Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I have not had a rimfire in the stable for a decade now, but lately felt I needed one. Rimfire new or used of quality are hard to find so while biding my time the LGS guys got in a couple of these...lets just say it wasn't a hard sell. And the rifle shoots EXACTLY how it should....First 5 shot groups out of the gun, 50 yds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Great looking and shooting rifle. What scope?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kandpand
Great looking and shooting rifle. What scope?

The scope is a HAWKE Vantage 3x9 with red/green illuminated reticle. ( I do a lot of night varmint shooting)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That’s a really nice looking and shooting rifle!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve been eyeballing a couple of CZ’s. A CZ will be my next .22 no doubt. Yours shoots lights out!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think you can do better on a classic walnut-stocked sporter than the 457s. They fixed pretty much all the “shortcomings” of the older models. I’d like stainless, but the nitride finish is probably as weather-resistant and looks great. Mine is a Varmint MTR, not a hunter, but I have a SS 455 in walnut for that, among other stuff.

I’ve had a 453, a blued 455 w/.22 mag and LR barrels, and the two I own now. The 453 might’ve had a slight edge in accuracy, but the jury’s still out on that. For field use, no one would ever be able to tell the difference, and I don’t subscribe to the common notion that the old ones are generally more accurate. Even if that is true, the 457s are much more refined out of the box without having to drop a bundle on aftermarket parts.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fine looking rig, Poobah!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For mini mags shooting that well at 50yds you did fantastic with your choice. CZ does make quality weapons. Congrats!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks great!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don’t think you can do better on a classic walnut-stocked sporter than the 457s. They fixed pretty much all the “shortcomings” of the older models...

...the 457s are much more refined out of the box without having to drop a bundle on aftermarket parts.
Pardon for cherry picking your post, but this.

Never really considered a CZ .22 rifle in the past, mostly due to those "shortcomings", but bought a 457 Varmint model last year and am extremely impressed with it. The action has that bank vault smoothness and the fully adjustable trigger lets you dial it in just as you like it. From the looks of your shooting you probably don't need one, but if you wanted to you could get a reduced power trigger spring for about 10 bucks and take it down to a perfectly safe one pound pull - very nice for off hand work.

Plus the main course, Accuracy. These things really shoot.

Congrats on a fine rifle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don’t think you can do better on a classic walnut-stocked sporter than the 457s. They fixed pretty much all the “shortcomings” of the older models...

...the 457s are much more refined out of the box without having to drop a bundle on aftermarket parts.
Pardon for cherry picking your post, but this.

Never really considered a CZ .22 rifle in the past, mostly due to those "shortcomings", but bought a 457 Varmint model last year and am extremely impressed with it. The action has that bank vault smoothness and the fully adjustable trigger lets you dial it in just as you like it. From the looks of your shooting you probably don't need one, but if you wanted to you could get a reduced power trigger spring for about 10 bucks and take it down to a perfectly safe one pound pull - very nice for off hand work.

Plus the main course, Accuracy. These things really shoot.

Congrats on a fine rifle.

Odd that you mention the trigger..this one has an adjustable trigger and I felt it was too heavy so I adjusted it this morning down to 2.5 lbs easy peasy....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Picked one up several months back after noticing the properly functioning safety. Extremely happy. Not needed at all, but it hangs in there with a Ruger 77/22, and an Anschutz.

Those last two have really fine triggers, and I took the 457 down as light as it would go and then ground a bit more off the trigger spring. Not put scales on it yet, but it's an accurate keeper.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/23/22.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, perhaps I worded that badly. The stock trigger is excellent and can be adjusted down to a light and crisp pull. I just mentioned the replacement spring for those who want to go the extra little bit.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It feels like a bandwagon. I have wanted a bolt 22 for a good while and had a Tika in hand. But not into the plastic stock. Then the CZ showed up on a local shop shelf and it’s been a ball since sending lead down range with the 457.
I see why chasing a round dot on a USRA target is so addictive now

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve always loved walnut stocked CZ’s. I have several. Just don’t care for how they are putting models #’s in the stock

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
It feels like a bandwagon. I have wanted a bolt 22 for a good while and had a Tika in hand. But not into the plastic stock. Then the CZ showed up on a local shop shelf and it’s been a ball since sending lead down range with the 457.
I see why chasing a round dot on a USRA target is so addictive now

I have the tikka and it’s accurate but I’m eyeing the CZ’s hard. I haven’t been to any matches yet but been having fun playing around printing those little groups.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Neighbor picked up a Tika about a month before I got the CZ. Accuracy is for all purposes identical between the twol

1Minute
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice rifle Tom. As of a few years ago I got hooked on nice accurate rimfire's after buying a Savage Anschutz M64 at a pawn shop in Boerne. Since then I have added a BRNO 611 22 Mag (Bonners Ferry ID), a Rem 541S (Sandpoint ID), a Sako P72 (24hr Campfire), a Bergara B14R (Boerne TX), a NULA M20 (Boerne TX) and tweaked one of my 10-22's. They are all just range guns but I am thoroughly enjoying finding the accurate load without handloading and seeing what the higher quality ammunition and I can do. Last month I picked up a BRNO 512 22 LR (Hayden ID) that I have yet to shoot as I have been busy tweaking and fixing things on the cabin. I hope to take it out next week. I really enjoy my range days with my rimfires including my handguns. They are about all I shoot anymore.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
T
Even the 457’s with the Beechwood stocks are beautiful rifles. The Scout and Jaguar have excellent grain pattern, fit, and finish. Nice rifle!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
I’ve always loved walnut stocked CZ’s. I have several. Just don’t care for how they are putting models #’s in the stock

Me either, but it appears that only certain models have that “feature”, not the American at least. The folks in Yurrup have different tastes, I guess, or funny notions about ours. I kinda like the one with the long stock and 16.5” barrel. It’s over a pound lighter than my MTR. Have to weigh my 455 for comparison.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,590
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.