Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't get surprised by much firearms wise. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the old 22 out there but apparently that isn't the case. My pastor asked me to look at some guns he had from his father. His dad passed away last year and pastor got these. One was an old Belgian SxS with no butt stock, another is a Damascus Belgian double in pretty decent shape. But the one that nterested me most was this little semi auto 22. I have to honestly say I've never seen one nor did I know they even existed. But they are pretty cool.

A JC Higgins model 31, apparently made by High Standard from what I've been able to garner. Neat looking little gun and the retractable sling was a big surprise. Pastor said they killed tons of squirrels with it when he lived in Georgia.

They're cool enough I think I need one now. I lean heavily to odd and unusual firearms anyway so one of these will fit in well with my accumulation.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool. I remember seeing those in magazines. Don't think I ever saw one I could handle. Nice enjoy.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LGS has had several come through over the years.
Not uncommon here.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Dad had one just like that around 1960 or so...never forget that retractable sling! Dad dealt it away to help someone in need before I was old enough to use it. He promised me he would get me a 22 when I turned 12-a promise he made good on. I see them from time to but never bought one. I do blame that deal for turning me into a hopeless rifle enthusiast for the last 60 years. smile

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Cool. I remember seeing those in magazines. Don't think I ever saw one I could handle. Nice enjoy.

That one belongs to Pastor. I liked it so well I had to bid on one. I'm weak. So weak. It will look cool with a Weaver D4 on it. Assuming I win the auction.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for sharing that, I have never seen one before.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My stepbrother has one without the sling, though. Neat little gun, and probably more reliable than my Marlin 60.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. The wood panels over the receiver are neat. They should protect it from sweaty hands and such.

USOG on You Tube had one, a BSA IIRC, that captured the empties in a box in the receiver. No crime scene evidence! Has to be emptied, naturally. Old .22s are great. So are new ones!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

That one belongs to Pastor. I liked it so well I had to bid on one. I'm weak. So weak. It will look cool with a Weaver D4 on it. Assuming I win the auction.
If you don't win, look at the model 30 too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seen a couple of those for sell. Thought they were interesting but they all looked like they have set in a barn for 30 years. Used hard and put up wet.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I lusted after one of these in the mail order catalog when I was a kid. Can't remember if it was Sears or Monkey Wards. No amount of pestering my Old Man to get me one panned out though. I was forced to go to work in the salt mines (grass mowing, throwing hay bales, etc.) to make the money to buy my own gun to replace the Mossberg .22 auto he had saddled me with a year or so before. When sufficient funds had been accumulated, my fickle head got turned by a used Winchester 52 at the LGS instead and I never looked back.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep telling myself to hit the pawn shops when I'm out and about, but I'm in a hurry or forget. I like to find old Marlins, Savage, Stevens, Springfield .22 rifles. Sears put out a bunch of em, and they show up when people need a little $$. I can usually haggle on price with em. Gotta make a mental note to start checking pawn inventory. That's a fine looking rifle.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a model 30 and 36. The model 30 is what we had as kids. (6 younger brothers).
One of my nephews has the original 30 we used as kids. Still shots well.
What your missing is the original weaver 4 power scope.

Last edited by Traveler52; 07/29/22.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, buddy has a savage (I think) with that sling. If it was perfected today I'd buy one, would you??? It would be nice if you could lock it at any length. Rolled in would be good for in the brush, & when you got your trophy pull it out & sling the rifle over your shoulder & away ya go!!! Kind of like a seat belt or measuring tape. Some of you younger gents or lady's could get rich. I'm to old for rich, unless it's filthy rich. Might be able to handle that. GWP 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mart,

I've seen a couple of those twenty-two's around, but never noticed the sling. 'Next time' I'll look them over for that sling. Don't know how practical it is, but it looks kind'of neat.

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Mart,

I've seen a couple of those twenty-two's around, but never noticed the sling. 'Next time' I'll look them over for that sling. Don't know how practical it is, but it looks kind'of neat.

Thanks,

Jerry

Not all of them had the sling, my stepbrother's did not have it.

I presume the "slinged" one was the "Deluxe" model, but have nothing to back that up.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Ha, I like them. The gadgetry of the sling lures in every rimfire enthusiast, but end the end most guys are disappointed in the sling. Great looking rifles. Definitely unique.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.