Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Falling asleep is my problem once I do sleep is good for a few hours.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Not very much trouble since I retired, have a bad night once in a while. I sleep about 6 hrs, sometimes a nap in the afternoon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
For me, the two most critical factors in sleeping are getting some exercise and staying away from alcohol. Hooch puts me to sleep, and then wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Yeah - think you are on to something there.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Insomnia is just another burden of aging IMO. Maybe there is a component of your working career too, among my circle of friends the blue collar physical workers seem to suffer more from sleep disruption than the paper pushers. If we are having a get together for a shoot and want to get an early start when it's cool and the winds are calm, the paper pushers howl like banshees for having to get up early (for them, early is before 0800).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I sleep on average 4 hours a day.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
No problem sleeping here, at least 8 hours every nite and take a nap every afternoon. My grandmother used to tell me, “Teddy you can sleep on a picket fence”.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Yup, slept like a baby last night..,
Tonight wide awake at 3 am..,.

That’s when you go from sound asleep to awake and screaming with a soaking wet diaper in a nanosecond.

For those with sleep problems that need a push, I feel your pain. I had a really bad case of insomnia when I discontinued opioid pain meds. Like went 30 days with maybe 12 hours sleep max. Amitriptyline. It’s a mild antidepressant most often these days prescribed for sleep issues and chronic headache. I initially was using it as prescribed by a Neurologist for the aftermath of severe headaches from a level 4 or 5 concussion in a car wreck. Took it on that basis for years until I didn’t need it. No withdrawal or bad after effects of any kind.

In the past 6 months I’ve been using it as prescribed by my PCP for sleep. It doesn’t put me to sleep, it lets me sleep. No morning hangover, sleepwalking, nothing like that at all. Ambien should be illegal. Melatonin works for some but gives me Alice in Wonderland Down the Rabbit Hole weird, weird dreams. Anyhow, works for me.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is a melatonin called Back to Sleep. It really works for me if I wake up say around 1 or 3 AM.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sleep is overrated, never have slept much. Figure I’ll get plenty of sleep when I’m dead.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hard deep sleep for about 4 hours, then toss and turn for about 2 more hours, then maybe another 2 hours of light sleep.
Tried about every OTC sleep med out there, non really worked, Doc. gave me a scrip for sleeping, med. for depression that is also used as a sleep aid, big 0, even ordered a bottle of Relaxium Sleep, just some more snakeoil.
Only thing that comes close is Sominex Sleep Aid (little blue pill), good for about 6 hours straight, but leaves a hangover the next day that requires a nap to go way. Wife say's it makes me act weird.
At almost 78 it's not sleeping that's a concern, it's waking up. ;>)

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I normally go to bed at 2 am.
Takes a half hr to fall asleep.

Wake 2 hra later, damn near to the minute. Then toss n turn for 30 mins to an hr or more, then sleep for an hr. Up an hr then sleep another hr.

3.5 to 5.5 hrs.
Never in one chunk.

Kids n stuff, I wake at 6 and 8 am even on weekends.
My kids and ol lady are clueless and dont give a chit.
Can sleep anywhere, nod off in 5 mins. And stay asleep for 12 hrs.

Diff school and work schedules.....ol dad nobody cares about.

Shut up and pay the bills sucka.

Sooner or later this chit is gonna start affecting my sunny disposition

Last edited by hookeye; 07/22/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yrs ago my job was high stress and crazy hrs.
Mountain Dew was a staple.

Work 72 go home sleep for 6 and come back and work 48. That was my biggest run.

Work 12 or 16 and do it again after 4 hrs sleep was common, for years. Was a lot younger then.

Didnt have all these aches and pains that conspire to ruin what little sleep i got.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I slugged the Nyquil last night and got 4 decent hrs sleep.
Woke up w insides whacked.

Didnt eat before bed either
...that helps w sleep.

My job is hot and physical. So takes me hrs to wind down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Per Shootem, "Ambien should be illegal." My MD sister agrees with you saying that it is a very dangerous drug. For one thing 10 mg is too strong for most people and I would bite the generic equivalent Zolpidem in half as needed. I do remember one time when the kid announced that we were out of milk for his cereal the next morning after I'd gone to bed and taken an Ambien. No way that I should have been driving. I striped the side of my truck driving into the garage with the side mirror on the car and the worst part was that I didn't care! What works for me now if I can't sleep in an hour or so is an over the counter allergy relief Equate, a cheaper pill like Benadryl. It is the 25 mg of Diphenhydramine HCI antihistamine that does it for me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ambien put me to sleep within 15 mins.
Was up like a rifle went off, 4 hrs later.
Felt like Id nodded off 5 mins ago.

Nope. 4 friggin hours. Gone in a flash.
No weird stuff.

Quit after couple weeks and had a nasty headache for a couple days.

Not worth it.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Yup, slept like a baby last night..,
Tonight wide awake at 3 am..,.

That’s when you go from sound asleep to awake and screaming with a soaking wet diaper in a nanosecond.

For those with sleep problems that need a push, I feel your pain. I had a really bad case of insomnia when I discontinued opioid pain meds. Like went 30 days with maybe 12 hours sleep max. Amitriptyline. It’s a mild antidepressant most often these days prescribed for sleep issues and chronic headache. I initially was using it as prescribed by a Neurologist for the aftermath of severe headaches from a level 4 or 5 concussion in a car wreck. Took it on that basis for years until I didn’t need it. No withdrawal or bad after effects of any kind.

In the past 6 months I’ve been using it as prescribed by my PCP for sleep. It doesn’t put me to sleep, it lets me sleep. No morning hangover, sleepwalking, nothing like that at all. Ambien should be illegal. Melatonin works for some but gives me Alice in Wonderland Down the Rabbit Hole weird, weird dreams. Anyhow, works for me.

I take Amitriptyline for some nerve pain/numbness in my hands. I’ve learned to take it at least 3 hours, usually 4-5 before going to bed. I hit the bed and I’m gone.

If I forget the lead time it usually takes a while to get to sleep or I’ll get to sleep and wake up a few hours later and have a hard time getting back to sleep.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Melatonin doesnt do [bleep] for me

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never been able to fall asleep very well. Dr. put me on the generic for Ambien years ago. I don't take it every night but when I do, it works well. Only half a pill is enough to allow me to fall asleep.

The nights I don't take it I may take 2-3hrs of staring at the ceiling before I settle down enough to sleep.

Almost always awake by 5:00 with or without it.

Wife can fall asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow. Wish I knew how she does that.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blessed, as it's never an issue. I think I'm typically gone within 60 seconds of my head hitting the pillow. Can just barely remember going to bed most nights. Sleep even more soundly on campouts. Could usually go a little longer, but our dog thinks it's his duty to dictate our waking hour (05:45) regardless of his needs.

1Minute
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hookeye
Melatonin doesnt do [bleep] for me

Ditto.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,907
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.