Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have an old Marine Raider buddy. I think he's 97-98 this year. After he was fighting the Japs in the Pacific in rubber boats, he used his GI Bill to go to school and become some sorta biologist. His first job was in the territory of Alaska in the late 40's early 50's. He had purchased a Winchester Model 70 270 Win in Washington state before he headed to Alaska. Anyhow, for 20+ years he killed problem bears, caribou, moose, and whatever else he needed to as a Fish Biologist. I asked him one time, being the loony I am what if he ever had any issues killing stuff with it and what ammo he preferred... To the first question he mentioned the 270 worked excellent for all animals, a touch light on big bears but still worked fine. As for ammo, said the Remington ammo of the day worked great and what made it work even better is it was paid for by his agency grin

Kinda brings it all back into a little perspective for me..

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

Last edited by 257Bob; 07/22/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have an old Marine Raider buddy. I think he's 97-98 this year. After he was fighting the Japs in the Pacific in rubber boats, he used his GI Bill to go to school and become some sorta biologist. His first job was in the territory of Alaska in the late 40's early 50's. He had purchased a Winchester Model 70 270 Win in Washington state before he headed to Alaska. Anyhow, for 20+ years he killed problem bears, caribou, moose, and whatever else he needed to as a Fish Biologist. I asked him one time, being the loony I am what if he ever had any issues killing stuff with it and what ammo he preferred... To the first question he mentioned the 270 worked excellent for all animals, a touch light on big bears but still worked fine. As for ammo, said the Remington ammo of the day worked great and what made it work even better is it was paid for by his agency grin

That's the best post I've read on the campfire in quite a while.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
The "best" elk rifle is whatever the best elk hunter has in his hands.

That leaves me out. I'm still being educated by the SOB's. Kill an elk about every other year, but its still fun as hell.. I try to take a different cartridge out every time, but never know which one I'm going to use or if I'm even going to see an elk.. Success rate in my area is only about 4% each year..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

Two great posts pretty much sum everything up. Us loonys have a real hard time accepting the sheer simplicity of the effort - at least I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Two great posts pretty much sum everything up. Us loonys have a real hard time accepting the sheer simplicity of the effort - at least I do.

But if we accepted those perfectly logical explanations what excuse would we have to buy new guns in different and exciting chamberings? wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I certainly didn't intend to "haunt" grin

As a certifiable rifle nut myself, I too have used a variety of cartridges on elk. When I started out I was certain a 22" bbl'd M70 338 WM was the "ultimate" elk rifle. And while it still might be, I just don't want to pack or shoot the "ultimate" elk rifle. As I shot more elk, and saw more elk taken by others, I realized the standard rounds like 30-06, 308 or 270 were more than enough, could be built lighter, and were more fun to shoot. The 308 has always "spoken" to me, so that's mostly where I've hung my hat, but I've also taken bulls with the 30-06 and 270 and could be happy with those too (though I do prefer the 270).

My Rifle Nut card expired a few years ago and I haven't renewed it. I've pretty well settled into the 6.5 CM, 308 and 270 (I have all three) for the rest of my life. I do have a pretty little wood stocked 257 Rbt's too in case I ever take up tree stand whitetail hunting again. There's nothing like sitting in a deer stand wiling away the hours with a pretty piece of walnut wrapped around chromoly sitting in one's lap.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know an older hunter who got a .338 Winchester Magnum in the 1980s, and hunted with it a lot for the next dozen years, from Alaska to Africa, along with several other cartridges. These days he says, "The .338 is a great cartridge. In fact its just as good as the .30-06!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300 wsm
200gr accubond at 2,900
168gr ttsx at 3,200
150gr wtf ever at 3,400
130gr ttsx at 3,600
125gr nbt low recoil loads if your're bored or bringing up a kid...

Need RL 17 and H4350.

Nothin you can't do with it.

Kimber MT platform, good 3-15 ish type scope and live happily ever after.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know an older hunter who got a .338 Winchester Magnum in the 1980s, and hunted with it a lot for the next dozen years, from Alaska to Africa, along with several other cartridges. These days he says, "The .338 is a great cartridge. In fact its just as good as the .30-06!"

Great post..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
300 wsm
200gr accubond at 2,900
168gr ttsx at 3,200
150gr wtf ever at 3,400
130gr ttsx at 3,600
125gr nbt low recoil loads if your're bored or bringing up a kid...

