Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Which ever the finish, too shiny or sand blast look, just bead blast the damn thing and get a nice light gray satin smooth finish, That's what I have always done with any SS MKII's or Hawkeyes that I have owned. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]monstercat wallpaper

HR IC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
that looks bead blasted .. I bought some beads to do my Sako’s with and match that level of finish.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Or just hunt with the fkn things till they look scratched and gouged on every square inch.

The guys who whine about scratches on a stainless ruger, embarrassing......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rj308
Which ever the finish, too shiny or sand blast look, just bead blast the damn thing and get a nice light gray satin smooth finish, That's what I have always done with any SS MKII's or Hawkeyes that I have owned. RJ

That looks good. You should work for Ruger.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rj308

That looks good. You should work for Ruger.

Agreed

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Hawkeye Ultralite stainless. I bought the scope off the classifieds. It has a post & duplex reticle and the rifle off GB IIRC for $750NIB. I hit the "buy it now" because of its rarity and a fair price. I installed a Timney trigger. The action was a bit rough, but I got it smoothed out. I load 120gr Nos BTs, 48ge H4350, and a WLR primer. My Rem7600 uses the same load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
My Hawkeye Ultralite stainless. I bought the scope off the classifieds. It has a post & duplex reticle and the rifle off GB IIRC for $750NIB. I hit the "buy it now" because of its rarity and a fair price. I installed a Timney trigger. The action was a bit rough, but I got it smoothed out. I load 120gr Nos BTs, 48ge H4350, and a WLR primer. My Rem7600 uses the same load.

Dave, very nice! ..................If you ever pull the synthetic stock off of the UL, I would like to know the model# of the stock inside the barrel channel.

Ed
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just left Whittaker Guns with a brand new Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in 243 with a 22” barrel. Not an Ultralight. The stainless is satin finished just like my earlier Mk II’s. Even the floor plate is stainless like some of the earlier models before they started using painted aluminum. The floor plate is engraved with the name Ruger and the Ruger emblem. The left side of the receiver says “Ruger M77 Hawkeye”. Now I’ve got to get it scoped and shoot it. I’m sure it will shoot right up there with my other M77’s. Now I want a 7mm-08 just like it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
I just left Whittaker Guns with a brand new Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in 243 with a 22” barrel. Not an Ultralight. The stainless is satin finished just like my earlier Mk II’s. Even the floor plate is stainless like some of the earlier models before they started using painted aluminum. The floor plate is engraved with the name Ruger and the Ruger emblem. The left side of the receiver says “Ruger M77 Hawkeye”. Now I’ve got to get it scoped and shoot it. I’m sure it will shoot right up there with my other M77’s. Now I want a 7mm-08 just like it.

I handled one of the new ultralight 6.5 Creess rbis week too. Just like the old synthetic stocks and has the more durable shinier finish like the MKii rifles. I too would love to see one in 7-08 and about $200 less on the sticker.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lastround

I would, however, take one like it in .308 since I already have several 7mm-08’s.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That one’s just about perfect. Perfect size and cartridge. One dealer on gb claims 25 in .270, but with 20” barrels. That’s fine on a 7-08, but I want 22” in .270.

I’ve had three Hawkeyes. A little moly truck-bearing grease applied to the contact surfaces slicks them up very well.

Had my walnut-stocked .223 advertised locally for about a month since I rarely shoot it, but only had one nibble, after I shot it again and decided to keep it. The majority of gun buyers around here seem to want stuff dirt cheap, and without paperwork. Told one out of state “shopper” that I’m too old for prison, and too pretty……

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What's the scale weight of these new ultralights?

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/28/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much better looking than the original Ruger all weather could never bring myself to own a rifle like the original one

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
Much better looking than the original Ruger all weather could never bring myself to own a rifle like the original one

Yet, a lot of people love the old boat paddle. The reason prices are sky high on them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one in .308. They’re certainly rugged, but that hard, narrow butt is no fun with anything that kicks. Wish I had a big box full to sell to those that luv ‘em!

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bought one of the new ones in .30-06 today. I wanted a stainless .30-06 for a 2023 moose hunt in northern British Columbia and couldn't decide between the Hawkeye and a Browning X-bolt, so I bought one of each. We'll see what shoots and what I like better.

I have two other Hawkeyes and one X-bolt. I appreciate the Hawkeye's ruggedness but love the X-bolt's safety and bolt release. We'll see...

I also figure that a stainless .30-06 is one of the greatest tools devised by man, so it can't hurt to have an extra.

SR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by south_ridge
I bought one of the new ones in .30-06 today. I wanted a stainless .30-06 for a 2023 moose hunt in northern British Columbia and couldn't decide between the Hawkeye and a Browning X-bolt, so I bought one of each. We'll see what shoots and what I like better.

I have two other Hawkeyes and one X-bolt. I appreciate the Hawkeye's ruggedness but love the X-bolt's safety and bolt release. We'll see...

I also figure that a stainless .30-06 is one of the greatest tools devised by man, so it can't hurt to have an extra.

SR

Nothing wrong with that.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That one’s just about perfect. Perfect size and cartridge. One dealer on gb claims 25 in .270, but with 20” barrels. That’s fine on a 7-08, but I want 22” in .270.

I’ve had three Hawkeyes. A little moly truck-bearing grease applied to the contact surfaces slicks them up very well.

Had my walnut-stocked .223 advertised locally for about a month since I rarely shoot it, but only had one nibble, after I shot it again and decided to keep it. The majority of gun buyers around here seem to want stuff dirt cheap, and without paperwork. Told one out of state “shopper” that I’m too old for prison, and too pretty……
Well you do look pretty in your avatar

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know if these are shipping with rings, and if so 30mm or 1 inch?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Had one in .308. They’re certainly rugged, but that hard, narrow butt is no fun with anything that kicks. Wish I had a big box full to sell to those that luv ‘em!

Have 2 , 1 in 223 and 1 in 308 bought the 308 at a gunshow used but real nice for 500. Shoots nice, every year at that show the guy who sold it to me comes by whining he should never sold it and would like to buy it back. I just laugh and told him the going rate on them is a grand plus how bad you want it?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.