I'm interpreting that as Zestas. Enjoy.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MonkeyWrench,

Go troll something you think you know something about, you damn sure don't know anything about bird hunting or bird dogs, GFY Rio7

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
As I understand it, the original question was "how important is force fetch training to making a good bird dog," or something to that effect (staying on topic is not a strength of some forum participants). I can only offer my own amateur experience, which is that I have refused to force fetch a pup despite assurances that I would regret it...for the last 21 years. I'll admit that it's a small sample set, but the lab and two wirehairs in question have not, in fact, refused to retrieve in hunting situations as I was promised/warned/threatened. In point of fact they have retrieved birds including geese, turkeys, and a swan to hand at heel. I haven't hunted cranes yet, but my humble response to your question is that if your dog will retrieve without being subjected to physical or psychological pain, why introduce it? Others may have different experiences, which I will proactively grant validity. Just my two cents' worth (I won't maim a quail either. We're hunters, not sadists).

Why force fetch? My perspective is as a retriever trainer and hunter.

There are several reasons why one might force fetch.

1) If your retriever is going to run hunt tests or field trials, he will have to deliver to hand
a cold bird with the scent of other dogs, or sometimes a cold, wet,"skanky" duck.
Very different than hunting where every bird is a warm, freshly shot flier.
Force-fetch gives you a training tool to deal with delivery to hand a cold, wet,"skanky" duck.

2) If your retriever is going to run hunt tests or field trials, he will have to deliver to hand
after swimming for a retrieve. Most untrained dogs would naturally drop the bird
to shake when exiting a pond returning at the shoreline. Force fetch provides a
training tool to prevent this drop and shake behavior.

3) It provides a training tool for dealing with mouth problems.
For example, as a handler what do you do if your dog starts chomping birds?

4) It teaches the retriever that he must quickly react (fetch) on command in response to pressure (ear or toe pinch).
No longer is he retrieving only because that is what he wants. It provides a training framework
where there is a negative consequence (pressure) if there is not compulsive obedience.
This framework is important in some dogs for quick and non-loopy whistle sits for example.
This framework is important in some dogs for a consequence to a cast-refusal for example.

For hunt tests/field trials though force-fetch is a necessary tool for the four reasons cited above.
However, to properly train force fetch requires patience, persistence, and good timing.

A bit of history:

Just as the blind retrieve concept was borrowed from herding dog trainers (Dave Elliot), retriever trainers borrowed force-breaking from pointing dog trainers. Back in the 1880s, pointing dog trainer David Sanborn developed force-breaking to teach elementary retrieving to bird dogs that have little or no natural retrieving instinct.

In the 1880s, when Mr. Sanborn "force breaking pointers", most pointing dog trainers were also horse trainers. Therefore, horse-training terms have always permeated the language of pointing dog trainers. For example, “Whoa!” Then, too, a horse trainer doesn’t train a horse; he “breaks” it. Thus, when a pointing dog trainer trains his dog in obedience, he “yard-breaks” him. When he steadies his dog to wing and shot, he “breaks” him and a steady pointing dog is a “broke dog.” Since among horse trainers, “breaking” is a synonym for “training,” the term force-breaking was quite natural for David Sanborn and his fellow pointing dog pros.

For many decades, retriever trainers did not force-fetch. For example, as late as 1949, James Lamb Free, in his classic, Training Your Retriever, all but foamed at the mouth at the very thought of force-breaking a retriever. (He did, however, recommend teaching retrievers to hold on command, apparently unaware that this is the first step in force-breaking.) However, gradually force-breaking became popular among many retriever trainers. The 1968 classic Charles Morgan on Retrievers recommends force-breaking every retriever. The procedure also was name a variety of terms including "trained retrieve", "force fetch", etc. There is a wide variety of methods of force-fetching including the classic "Non-Hell Week" approach by James Spencer, the conventional toe-hitch used primarily by pointer trainers, the training table approach, the "SmartFetch" approach by Evan Graham, and the non-ear pinch e-collar approach by Bill Hillman.

Force-fetch is rare among pro retriever trainers in the UK, primarily because in their trials every retrieve is
a live shot bird unlike US trials where cold, wet, skanky ducks can occur.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So, what you are saying is hunters whose Dogs are working on recently killed non-skanky Birds, primarily FF their Dogs, because that is what the trailers must do working on skank. They have been more or less brain washed into copying trialing standards that don't necessarily apply to them.

And in fact it is mostly a non issue with recently killed warm Birds……as evidenced by the Brits. Which then logically means if your hunting Dog already enthusiastically retrieves, there is little reason to FF. The point some of us have been making.

Last edited by battue; 06/01/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alaska Skeeter,

Interesting, Don't think I understand every thing you are saying?? I shoot a few Quail and put them in a zip lock bag, 1 per bag in the freezer, when working with pups I will throw 2 or 3 out in the high grass, then drop a pup and send it to go find them, 2 things happen they will find a cold dead bird, and bring it to hand, and they won't bite down on a frozen bird, I keep sending them till a the birds are found and returned. that's as close to a Skank bird my dogs ever see. no F.F. here. I may be doing it all wrong but it works for me and my dogs. Rio7

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alaska_Skeeter
David Sanborn developed force-breaking to teach elementary retrieving to bird dogs that have little or no natural retrieving instinct.

Makes more sense to take a different path if you have a dog with little or no natural retrieving instinct. If you own the dog simply to have a retrieving robot and don't value him as a companion or a pet, then simply find a new home for him. Force breaking is painful for both the dog and the trainer if he has any heart at all...

Most untrained dogs would naturally drop the bird
to shake when exiting a pond returning at the shoreline.

There are other means to train delivery to hand when the dog exits water. It's the job of the trainer to know them.

It teaches the retriever that he must quickly react (fetch) on command in response to pressure (ear or toe pinch).
No longer is he retrieving only because that is what he wants.

Again, part of retriever training is transitioning the dog from retrieving for himself, to retrieving for the trainer. It's called PRAISE. Developing the dog's natural desire to PLEASE the trainer is the job of the trainer.

I think most owners have their dogs as pets that get to hunt with them a few times a year. The dog is a family member, a companion, and a hunting buddy. They want a serviceable hunting dog when they hunt. All of these things can be accomplished without force fetch training.

The difference in a dog that only obeys and retrieves out of fear to avoid pain and punishment, and a dog that does his job to PLEASE his trainer and receive PRAISE and REWARD is noticeable in demeanor, and personality. A skilled trainer withholding PRAISE can hurt a dog's feelings just as much as physical punishment.

Still, I see a place for force breaking for some who aren't capable.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
rcaumglia,

" Still i see a place for force breaking for some who aren't capable"

WHY?? Would you waste your time and effort on a dog that's not Capable, then try to force a round peg into a square hole, just to satisfy your ego, you already know you have the wrong dog, give it to someone for a pet. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
rcaumglia,

" Still i see a place for force breaking for some who aren't capable"

WHY?? Would you waste your time and effort on a dog that's not Capable, then try to force a round peg into a square hole, just to satisfy your ego, you already know you have the wrong dog, give it to someone for a pet. Rio7

I'm not talking about dogs that aren't capable. I'm talking about owners and trainers who aren't capable or smart enough to do it differently

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Battue and Rio,

I can't help myself. You agree with me that FF isn't required, but tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and invite me to perform unnatural acts upon myself. What gives? Woodmaster, please chime in on this!

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One last look before going to bed….and this. Hilarious!!!🤣

I can help myself…Don, you will have to find another windmill….

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.