Need RL 17 and H4350.

Nothin you can't do with it.

Kimber MT platform, good 3-15 ish type scope and live happily ever after.

Once upon a time I thought somewhat the same. After using the 300 WSM for over a decade I decided I didn't need the recoil, and that it really didn't do anything the 308 didn't do with less fuss. Certainly a 180 at 3,030 fps makes more of an immediate impression than a 165 at 2,730, but the net result is the same. To me, the 7mm/300 magnums are at their best with mono's out past 500 yards where they have enough velocity to open them. Aside from that, I'll take a "standard" cartridge every day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using either a 300 H&H Improved (300 Weatherby) and a 338 Win Mag for many years for elk and have no complaints at all. Even for relatively long shots I find I like the 338 WM to be very capable with the 225 grain pills. Since I find myself hunting areas where we are hunting canyons and large meadows on public land I decided to build something to make shooting long a bit more predictable so I built a 26 Nosler and I will be using that for the foreseeable future loaded with 140 Accubonds at around 3400 fps. First year out with it I shot a spike at about 125 yards and went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and nicked the bottom of the spine so he dropped at the spot. Hopefully I'll get to test it more in the next couple years...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Whatever. I don't know it all, but after seeing a speer cheapo soft point penetrate two feet through a deer and exit, (130 gr from 270 win) I'm not impressed with fire breathing magnums. Show me an animal that two feet of penetration won't kill, and I will show you an animal I would rather not piss off to begin with lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/24/22.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
You named pretty three iconic chamberings that have gotten it done with aplomb for decades.

But if it’s permission you seek to buy a new rifle, you’ve come to right place. 😊

About as well said as it gets.

Agree.

We here never rain on a fellow Loony’s “new gun parade”.

We’re here to help.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've been using either a 300 H&H Improved (300 Weatherby) and a 338 Win Mag for many years for elk and have no complaints at all. Even for relatively long shots I find I like the 338 WM to be very capable with the 225 grain pills. Since I find myself hunting areas where we are hunting canyons and large meadows on public land I decided to build something to make shooting long a bit more predictable so I built a 26 Nosler and I will be using that for the foreseeable future loaded with 140 Accubonds at around 3400 fps. First year out with it I shot a spike at about 125 yards and went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and nicked the bottom of the spine so he dropped at the spot. Hopefully I'll get to test it more in the next couple years...

I got a plain Jane 300 H&H I might give a whirl this year.

Love the fast 7’s, 300’s and 338 Win Mag…. All are right in my wheelhouse for what you described. Public land, open country, elk swatters.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I certainly didn't intend to "haunt" grin

As a certifiable rifle nut myself, I too have used a variety of cartridges on elk. When I started out I was certain a 22" bbl'd M70 338 WM was the "ultimate" elk rifle. And while it still might be, I just don't want to pack or shoot the "ultimate" elk rifle. As I shot more elk, and saw more elk taken by others, I realized the standard rounds like 30-06, 308 or 270 were more than enough, could be built lighter, and were more fun to shoot. The 308 has always "spoken" to me, so that's mostly where I've hung my hat, but I've also taken bulls with the 30-06 and 270 and could be happy with those too (though I do prefer the 270).

My Rifle Nut card expired a few years ago and I haven't renewed it. I've pretty well settled into the 6.5 CM, 308 and 270 (I have all three) for the rest of my life. I do have a pretty little wood stocked 257 Rbt's too in case I ever take up tree stand whitetail hunting again. There's nothing like sitting in a deer stand wiling away the hours with a pretty piece of walnut wrapped around chromoly sitting in one's lap.

Brad, how are we supposed to take your advice after you’ve freely admitted to giving up your man card and paring yourself down to 4 rifles…. Sheeesh whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

But if we accepted those perfectly logical explanations what excuse would we have to buy new guns in different and exciting chamberings? wink

Bob, do any of us REALLY need an excuse anymore?

I mean I know the 270/7 works great but it doesn’t stop me from
Wanting to kick tires on something else. It’s way less money than trying other wives out and maybe drugs whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’ve come to the conclusion where I said the 270 could’ve done every one of my elk in.

I haven’t stooped to a 308 as of yet…. Maybe the 7-08 is close enough whistle

And DUH on the 7 Rem…. Sheesh have you not heard of us folks using the 7 Mashburn, aka the 7 Rem Mag Improved….

Semper Fi
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.