Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kaboku68
What would be going rate for Savage 1899F SRC with 21b sight in 303 savage? A bit better condition than the 303 savage SRC f above? I will get pictures tomorrow.

Depends. I'd be interested in talking about it though.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have a lot of 1899's but I had a couple scopes and I needed something to put them on, the way they mounted I had limited options for early 1899's and I finally got a rifle they would go on. It's not that great of shape. I tried two different scope on it and I think I will go with the 5/8' Malcolm, it's a sturdier set-up, so more suited for a SRC... now I will need another rifle for the Stevens scope.

This is a 28" Stevens, for a full length Stevens scope on an 1899 you need one that is the barrel length + 8". Stevens listed some scopes as long as 34" but the longest I've seen are 30". For these you need a front sight dovetail so they will not work with anything with an integral front sight post.
[Linked Image]

This is the 5/8" Malcolm, if I had a longer scope I would have more options, but with this one the rear sight dovetail has to be closer to the receiver than on some models.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Gene
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by GeneB
I don't have a lot of 1899's but I had a couple scopes and I needed something to put them on, the way they mounted I had limited options for early 1899's and I finally got a rifle they would go on. It's not that great of shape. I tried two different scope on it and I think I will go with the 5/8' Malcolm, it's a sturdier set-up, so more suited for a SRC... now I will need another rifle for the Stevens scope.

This is a 28" Stevens, for a full length Stevens scope on an 1899 you need one that is the barrel length + 8". Stevens listed some scopes as long as 34" but the longest I've seen are 30". For these you need a front sight dovetail so they will not work with anything with an integral front sight post.
[Linked Image]

This is the 5/8" Malcolm, if I had a longer scope I would have more options, but with this one the rear sight dovetail has to be closer to the receiver than on some models.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Those scopes are great and look awesome on the gun. Having a setup similar to the pic with the Stevens is something I'd like to have some day. But those scopes aren't easy to find and aren't cheap.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Here's one I worked on all winter off and on. The backsight main cross pin is seized and the side elevation wheel shaft is bent and won't turn a full 360' .[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I think it's safe to shoot but some one put a pipe wrench on it and failed to remove the barrel. The teeth depth may not be any deeper than the diameter of a lighter contour barrel at the same location which I assume would be smaller but since all mine are 1899 303 Savage I don't have any to compare and measure for comparison.
The gun took a teaspoon of gravel from cleaning and needed a new staple , magazine main axle , new backsight, new firing pin cross screw near the back of the bolt , and stock work. All that's left is to make a saddle ring for it. I've probably got it thumpin' again.

Can you share details and pics about the work you did to put a new staple in? I have one that needs a staple.

Of course I can damnesia.
Listen , As with a lot of things, the staple is an easier job than it is until you start to do it. You need to knock out the old staple legs ,if they are still in the side of the receiver. Use a light punch and tap them into the inside of the gun ,the shoulder ,as much as possible removed . Find the size of these legs with good calipers or try your drills in the fresh holes to get a good dimension. The distance between the the two shoulders is shy of 1 inch by about 1/ 16. " I made mine 1 inch and believe it just a bit long.
I measured a known good staple on an 1899 by running a length of magnet wire along its exposed length and found it to be 1 inch.
You have to get some good steel (I used a badly pitted 1903 Springfield condemned barrel that I split lengthwise like an orange in 4 and got 4 pieces 4 inches long that had enough meat on them to turn round in the lathe to make the thin section in the middle separated by the shoulders 1 inch apart . The legs need to be touched with a small fine file to champher the ends so that when you drive the first leg into the hole it doesn't bend the straight staple but is an interference fit and snug.
Once you get one leg in just heat the staple with an ordinary propane torch until you can tell it will bend with pliers. Bend it ,( it will bend easy like a nail ) line it up with the second hole ,get it started, and drive it home ,(not so hard as to warp it sideways) with a small ball pein hammer,or if you preferr a softer face .I used a ball pen which gave a flat area on the top because I liked the smithing' look.
The legs need to long enough to knock over on the inside once they are set but not so long as to interfere with the action . Try to make them so you aren't required to cut them off once they poke through to the inside. Make one a little longer than the other , and set it in first. The shoulders are flat bottomed of course with a contour into the staple on top.
IL get you off some pictures of mine before long.
It's easy.
Malcolm.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I will be bringing mine to Savage Fest in Sept. Not in fine shape but an oddity. Darrrell

