-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I knew a gal once, that blew pot smoke into her babies face, when he wouldn't go to sleep at night. I'm just curious, as to the age you deem appropriate to start your children smoking pot?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41Keith
... isn't a lot about this whole topic basically based on how people are impaired in the workplace, on the highway and such as in contrast as to how they might be in the privacy of their own homes? Isn't that a worthwhile difference to pursue in legislating use?

I'm not sure I want to comment on legislation, because I have mixed feelings about it. But the problem with the privacy issue is where some substances have lingering effects. I suppose that if a pot user was to stay at home until those effects are completely gone, I might think differently about it. But whose to say when he is no longer effected? The user?

I have seen lots of impaired individuals claim they are sober enough to drive when leaving the bar (in my past life). They weren't. I know it's a matter of different degrees, but it's just an illustration.

Experience has taught that pot users (and some other drugs) have lingering effects on their concentration and memory. I don't see how their off-duty and at-home use can be separated from the rest of us, except by a great deal of time. As far as the workplace - I don't think I even want to share my benefits (and my stock value) with someone who voluntarily needs weeks at a time to recover their full faculties.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I knew a gal once, that blew pot smoke into her babies face, when he wouldn't go to sleep at night. I'm just curious, as to the age you deem appropriate to start your children smoking pot?

18.....same as what i think the drinking age should be.....but i tend to think either your consider a person is legally an adult at 18 or dont....cant like this different ages for different things. cours ive also seen some 16 year olds deal with chit where ive seen 30 and 40 year olds to immature to handle.....draw your line and base you legal persuits on it.......will ppl push the age limit thing and under age ppl use? ofcourse but they are going to push it weither you draw it at 10 or 31 so just draw the damn line and anyone underage caught held accountable aswell as their parents to a certain degree, the younger the kid the more responsible you hold the adult but by 16 or 17 a kid can do it under their parents nose fairly effectivly so the balance tips to punishing the kid who should know right from wrong at this point anyways.......

Last edited by rattler; 10/18/07.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If they were smoking pot to the point you could tell at work the next day they weren't being very moderate about it....were they?

If a guy comes in hung over looking like the cat just dragged him in he's not a moderate drinker either. If he had four beers between dinner and going to bed the night before, which is more than is considered moderate drinking these days, you'd never notice in the morning.

Same with smoking a little pot instead.

Most of the people you know that are "potheads" would be called "drunks" if their choice of substance was different. Most of the people that smoke a little here and there you probably wouldn't notice and you'd assume they didn't do it at all.

Here's some stuff I dug up.

While it is true that THC and other cannabinoids are fat-soluble and linger in the body for prolonged periods, they do not normally affect behavior beyond a few hours except in chronic users. Most impairment studies have found that the adverse effects of acute marijuana use wear off in 2-6 hours, commonly faster than alcohol.(3) The one notable exception was a pair of flight simulator studies by Leirer, Yesavage, and Morrow, which reported effects on flight simulator performance up to 24 hours later.(4) The differences, described by Leirer as "very subtle" and "very marginal," were less than those due to pilot age. Another flight simulator study by the same group failed to find any effects beyond 4 hours.(5) Similar "hangover" effects have been noted for alcohol.(6) Chronic users may experience more prolonged effects due to a build-up of cannabinoids in the tissues. Some heavy users have reported feeling effects weeks or even months after stopping. However, there is no evidence that these are detrimental to safety.

3. Alison Smiley, Marijuana: On-Road and Driving Simulator Studies, Alcohol, Drugs, and Driving 2 #3-4: 121-34 (1986).
4. V.O. Leirer, J.A. Yesavage and D.G. Morrow, Marijuana Carry-Over Effects on Aircraft Pilot Performance, Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine 62: 221-7 (March 1991); Yesavage, Leirer, et al., Carry-Over effects of marijuana intoxication on aircraft pilot performance: a preliminary report, American Journal of Psychiatry 142: 1325-9 (1985).
5. Leirer, Yesavage and Morrow, Marijuana, Aging and Task Difficulty Effects on Pilot Performance, Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine 60: 1145-52 (Dec. 1989).
6. Yesavage and Leirer, Hangover Effects on Aircraft Pilots 14 Hours After Alcohol Ingestion: A Preliminary Report, American Journal of Psychiatry 143: 1546-50 (Dec. 1986).

Last edited by SteelyEyes; 10/18/07.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is your wife's handle "Reddy Eyes"? Sorry, couldn't resist. grin

Back to the subject, it's the hypocrisy of the whole situation that bothers me.

