OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ooops. I stuck in a response but it's confined to your original thread in your link.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I luv chit like this! Takes me back to the days of discovering old artifacts on the farm in northern Minnesota. I have a flintlock pistol frame that was plowed up one spring.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mike if you can get here by Saturday you can go back in with us to get some more.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the invite! I'll be looking for "BREAKING NEWS FROM OREGON" grin

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Check out Engles Coach Shop on youtube.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m sure that metal detecting is a pretty neat hobby, but I’ll bet that there are a lot of bottle caps and rusty nails before a guy gets to finding the really good stuff. Lots of those “good stuff” finds reminds me a lot of the stuff that we found scuba diving. You bring it home and move it around in the garage for a while, then think to yourself, what am I ever going to do with this thing and putting it back where you found it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Spent all day Saturday getting the ATV back in there to remove some more parts. Chainsawed and clawed our way into the forest for hours. Tried to get the atv trailer in there but it was not to be. Got it stuck crossing a creek and had to abandon it there until we came back out. Took us two hours to get it out of the creek. We were beat up pretty good but we got everything out that we set out to retrieve.

Hot dog went along. Doing pretty good for 13 1/2 years old.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A buddy found a peculiar circular piece of silver in close proximity to the Wilderness battlefield in Northern Virginia. When he got it home and scrubbed it clean it said "R.E.Lee ANV". (Army of Northern Virginia) Significant research dug up some letters from Marse Robert to his wife thanking her for the birthday gift of a custom silver wax seal, the letter having been sealed with the selfsame wax seal, that matched the one found. A later letter to his wife lamented the loss of the seal somewhere around the Wilderness on the day of the battle. He's since then turned down offers of over $50K from wealthy collectors. It was put on loan to Battle Abbey, the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA instead.

He had gotten out of his car and was setting up the ground effects on his detector in preparation for "serious" detecting farther out in the field, when he got a non-ferrous "hit" right there 20 feet off the road....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another detecting buddy was hunting on a stretch of beach in Florida in close proximity to the location of an old Confederate fort/shore battery. He detected a massive iron object (good metal detector machines can differentiate between ferrous and non-ferrous) just under the sand. Lo and behold it was a 32-pounder hollow round shot cannon ball. It was empty and the fuse was missing from it so he carried it back to the truck like he was carrying a bowling ball with his fingers inside the hole. When he flopped it up on the tailgate a Coral snake crawled out....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid they didn't have an antidote for coral snake venom. I had a close call with one when I was about 4. My Mother proceeded to make us deathly afraid of snakes. Still am, no snakes here. I think they have an antidote for it now.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story Gary, you people are so lucky with such a long history I see some of the finds in the UK are amazing

Johno

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Another detecting buddy was hunting on a stretch of beach in Florida in close proximity to the location of an old Confederate fort/shore battery. He detected a massive iron object (good metal detector machines can differentiate between ferrous and non-ferrous) just under the sand. Lo and behold it was a 32-pounder hollow round shot cannon ball. It was empty and the fuse was missing from it so he carried it back to the truck like he was carrying a bowling ball with his fingers inside the hole. When he flopped it up on the tailgate a Coral snake crawled out....
he should have went and bought a lottery ticket

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 1minute, 16penny, 17 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,383
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.