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by damnesia
Here's one I worked on all winter off and on. The backsight main cross pin is seized and the side elevation wheel shaft is bent and won't turn a full 360' .[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I think it's safe to shoot but some one put a pipe wrench on it and failed to remove the barrel. The teeth depth may not be any deeper than the diameter of a lighter contour barrel at the same location which I assume would be smaller but since all mine are 1899 303 Savage I don't have any to compare and measure for comparison.
The gun took a teaspoon of gravel from cleaning and needed a new staple , magazine main axle , new backsight, new firing pin cross screw near the back of the bolt , and stock work. All that's left is to make a saddle ring for it. I've probably got it thumpin' again.

Can you share details and pics about the work you did to put a new staple in? I have one that needs a staple.

Of course I can damnesia.
Listen , As with a lot of things, the staple is an easier job than it is until you start to do it. You need to knock out the old staple legs ,if they are still in the side of the receiver. Use a light punch and tap them into the inside of the gun ,the shoulder ,as much as possible removed . Find the size of these legs with good calipers or try your drills in the fresh holes to get a good dimension. The distance between the the two shoulders is shy of 1 inch by about 1/ 16. " I made mine 1 inch and believe it just a bit long.
I measured a known good staple on an 1899 by running a length of magnet wire along its exposed length and found it to be 1 inch.
You have to get some good steel (I used a badly pitted 1903 Springfield condemned barrel that I split lengthwise like an orange in 4 and got 4 pieces 4 inches long that had enough meat on them to turn round in the lathe to make the thin section in the middle separated by the shoulders 1 inch apart . The legs need to be touched with a small fine file to champher the ends so that when you drive the first leg into the hole it doesn't bend the straight staple but is an interference fit and snug.
Once you get one leg in just heat the staple with an ordinary propane torch until you can tell it will bend with pliers. Bend it ,( it will bend easy like a nail ) line it up with the second hole ,get it started, and drive it home ,(not so hard as to warp it sideways) with a small ball pein hammer,or if you preferr a softer face .I used a ball pen which gave a flat area on the top because I liked the smithing' look.
The legs need to long enough to knock over on the inside once they are set but not so long as to interfere with the action . Try to make them so you aren't required to cut them off once they poke through to the inside. Make one a little longer than the other , and set it in first. The shoulders are flat bottomed of course with a contour into the staple on top.
IL get you off some pictures of mine before long.
It's easy.
Malcolm.

Damnesia , Here is a drawing of the staple after it was done on the lathe. I didn't take pictures of the work in progress.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17479687/1899-staple[/img]

The best picture of a staple shoulder is found in Gene's Photograph a few posts back. You'll have a hard time telling the difference between one you do and one done by Savage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That looks great and thanks for remembering Malcolm! Oh and thanks for all the details.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kazan says Time for bed.[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So I am probably going to offer $1500. Would this be about ball park?
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It is missing a top screw in the receiver.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by kaboku68; 08/03/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Koboku ,That looks like an original ring. Would you be willing to give a measurement of the overall OD with calipers ? The overall od. And the thickness of the wire used to make the ring.
Thanx man .

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 1912 SRC has the #21 on it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
My 1912 SRC has the #21 on it.

That one looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Two of mine have #21s the other has a King full buckhorn.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It was restored. I think it was in pretty good shape before. All of the stampings are still crisp, so at least it wasn't buffed down bad.

I might be looking for an early King for my 1902 Engraved A. It has a later King on it, and the catalogue shows a King available in 1902.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 08/03/22.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another pic from a member..

25-35 Winchester
303 savage
30-30 Winchester
38-55 Winchester
32-40 Winchester

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.