Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Put room temp eggs in steamer basket and steam for 10 to 13 minutes, dunk in cold water and Crack and peel under cold running water

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Lots of ways to boil an egg... tip... it's the ice water.

Kent

PS... once when I was a kid my grandfather found an egg in the old storage shed, the one with black widows and scorpions so we weren't allowed in it, it was a ways from the chicken coops. He shook it next to his ear and then said watch this... threw it on the ground and it went off like a cherry bomb... it was just a bit to old to boil...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get a colander/strainer thingy and put eggs in that. Put water in pan so it just about touches the eggs. Put a lid on the pan that fits tight and steam them.

I have even wrapped the top of the kettle with one of those really big grandmother type white dish towels.

My wife is a food safety nazi and eggs on the counter overnight is another reason for her to yell at me again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Certifiable
This thread is gonna have legs..

Holy crap, I had no idea how many different methods would be posted. To cook an egg, of all things! I don't doubt that there are numerous methods that work great though.

I simply steam eggs for 15 minutes, then run cold water over them. Easy to peal, no stank, no green yolks, no measuring, no staging on the counter days in advance, no ice water, no pushpin to release air, etc.

Just steam the suckers. They heat relatively slowly which seems to be the key to success and turn out great. Very consistent.

I used to bring water and eggs to a boil then let them poach for a certain amount of time off of the burner. It mostly worked well, but not always. Sometimes they were hard to peel, had green yolks, or had some stank. Steamed eggs have been foolproof. Maybe elevation and cooking time were factors. I don't know, but it's so easy to get consistent results by steaming them.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/07/22.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I was younger and working in a restaurant kitchen we would boil 4-5 dozen at a time.
Put eggs in a big pot with hot water out of the tap, bring to boil for few minutes. Remove pot to big ass sink let sit for a few minutes, Then run cold water until I could put my hand in and grab eggs.
Roll eggs on counter shells just fall off when they are still hot and rubbery. Only lost a couple at times, I ate them HaHa.
charlee

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I,oven cook dozens at a time..peeling comes and go ...easy chit tho

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did ya'll know if you put a raw egg in a microwave and try to cook it, it will explode with a nice sound and enough force to blow the microwave door open and egg will go everywhere?

My 12 year old daughter does! 🙄

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Did ya'll know if you put a raw egg in a microwave and try to cook it, it will explode with a nice sound and enough force to blow the microwave door open and egg will go everywhere?

I've tried poaching eggs in the microwave. Little bit of water in a coffee cup, plop an egg in, nuke for a few seconds.

Never could get it right. The yolk either solidifies or the white is undercooked. If there's a sweet spot in there that will make a decent poached egg, I couldn't find it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by auk1124

I've tried poaching eggs in the microwave. Little bit of water in a coffee cup, plop an egg in, nuke for a few seconds.

Never could get it right. The yolk either solidifies or the white is undercooked. If there's a sweet spot in there that will make a decent poached egg, I couldn't find it.
Never personally tried that, but intuitively, it seems like a coffee cup is too narrow. Perhaps a saucer would work mo betta?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by auk1124

Never personally tried that, but intuitively, it seems like a coffee cup is too narrow. Perhaps a saucer would work mo betta?

Possible. I may give it another shot.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Let us know?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Let us know?

Will do. I will give it a shot tomorrow for breakfast.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (257man, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,514
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.