Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
All of this is precisely why I said this is extremely subjective. Is Winchester stretching the boundaries a bit by calling something that has zero curl...AAA? Yep. I think they are, and its probably because the word 'French' is in the name of the wood. The reason that it is subjective is that the question will fail to meet a truth condition of multiple observers. (snicker)...and that even applies to the claim that it's 'French Walnut', cuz some of the those observers are bound to tell you its 'European' walnut.

Man I don't know what recourse you have, but my own view is this; that's not AAA grade wood. There's a complete absence of curl, which means the leading optical appeal / quality...is mineralized annular rings.

Last edited by Sniggly; 07/23/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drover
To the best of my knowledge there are no standards for stock wood grading - one mans AAA is another mans AA, its all subjective.

It is like a beautiful woman, what makes one beautiful to one person many leave another person cold. But with stock woods and women I know what I like when I see it regardless of grade or someone elses opinion.

If you didn't look it over good and notice these "defects" beforehand then shame on you. If you have bought it and don't like it then IMO you should not have purchased in the first place.

If you haven't purchased it yet then don't - problem solved.

drover

Good post..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by luv2safari
If I were selling the rifle I would describe it a "AA Grade". "AAA" is optimistic, but it is still a nice handle.

This Prussian/Daly has what I would call borderline "AAA" French that they used at this period.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not a good photo but the French wood on this medium-high grade early pre-war Sauer set is "AA-AAA" borderline...close grain with some fiddleback.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your're very much adept with wood, and I value your opinion. Surely, you are on the mark with your assessment on the Prussian/Daly: on the money. In this respect, I have two questions for you: 1.) Would you keep the rifle and 2.) is the mark on the butt stock "Sputtering" and would that be a concern, should I sell in the future? Thank you very much for the professional courtesy.

Last edited by Synoptic; 07/23/22.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To the best of my knowledge there are no standards for stock wood grading - one mans AAA is another mans AA, its all subjective.

It is like a beautiful woman, what makes one beautiful to one person many leave another person cold. But with stock woods and women I know what I like when I see it regardless of grade or someone elses opinion.

If you didn't look it over good and notice these "defects" beforehand then shame on you. If you have bought it and don't like it then IMO you should not have purchased in the first place.

If you haven't purchased it yet then don't - problem solved.

drover

You are 100 percent correct and I do concur with you. However, I've already purchased.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sniggly
All of this is precisely why I said this is extremely subjective. Is Winchester stretching the boundaries a bit by calling something that has zero curl...AAA? Yep. I think they are, and its probably because the word 'French' is in the name of the wood. The reason that it is subjective is that the question will fail to meet a truth condition of multiple observers. (snicker)...and that even applies to the claim that it's 'French Walnut', cuz some of the those observers are bound to tell you its 'European' walnut.

Man I don't know what recourse you have, but my own view is this; that's not AAA grade wood. There's a complete absence of curl, which means the leading optical appeal / quality...is mineralized annular rings.

Yes, there is no question as to the grade among those here. Your consensus is considered fact by me. Well, the multiple observers here seem to classify the wood as AA. Winchester has always served me in the past in helping. I'll see what they have to say. Remember this is business 101. Thanks very much for the assistance.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Yes, there is no question as to the grade among those here. Your consensus is considered fact by me. Well, the multiple observers here seem to classify the wood as AA. Winchester has always served me in the past in helping. I'll see what they have to say. Remember this is business 101. Thanks very much for the assistance.

Please share with us their response.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

There's not much consistency, that's for sure. This is from an old Calico Hardwoods brochure. Calico used to supply Weatherby's wood:

French Walnut

A Fancy Grade - Up to 50% figure or contrasting color in the butt. Figure is generally fiddleback.
AA Fancy Grade - Up to 75% figure or contrasting color.
AAA Fancy - Up to 100% figure or contrasting color.

Fajen's wood grading system was similar.