Tobacco (nicotine) is highly, highly addictive and it is a physical addition. Cigarette smoking and tobacco chewing has proven, hugely deleterious effects on one's health. Yet it is perfectly legal for "adults".

Alcohol can be addictive to certain individuals, I believe it is physically addictive to them. Overindulging in it causes all kinds of problems - very aggressive behavior in some, lowered inhibitions of all kinds in most eveybody that indulges. Even moderate use impairs motor functions. Yet it is perfectly legal for "adults".

Marijuana is not physically addictive. Stopping after long term use will make you miss it, it may cause a couple of restless or sleepless nights, but the body doesn't crave it like nicotine. I know as I've stopped both after long term use, a long time ago for both if that matters. Stopping pot was a bummer, man, but I quit the first time I really tried. I had to find something else to occupy my time, that was all. But stopping cigarettes took 13 tries over 15 years and was hell for the first several days.

One can argue that overindulgence in pot does not produce the same aggressive behavior that alcohol can, quite the opposite in fact, but that's just arguing "mine is bad but your's is worse so that makes mine good". Suffice it to say you don't want people drunk or high driving or operating dangerous machinery.

But pot is illegal. I think it's prohibition has led to far more societal ills than it's use ever could.

Either criminalize tobacco and alcohol with long jail terms for both users and dealers or make pot legal. Those who do not learn from history... Seems like we never learned a thing from Prohibition.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate your considerate reply, FreeMe.

Maybe the lingering effects of smoking marijuana could be considered and measured much like the similar effects of alcohol?

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
When it comes down to differences between alcohol and pot, it's as simple as this....

Used normally, alcohol leaves your system in a matter of hours. Used normally, pot leaves your system in a matter of weeks. Regular alcohol users (not abusers) can function in society and on the job with little or no ill effects. Regular pot users (not necessarily abusers) will suffer from some lack of concentration and memory loss, as a rule.

This is why I don't want pot users in my workplace.

Without arguing the body's metabolism of each, what you say is somewhat correct, but misleading at the same time. The fact that it can be "detected" doesn't mean you're under the influence of it.

And don't misread me as being an advocate for pot, or that I'm saying you should want to hire them or work with them. I think pot either makes you stupid, or only stupid people use it on a regular basis...either way I don't want to be around them and I've never met a chronic user that wasn't stupid...which came first the chicken or the egg is another question.

My argument goes to the side of personal liberties, freedom, and the complete failure of the war on drugs to stem the use of it or any drugs by the general public. People, most people I know in fact ingest some substance(s) that alter their state of mind or physical feelings...I'm at a loss to get at why some are legal and clearly harmful, yet others are illegal and only at best only arguably harmful.

Personally, I can honestly say I have never tried any illegal substance harder than pot, and that was 25+ years ago, didn't like it, and left it alone. I can't stand Lortab or Hydracodone that I have gotten for pain in the past or in cough meds...even taken as prescribed it makes me hungover like I drank a gallon of cheap whiskey. But, a few toddies at night or while watching the ball game...I'm all for that. And to keep things safe I rarely drink out...maybe a beer with a good mexican or steak dinner.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Is your wife's handle "Reddy Eyes"? Sorry, couldn't resist. grin

Back to the subject, it's the hypocrisy of the whole situation that bothers me.

Tobacco (nicotine) is highly, highly addictive and it is a physical addition. Cigarette smoking and tobacco chewing has proven, hugely deleterious effects on one's health. Yet it is perfectly legal (for "adults").

Alcohol can be addictive to certain individuals, I believe it is physically addictive to them. Overindulging in it causes all kinds of problems - very aggressive behavior in some, lowered inhibitions of all kinds in most eveybody that indulges. Even moderate use impairs motor functions. Yet it is perfectly legal for "adults".

Marijuana is not physically addictive. Stopping after long term use will make you miss it, it may cause a couple of restless or sleepless nights, but the body doesn't crave it like nicotine. I know as I've stopped both after long term use (a long time ago for both if that matters). Stopping pot was a bummer, man, but stopping cigarettes took 13 tries over 15 years and was hell for the first several days. One can argue that overindulgence in pot does not produce the same aggressive behavior in some (quite the opposite) but that's just arguing "mine is bad but your's is worse so that makes mine good". Suffice it to say you don't want people drunk or high driving or operating dangerous machinery.

But pot is illegal. I think it's prohibition has led to far more societal ills than it's use ever could.

Either criminalize tobacco and alcohol with long jail terms for both users and dealers or make pot legal. Those who do not learn from history... Seems like we never learned a thing from Prohibition.

I admire that post, given a couple of minor points I might take small issue with.

I think Jim in Idaho made a good post there and it's deserving of thoughtful consideration.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.