Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am selling a relatives elk rifle, custom 30-338 by Paul Dodge of Yreka CA. Can you guys give me a WAG what this is worth in today's market? What action is this? Anyone heard of this smith?
Thanks in advance.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful old rifle. No idea of builder but to the right person I’d think 750-1000. Looks nicely built and has a good looking stock onto it.

Good luck with the sale. Nice old Sporter!

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Sure looks good! Around 800 would be fair.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
'03 Springfield action?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JeffyD
'03 Springfield action?

Correct, it's probably an 1903 or 1903A3. Nicely done too but honestly, I'd value it less than most $700 max. The market is starting to cool a bit, and wasn't all that hot for military sporter rifles. .30-338 Win isn't a mainstream cartridge, do you know if its chamber close enough to fire .300 Norma Mag safely or do you have a set of dies? The style of rifle isn't popular any longer, unless someone is looking for nostalgia because their father, grandfather, or mentors used a similar rifle. Most people will look at new rifles when spending over $700 and feel they're getting a better deal.

IC B2

S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys. Dies are being looked for, hope they are found. Might be a box of handloads somewhere too.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
From what I found Paul Dodge used to make rifles for Elmer Keith.

Found out some info on Paul Dodge from Yreka. Dodge & Elmer Keith were shooting buddies. Dodge built Mausers and other rifles, rimfires were a favorite of his.He built rifles in the 30's-40's. He also built a fine adjustable trigger of which this rifle has. Keith met him when he moved out west.

I talked to a gentleman from Yreka who knew Mr. Dodge and had one of his rifles with his Dodge trigger. He was impressed with the rifle and wished he still had it. First thing out of this gentleman's mouth was "do you have his gun with one of his triggers?"
Said they have a shooting range named after Mr. Dodge.

This rifle was made in the 1930's just as Steve pointed out in the above quote I referenced. Dodge was about 40 years old at the time and was about 3 or 4 years older than Elmer Keith. I find the rear screw adustment interesting as it in that regard looks like a Kenyon.

P.A. at Parson's Gun said that Dodge's trigger was like a "fine watch"

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you for the info!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It would be worth removing the scope base and checking the serial number, and see if it falls below the 800,000 mark (I don't *think* it does, looks like a 7-digit SN in the pic).

I agree with one of the posters above, value should be around $600. It honestly *should* bring more, but there isn't a lot of demand for sporterized Springfield rifles...especially in a very uncommon chambering. That being said, I'd almost be interested in it just for the stock. Its a really beautiful rifle, too bad its not in something a little easier to find! I just recently bought my second sporterized Springfield (both in '06), so I have a soft spot for the guns.

Who knows, though, it may just be one of those rifles that might bring a decent amount on GunBroker. You may find the right guy who is familiar with Dodge, and may be willing to spend the money in order to have one of his rifles.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Paul Dodge was a pretty prolific gunbuilder around here, and justly famous. Although sporting rifles paid the bills, he is most famous for some of the 1000 yd bolt guns he built. The tiny town of Yreka for some reason produced a large number of regionally and nationally ranked competitive shooters back in the day, and many chose to equip themselves with Dodge and Lee Paul rifles.
Your relative wants it gone, so be it, but there is a better than even chance that the rifle will be lights out accurate. Dodge sourced his barrels where the customer preferred, but some of them that Dodge himself preferred were "one offs" from a gunsmith/ machinist reputedly retired from Benicia arsenal before WW2. I personally have had my dick put in the dirt by one of those rifles with the barrel made from a truck axle, me shooting a shiny new 40X with all the bells and whistles. Humbling.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys. I found a set of RCBS 30-338 dies.

I have some 338 brass, maybe I should throw some loads together. But like many of you, the last thing I need is another elk rifle!

I'll probably put it on gunbroker, but if anyone here is interested, let me know.

Thanks again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you decide on a price, PM me....I *might* be interested.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jason280
If you decide on a price, PM me....I *might* be interested.

Offer $850 shipped for it, you'll probably get it.

Paul Dodge Custom .30-338

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=Jason280]It would be worth removing the scope base and checking the serial number, and see if it falls below the 800,000 mark (I don't *think* it does, looks like a 7-digit SN in the pic). quote]

It's an '03A3. Mucho safe.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 07/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very nicely done Springfield. My family has 8-9 Springfield 30-338's All but one in Brown Precision stocks.
You can make brass from 264 Win, 7MM Win. and 338 Winchester brass. One pass through the sizer with my dies works for all of these cartridges.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 07/24/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Since the 338 mag was not commercialized til the late 50s wouldn't that be a clue as to when at least the chambering was done?

S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going to put this in the classifieds for $749 + shipping if that interests you guys.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beautiful old rifle. Sadly, there is little interest in these old classics, nowadays. It has nothing to do with the quality of the rifle, itself, it is just that tastes have shifted to other configurations and styles.

I know it already been listed in the classifieds, but if the goal truly is to sell it, then I'd suggest putting it on Gunbroker with no minimum and let the market set the price. It won't bring near the intrinsic value, but, again, if the seller has to sell, then he has to accept the current market realities.

JMHO

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
Beautiful old rifle. Sadly, there is little interest in these old classics, nowadays. It has nothing to do with the quality of the rifle, itself, it is just that tastes have shifted to other configurations and styles.

I know it already been listed in the classifieds, but if the goal truly is to sell it, then I'd suggest putting it on Gunbroker with no minimum and let the market set the price. It won't bring near the intrinsic value, but, again, if the seller has to sell, then he has to accept the current market realities.

JMHO

For sure. It is a classy old rifle though. Be a nice donor for a classic 358 Norma as well. A bit of rifle weight wouldn't hurt a bigger cartridge.

Semper Fi
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Would anyone be interested in the rifle, scope base, and RCBS FL die set at $650 + shipping?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.