Winchester is probably being a bit generous in their grading. OTOH, maybe that's what passes for AAA wood these days.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My experience over the years has been that each species of wood was graded within - in other words, American Walnut could not be compared to Claro or English and so on. Grade AAA blank of English is not going to have the same figure that a AAA Claro has, nor that of a AAA American Walnut. There was not one standard used across all wood type but rather a standard within each type. If you go back and look at any of the old stock sellers ads, where they would have representative samples of wood grades, you'll see what I'm speaking of. Sadly, very few photos do justice to English which is prized as much for its color contrast in longitudinal lines/layers as it is for wood figure such as burl and fiddleback. It's difficult to capture this photographically. Also, you'll find that the same grade - such as AAA - will not be priced anywhere near the same across all wood types. Add to that a stocksmith is going to look beyond the actual appearance of the blank and project what the final product will look like - I always liked having a plexiglass stock template profile to shift around each side of the blank, to see if the stock I had in mind would actually capture the most appealing qualities of the blank. I second what someone already said; wood grading IS subjective - very much so - and like opinions & buttholes will vary greatly from person to person.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 07/23/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grade A…… nice wood.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"wood grading IS subjective - very much so - and like opinions & buttholes will vary greatly from person to person."

This is absolutely what I believe. Tastes and hot buttons are an individual's alone, but there needs to be some latitudes wherein grading dwells.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the consensus here; not AAA and probably AA. Ruger did the same marketing of A-AA wood on the RSM and bumped things up a grade in their descriptions; Kimber does it, also.

IMO it's a nice rifle that I'd like to own.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

See the difference?

My take, and my take only; you are looking for perfection in a factory rifle. The level of wood and perfection you seek may or may not be available. If you increase your budget somewhat, you may find some things more acceptable to your discriminating desires.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...l-70-270-winchester.cfm?gun_id=101995368

This custom looks a little scary through the wrist area.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

This would bug me.

Yup.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Synoptic

See the difference?

My take, and my take only; you are looking for perfection in a factory rifle. The level of wood and perfection you seek may or may not be available. If you increase your budget somewhat, you may find some things more acceptable to your discriminating desires.

* Sorry, don't like it at all.[/quote]

Post up your custom rifles.

I'm interested in your tastes in fine steel and walnut

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
*Within the past two years, I sold most all of my prized rifles; namely a Marlin J.B 1978 (N.I.B.) a Remington auto loader with gold inlay and exhibition grade stock, a Model 70 Featherweight 'Classic' .270 New Haven, and a few other items. All were new and not fired. I doubled, if not tripled my money. I have qualms about selling the J.B. Marlin but that's history. I currently have one item on Gunsamerica (N.I. B). The wood is clearly presentation grade. Why I purchased a new Winchester is beyond me.

* In fact, one of the board members of the Hess Corporation offered me $2800.00. I said 'No'.
[img]https://www.gunsamerica.com/9646316...ter-Pump-Action-Shotgun-N-I-B-2--197.htm[/img]

Last edited by Synoptic; 07/24/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This would bug me.

That would drive me crazy.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Teeder

This would bug me.

That would drive me crazy.

It's not too bad, seen worse.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here are some pics of items I still have, not all but a few.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can any tell me by looking at the below photo, if the area marked with the Red Arrow would be considered 'Sputtering' "Or", and is this of concern?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Since the beginning, I made mention of Stuttering and Sputtering, and there has been no response nor backlash from anyone. Well, it's about time that the factual term is 'Spaulting or "Spalting", yet not any have stated anything about this. This leaves many questions in my mind as to who knows what here: no disrespect implied. I would only believe that someone would have stepped up at this point and said 'something'! In all honesty, this facet was done purposely to weed out those knowing about wood. What would any think here?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

This would bug me.

The very first thing I noticed when I opened this thread. That would bug the hell out of me. I would have fixed it myself.

And if that’s AAA grade walnut, I’m a Chinese rocket pilot. I wouldn’t even call it AA.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/24/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.