Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay Sagebrush speaks with wisdom! smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[/quote]he is much younger and stronger, and you have concerns for your safety and your wife's safety? Are you physically being intimidated by this person? Has he taken money and not paid it back? Has he stolen items?

Yes to all.
He is 27. I am 69.
Borrowed money from all kinds of relatives. Never paid anyone back.
Stolen all manners of stuff. Including some guns from his stepfather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The notification is important.

You can have the sheriff office deliver, that will cost you a small sum.

See if you can add a letter letting him know where he can pick up his person items. I would suggest they be delivered to his parents.

Since he is or has been living with you, I suggest that you have all his personal items boxed, that way he can pick them up when he is out of jail. Make a detail list and have it on each box. Some states require an eviction notice, and that makes it difficult to remove him quickly. All he would have to say is that he does odd jobs around your place for room and board and that would make eviction more difficult.

Have this all accomplished before he is released from jail.

If he has a key to your home, I suggest that you change the locks or have them rekeyed.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To clarify, I am not looking for any actual legal advice to act on, I am simply gathering info. The advice from such a large group as this I consider valuable.
Whether or not I take the advice is another matter.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Knuckle sandwich?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
First thing I'd do is visit him in the jail. Tell him that it's time he went out in the world and worked his problems out. Not knowing the situation or any of his other resources I can't opine any further than that. Probably should help get him into some housing of his own and tell him that's it. He is going to have to grow up. He's going to have to have a job and housing in order to make it. other than that, he's just another homeless nitwit running around looking for trouble. Sorry for your troubles. So if he is her grandson what about his actual parents?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Depending on your state and local laws a formal notice of eviction might be worth a try first.

How to Kick Someone Out of Your House: Evicting a Family Member With No Lease

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
To clarify, I am not looking for any actual legal advice to act on, I am simply gathering info. The advice from such a large group as this I consider valuable.
Whether or not I take the advice is another matter.

No matter what direction you take, the family will think you are the one that is being unreasonable.

If the grand son has stolen before from family and friends, he will do so again. He knows that you will not file a complaint with the police. The grand son probably has your home cased and know where the good jewelry is and if you have any money stashed in the home. Anything that he can turn into money in a quick process. Again, he knows that you will not report the lost items to the police. And you will not be able to report the loss to your insurance company.

If he has not been physical before I may start at any time, when you decide to not give (you call it loan) him some money to go out and about. Any time you loan a family member some money, you really would consider it a gift. If it was a loan you would have a signed document detailing the loan amount and payment features. The asking of money starts with a small amount and increases over time, they have learned that you are an easy mark. I learned to not cary any cash and only credit cards. That stopped the asking.

So when the grand son returns to your home, and he will what will be the deciding factor to have him removed? You have to ask your self that question. You or your wife in the ER for treatment, the jewelry box cleaned out, what is your point that you will say enough is enough.

I watched family heirlooms and all the jewelry taken, my mother in the ER for treatment, a broken hip and still she would not let me report it and she would not report it.

So what is your tipping point. Sounds like you do not have one.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
You don't need signs, that's silly. Like someone said tell him he is not welcome on your property and you will call LE if he shows up.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Let him now he is not welcomed and plan a two week get away when he is released.
Make sure the house is locked when you are gone.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Huncho
Let him now he is not welcomed and plan a two week get away when he is released.
Make sure the house is locked when you are gone.
Solid

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
'...My wifes Grandson is a dirtbag...'

Is she WITH you on this????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Your county sheriff’s office is the best place to start. In most areas, they are the agency that enforces this stuff and they know the best course of action to take under local circumstances vs what state law spells out. Also, the county sheriff is answerable to the voters and is more likely to want to be a level of protection between reliable voters in their 60’s and 40 some year old scumbags. Call your local Sheriff’s office and proceed from there.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Pack up his belongings, rent a storage locker for one month, put his stuff there and give him the combination. Be sure you explain to the storage manager what you are doing, and that the rental is for one month only.

In our state, there are two levels of restraining orders. The first level is civil. That is what people ordinarily get. A two week order is almost automatically granted. It can then be extended or made permanent. Violation is a misdemeanor. The next level is a criminal order. That can be granted after the civil order is violated. Violation of that is a felony. I don't know how things are in your state, but maybe that will give you some ideas.

Also in our state, violation of an order issued for the protection of family constitutes domestic violence. That qualifies for the criminal level order.

My suggestion is you contact your city/county attorney and ask for a two week order, starting at his release. Your local LEO will serve him the order. Write a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested. Explain that you love him and want to see him succeed in life, but the choices he has made make it impossible for you to allow him to continue living with you. Explain where he can pick up his stuff, and explicitly state that he is now trespassed from your property. Make sure the letter gets there before the order is served.

Most jurisdictions try very hard to not send someone to jail. It's an expensive solution that does not work very well.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
First,

Stop asking for legal advice from random strangers on the internet.

If you do something based on such advice, you may be the one ending up in front of a judge facing criminal charges of your own, and what is your defense going to be? "Some guys on the internet said grab a shotgun" or do ABC? How much of that do you think will fly in the eyes of the legal system?

Every state has its own laws, and within counties and jurisdictions you may have different procedures.

Call the county or city in which you reside and ask to speak with a police officer or civilian service officer, explain your situation and go from there. If you don't get resolution, go to the county and ask to speak in person with a victim witness coordinator ,etc.

Are you physically afraid of your grandson as he is much younger and stronger, and you have concerns for your safety and your wife's safety? Are you physically being intimidated by this person? Has he taken money and not paid it back? Has he stolen items? Exploitation of the elderly is frowned upon very heavily by the courts.

Don't pull the tough guy typical campfire BS.

You will get further going in a different direction. But don't take legal advice from strangers. Go get actual advice and services from agencies in the jurisdiction where you live. The courts generally tend to protect the elderly and have numerous agencies and advocates within agencies that deal directly with this sort of thing.

Use them to your advantage.

Unfortunately, your wife’s grandson may have tenancy rights, as was mentioned by at least one poster above, when they said an eviction may be required. So, don’t just pack up their belongings and put it in a storage unit with just a month paid for. Do as McS says, and talk to local LE about your options, but be prepared to have to go through the eviction process. Assuming that the GS manages to play nice. If he doesn’t, well then all bets are off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Mackay Sagebrush speaks with wisdom! smile

L.W.

This.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Chances are pretty good that if he's currently getting free room and board from the local government, he's got enough of a history with the legal system that there won't me much official reluctance to trespass him from your home.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What was the FTA for??? How long is he gonna be locked up for??? Check with the local LE, maybe even the DAs office. As has been pointed out, laws vary and even if he had tenancy rights, he may be out of luck if he’s been gone for a while… good luck.

If that doesn’t work, take him fishing…

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
...if all this bs fails, just call Rip..😉

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sounds like the little schitbyrd has been enabled his whole life by relatives.
Why ain't he staying with his mommy or daddy???
Enablers are a big part of the problem with D bags like this.
The enabling just keeps going on and on like the Energizer bunny.

Just take out a restraining order via your local legal means on his azz.
Then deal with the bullschit if it happens.

You said wifes grandson.
So he is not your bio grandson I'm taking from that???

Maybe his grammy oughta look inside herself a little and take some action and responsibility also for schit she might have cultivated over the years with her grandson...

Or is she letting you assume the bad guy role in all of this.

Not saying any of this to be mean spirited.

Just base it all from your post and speculating their is alot more that has created this situation than what has been said with him expecting to come live with his grandmother again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,668
Posts18,474,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.