Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
As a timely and pertinent aside to the other thread:

Senate Majority Leader Schumer And Two Others Introduce New Cannabis Reform Bill

Iris Dorbian Contributor

Jul 21, 2022,01:19pm EDT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/irisdo...ew-cannabis-reform-bill/?sh=778d73137ce3

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) speaks with reporters following a closed-door caucus ... [+] COPYRIGHT 2022 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

The legal cannabis industry received an added boost today in Congress when Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) introduced a bill, which if passed, would provide sweeping cannabis policy reforms across the nation.

The legislation, known as the Cannabis Adminstration and Opportunity Act, would deschedule and decriminalize cannabis by removing it from the federal Controlled Substances Act. It would also shift regulatory responsibility from the Drug Enforcement Administration to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, the Food and Drug Administration and other agencies. Further, the measure would also allow the state-regulated medical and adult-use cannabis industries already in place to operate without federal interference.

However, not every provision in this bill is so rosy. On top of the already hefty state taxes imposed on the industry, the bill would also institute a federal excise tax of 5 to 25% on cannabis. Obviously, this would be problematic for small cannabis businesses.

Yet industry leaders are hailing the measure for what it's attempting to do, which is "to bring federal law into harmony with the states and the vast majority of voters who have called for an end to prohibition,” said Aaron Smith, co-founder and CEO of the National Cannabis Industry Association, a cannabis trade group, in a statement. “We look forward to working with Senators on both sides of the aisle to improve the tax provisions in this bill on behalf of small cannabis businesses and eventually pass it into law."

The CAOA Act was introduced after a draft circulated last year. Based upon feedback provided by NCIA and other advocacy organizations, a number of changes to the legislation were made. Now the bill includes the following:

The Feds Are Coming For Delta-8 THC

*Changes to the weight quantity to qualify a person for felony cannabis distribution or possession charge under the section from 10 pounds to 20 pounds;

*Provides that a court shall automatically, after a sentencing review, expunge each federal cannabis conviction, vacate any remaining sentence, and resentence the defendant as if this law had been in place prior to the original sentencing; and,

*Removes the requirement to maintain a bond for any cannabis business that had less than $100,000 in excise tax liability in the prior year and reasonably expects excise tax liability in the current year to be below such amount.

In the meantime, The SAFE Banking Act, which would allow banks to work with legal cannabis businesses without prosecution, has still not be brought up for a vote in the Senate chamber, despite being approved the House of Representatives seven times and enjoying bipartisan support.

Currently, medical marijuana is legal in 37 states while the adult-use market is legal in 19 states as well as D.C.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"However, not every provision in this bill is so rosy. On top of the already hefty state taxes imposed on the industry, the bill would also institute a federal excise tax of 5 to 25% on cannabis. Obviously, this would be problematic for small cannabis businesses."

The 'why'

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It's ALWAYS about money (taxes). ALWAYS.
They're going to do what they will. But I've never seen a doper that was a contributor to the world. Quite the opposite.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Winchester21
They're going to do what they will. But I've never seen a doper that was a contributor to the world. Quite the opposite.

LOL While I don't partake I have several friends that had successful careers and are now retired and they smoke a lil pot every day and have for YEARS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hold into the Panama Red....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
"However, not every provision in this bill is so rosy. On top of the already hefty state taxes imposed on the industry, the bill would also institute a federal excise tax of 5 to 25% on cannabis. Obviously, this would be problematic for small cannabis businesses."

The 'why'

Hello black market.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And that my friends is why the blackmarket cannabis business is flourishing. Over regulation and crippling taxation. EVERYTHING govt touches turns to schidt. The only somewhat functioning branch of govt that could actually accomplish it's mission was defense, but now they are going woke and lowering standards and enlistments have plummeted. Until govt gets the hell out of the dope business, and Archer Daniels Midland starts growing it by the square mile, crime, cartels and criminals will dominate the industry. I'm no fanboy of dope, but I'm even less a fanboy in telling you what you can put in your body. Let the free market work, grow so much bud the price will drop to less than alfalfa, problem solved.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's all about the money. If you can't be them, tax them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got 4 1000w Sunleaves reflectors and moguls just waiting still boxed up.

Been using a transformer for a door stop for 10 years.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
How are they going to tax it when you can grow it in your own backyard.

OH Wait it is the Gooberment and in some States they Tax the rain water that falls from the sky.

They will find a way forgive me for my above comment.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont use myself, but this isnt true anymore. Many kinds of pot out there these days that do not negatively affect your drive

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Morewood

The 'why'

Hello black market.

We would get all of the problems, none of the money....the black market is booming on "legal" states

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wouldn’t mind it being removed from The Fed controlled substance list. It feels maybe ten years too early to get enough support to pass. Too many Boomers think it’s devil weed and their wives/gf will go bed down with their pool boys and lawn guy. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by Morewood

The 'why'

Hello black market.

We would get all of the problems, none of the money....the black market is booming on "legal" states

https://www.news9.com/story/6183517...countrys-1-supplier-of-illegal-marijuana

OBN Agents Say Oklahoma Has Become Country's #1 Supplier Of Illegal Marijuana

TULSA, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics says Oklahoma is now the number one black market supplier of illegal marijuana in the country.

There are 8,500 medical marijuana grow licenses in Oklahoma and agents say 25 percent of them are run by criminal organizations from places like China, Russia and Mexico.

People all over Green Country tell News on 6 have seen a huge increase in Asians buying land and creating huge pot operations right next to family farms.

