Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not handled or shot one. Quick online search shows they're the same size (holsters, etc) as a G19. Anyone using one? Pro's/con's?

I'm guessing there are "better" rimfire pistols out there depending on what someone wants, but after letting some new shooters shoot several handguns this past weekend I got to thinking about the familiarity that the same gun in .22 would provide as they worked up. I started them with a 22/45 and then let them move to a G19....not a huge jump for folks used to basic controls but it made me curious about the G44.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one because I have a G19.

100% dependable, so far.

To be fair, I've only fired a few hundred rounds through it.

GREAT shooting gun, and makes a GREAT trainer for the G19, or for anyone wanting to learn Glock D/A handgun skills.

Glad I bought mine, and would buy it again.

Virgil B.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I really like mine. I wrote up the testing I did here a while back. Page 3.

Glock 44

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sister prefers her Grock 44 over everything else and that includes more than a "few" choices. Hint.(grin)

The 22/45 to '44 transition,rates commentary,due their distinct differences. The '44 is a "real" pistol,in that the entire slide travels to/fro in cycling,so it keeps a driver "honest". With a 22/45,one can choke up,to keep the bore lower...as only the bolt travels said path. Such things transfer,from Rimfire to Centerfire and Grock NAILED the 44,both in Theory and Application. Hint.

'44 Wishes?!? A double stack mag and MOS. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In typical Grock fashion,the '44 fhuqking RUNS and there's no higher accolade. hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love my G44 and have had zero issues with it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had one for awhile now and quit counting after 5000 rounds on it, I'm well over that now. It is the best 22 pistol out there. Like Stick says, a double stack mag and red dot compatible would be perfection.

I've ran it over 1000 rounds without cleaning or additional oil and without malfunctions. I'm looking for a second one to put my threaded barrel in and keep it suppressed.

The only thing I've changed on mine was a Dawson FO front sight and a fixed plastic rear sight from one of my 19 gen 5 guns. It offers a much better sight picture than the stock sights. Oh and I did add a "Thug Plug" to add a little weight to it.

Load the mags correctly and they will run.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Everything I needed to hear. I'll be grabbing one.

I'd only considered the controls with the 22/45... not the bolt vs slide. Good point. It would seem more in the mag and MOS setup should be a no-brainer...but I haven't looked over the design yet.

Reading through the mart's link, I picked up one of the 3" LCRx's a good while back and it's a sweet little revolver. Ruger got stuff right with those LCR triggers. Rimfire is a little heavier than cf but still very smooth. I see a G44 vs LCRx shootout coming up.

Thanks all!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It my sidearm of choice any time I’m rifle hunting. It’s put a fair number of ptarmigan, grouse and rabbits in the pot. Even cleaned out a bunch of feral rabbits with it at a buddy’s place. And at one pound fully loaded it doesn’t add much to a backpack if someone wants a rim fire option on a backpack hunt.

Double stack mag would be nice.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This outfit says it is going to do aluminum G44 replacement slides cut for RMR, Holosun 507, or sig Romeo zero.

Not cheap though - 280 bucks.

https://www.nelsonprecisionmfg.com/product-page/44x-edc

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The problem with aluminum slides is aluminum wears pretty quick. With the G44, it’s steel on steel and I think it will run forever.

Not like the Bersa 22 my buddy wore out in 3 months with 20,000 rounds.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wonder how fragile those optics screws would be and whether they would strip easy. Doesn't inspire much confidence that they have NO RETURNS at the top of page.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lunchtime trip to grab one and ended up grabbing a Promag 18 round mag while there.

I only did a quick look over of it, but I believe the external is plastic so I can see why it's not cut.

Will see how it runs later this evening.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah....it's a sweet pop gun.

138 very quick rounds through it. 3x through each of the mags. Third trip through the promag one of the cases didn't eject completely and caused a stovepipe with the next round. Aside from that not a hiccup.

Have to pay attention when loading the pmag. Since it's double stack, if you depress the spring to much a round can get cock-eyed and it takes a minute to straighten it out. If you limit how far you depress the spring it won't happen.

Caught me off guard the first time I worked the slide to chamber a round. Since the barrel doesn't fit up flush with the slide it seemed odd and I didn't think the round chambered completely and it was out of battery....nope, just a little more recessed.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fun gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 18's are a HUGE hit to reliability. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, more room to wiggle is more room to err. Back to the initial idea of using it as a prep for moving up with new shooters, reliability problems with the promag will be a training moment....

Thinking about an RMR cut...plastic cut aside...I'm curious how it might change the reliability of cycling. Spring change could be needed? Mainly a curiosity issue for me, I'll leave it as is.

It will see a lot of rounds this weekend.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When loading the mags, make sure the rounds don't nose dive, usually it starts on rounds 8,9 and 10.

I talked with Dawson about using one of their rear sights and they were spooked with the plastic slide and won't sell one for the 44. I've seen folks use steel sights without issue but who knows what their actual round count is. I'll leave mine as is and can only hope Glock would incorporate an MOS platform in with the steel slide frame and just pour polymer around all of it. Maybe one day...

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
After the first mag, my youngest two were all in on the G44. Daughter was going John Wick on the steel and loving it. Youngest boy was mad that he couldn't keep up with her.

May be the best "grin per $" purchase I've made in a while.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
We’re glad your happy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
After the first mag, my youngest two were all in on the G44. Daughter was going John Wick on the steel and loving it. Youngest boy was mad that he couldn't keep up with her.

May be the best "grin per $" purchase I've made in a while.

JM,

Far be it from me to offer parenting advice as all my kids hate me.

But if you wanna have a lot of fun run a timer on some steel or paper and have them do "one-reload-one."

For whatever reason kid love it. Most adults do too if they're not lazy.

All you need is one empty mag and one full mag. Let them use their pockets if you don't have a mag carrier. If you don't have a holster on a belt get a holster on a belt.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.