just wrong, I have used as many sources as I can including Steve's Paged ( RIP Steve). Should be able to see what Lyman's says later today,
I never hot ro my loads and found you can pretty safely go below minimum within reason so I can develop a load without fear.
It is just that with all the shortages, then the amount of new people going to ranges since BHO- makes it less enjoyable or feasible.
I have limited powder and want to try new bullets- even though what I got already works.

Last edited by kenjs1; 07/25/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You are looking at a few results, your manual, of a system/process that has almost infinite variables in it. To best manage the system data,you should have a few tools. One being a good chrograph. This, along with some common sense, will help you to develope safe load info for YOUR rifle.

BTB, I have six different load manuals aquired over some time. All are different, thanks to the variables in the system.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" about all the things she can't do,with Instructions setting atop a Siver Platter. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to the good folks who answered in campfire spirit.
My post was more a curiosity than a problem - no issue really.
Stick- you may have made a point in there some where?? Anyway, let you know I hold no ill will.....Hope you feel better soon.
Got my Lyman book yesterday. Seems like a coloring book compared to other manuals. Will go through it in more details.

Now if I can just find a little more powder I can get back to having some fun at the bench and the range.

Last edited by kenjs1; 07/26/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I can do is hand Texans slack on the rope and watch in constant fhuqking amazement,as they fhuqk EASY schit up. I'd suggest that you simply quit eating the crayons,take notes with at least (1) and simply apply same,rather than awaiting THE "Magic" Book which assuredly does NOT exist. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The only reason this is soooooooo fhuqking HILARIOUS,is that you are undoubtedly doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Meh, it all works out for me just fine. I load, I shoot, do well, have fun with friends and family, kill things, clean things for most everybody....all good. There never really was a problem. Just a curiosity on lack such lack of constancy in published stuff. Enjoy your day.

. Confucius
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.