Josh King and his family bought this historic piece of property known as Bald Knob Hill, near Henryetta. Then, a marijuana operation moved in across the road and within a matter of months, had nearly every inch of the 31 acres, covered with buildings.

He says 24-7, there's a terrible chemical smell that makes it tough to breathe, bright lights, loud generators, heavy traffic and even gunfire, some, right over Josh's house. He worries about his family’s safety and he also worries about how the workers are being treated at the site.

"We went up there and three times, they've added on to the house, a roof and a room with a dirt floor with old cafeteria seating in it and an older woman ladling soup stuff and their fed a little portion each," says Josh King, the homeowner.

He says all the workers speak Mandarin but one and whenever he asks questions, the answer is the same, we have a certificate.

He says the trash, the environmental impact, the noise, all need to be addressed and shouldn't be allowed this close to families.

"If you’re going to have something that big, OK is going to have some kind of zoning laws or some kind of something," says King.

There are now around 40 marijuana farms just in the Henryetta area.

"It has changed the landscape of our entire state. I've contacted legislators and they said, “well, you voted for it, I don't think we voted for this," says realtor Tammie Hiatt.

State Drug Agents say buyers from China, Russia, Mexico and other countries are coming here and making offers for land that's two, three, even 10 times over the asking price. They pay with cash and want a closing within 10 days.

Josh says he's called everybody he can think of for help.

This family saved up for their first home and bought this little piece of land and for months, they were in heaven.

"Wonderful, peaceful, we're not too far out of town but far enough, it was great," says the homeowner.

But then, this pot operation moved in. The smell is horrible, She hears people screaming, there are bright lights, loud noises, gunfire. She even had one of the workers jump into her yard and take off running. Now, she doesn't allow her children to play outside and is scared in her own home.

"I'm stuck and I'm scared for my kids every day. I don't know why people are allowing it. I don't understand why there are no laws against it or anything. I can't get out of here. I can't pay my mortgage and pay to be somewhere else," says the homeowner.

Lori Fullbright, reporter: "The thing is, people from several different counties who have never met each other, never talked to each other, all share very similar stories, all have questions and don't seem to be getting answers."

Rudy lives near Bristow with his wife, after buying their dream retirement home on a beautiful piece of land. They've spent years, making improvements, clearing land to create meadows, then, Chinese nationals bought the land next door and built hoop houses and dorms and a processing plant.

"On a scale of one to 10, it's a 15, real frustrating. We wanted peace and quiet," says Rudy.

He has the same complaints, 18 wheelers running all night, tearing up the road, loud noises, bright lights, gunfire and trying to talk to anyone is hard, because no workers speak English. He doesn't understand how it's legal.

The law says 75 percent of the operation must be owned by an Oklahoman who’s lived in the state for at least two years.

Lori: "You think any Oklahoman owns that business?"

Rudy: "Oh no."

He doesn’t care what nationality the people who are running the operation, he simply doesn’t believe it belongs near homes.

"I can understand raising cattle, this is cattle country or crops but that is an industrial business and they get by saying they're growing marijuana, it's agricultural. Our politicians need to get off their butts and do something," says Rudy.

Lori Fullbright, reporter: "He feels he has no choice but to sell but their terrible catch 22 is, no one wants to buy with this operation next door except maybe the folks who own the operation."

"I want to cry every time I think about it," says Rudy.

The two farms in our stories, do have Oklahomans listed as the owners.

OBN agents say true ownership is often hard to determine because illegal operations use ghost owners, where an Oklahoman may be listed as the property owner for 200 farms and shell corporations are used to hide true ownership.

They say they come to Oklahoma because our licenses and our land is cheaper here than in places like California.

Oklahoma has 8,500 licensed grow operations, California has 3,500.

The law also says the marijuana grown in OK has to stay here but OBN agents say it’s being shipped everywhere and they, along with the DEA have intercepted several shipments to the East Coast.

OBN says the OK Medical Marijuana Authority has hired a new director who is hiring many more inspectors to try to get caught up on checking on these operations.

The OBN and DEA don't want to just stop the illegal growers, they want to go after the people at the top of these organizations and that takes time.

OBN says it did recently deny 400 new applications and plan to deny many that are coming up for renewal.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I wouldn’t mind it being removed from The Fed controlled substance list. It feels maybe ten years too early to get enough support to pass. Too many Boomers think it’s devil weed and their wives/gf will go bed down with their pool boys and lawn guy. LOL

I’m a start cleaning pools.

But I ain’t rubbin no bunions

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be high AF and bangin a 60 year old Linda Evans cougar

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
All this talk gonna make me roll a stomper now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100% against.
Throw in alcohol, tobacco, and gambling.

Never used weed, drink a bit, used to chew. Gambling is stupid.

But folks is gonna do all of the above, you can't stop it without turning into
the kind of country I sure don't want.

This pot bill is Democratic(retarded).
Pretty good examples in several states what happens when you legalize
it. Then tax it heavily.

Illegal grows produce it much cheaper.
You get crime, violence, and 0 tax dollars.
The legal part just makes possession easier.
Along with low level distribution.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
And in the background, hey man , pass that tater .
Mmmm , good shiet , yeah dude I’m gonna mail in my ballot and vote old shumer and piss on them red neck republicans.
Want to lock us up for this shiet .

You can bet your ass that and the chi-Ching factor played into this move .
Lol , they don’t give a shiet about legal , doesn’t affect them one way or the other .
Kenneth

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,581
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.