Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Picked up a bubbad vetterli (think Swiss 1860 Henry but bolt action), and both the barrel and stock have been cut short. I’m debating whether to try and repair the cracked, chopped forend or cut it down to before the cracks and make myself a new, exposed magazine tube that would run out to almost the muzzle like an old Winchester. Any recommendations on fabricating a new magazine for that essentially, especially the plug at the end, or is the answer to just take the old one to lowes and see if I can find some tubing that’s the right diameter, inside and out?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, that's a big bite of a project.

Rather than Lowe's, get yourself to a welding shop or better, someplace that does hydraulics. What you want is tubing that is pretty inside, no seam because it's a real pain to smooth that seam with home tools.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
Picked up a bubbad vetterli (think Swiss 1860 Henry but bolt action), and both the barrel and stock have been cut short. I’m debating whether to try and repair the cracked, chopped forend or cut it down to before the cracks and make myself a new, exposed magazine tube that would run out to almost the muzzle like an old Winchester. Any recommendations on fabricating a new magazine for that essentially, especially the plug at the end, or is the answer to just take the old one to lowes and see if I can find some tubing that’s the right diameter, inside and out?

Brownells or Numrich used to have "universal" brass rimfire tube mags that you could cut to fit your application.

Last edited by horse1; 07/25/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by horse1
Brownells or Numrich used to have "universal" brass rimfire tube mags that you could cut to fit your application.

They still do, but not for a cartridge formed from 8mm Lebel brass. They’re for rounds with smaller rims. I think I have mostly figured out what I’m doing, tried to repair the forend without much luck so I’m going to make it a Vettchester of sorts. Found an aluminum tube that’s smooth enough inside I’m going to use, going to have to do some work to make it fit but it’ll be worth it

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
Originally Posted by horse1

They still do, but not for a cartridge formed from 8mm Lebel brass. They’re for rounds with smaller rims. I think I have mostly figured out what I’m doing, tried to repair the forend without much luck so I’m going to make it a Vettchester of sorts. Found an aluminum tube that’s smooth enough inside I’m going to use, going to have to do some work to make it fit but it’ll be worth it

Nothing brass available in the diameter you need? Can you use/modify any of the newer Henry Rifle big-bore tube-fed options?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Tubes for rim fire are easy to find. I have used discarded metal arrows.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
No options I’ve seen with sufficient internal diameter, a Model 71 magazine tube maybe would’ve done it but I’m not 100% certain on that since the parent brass for my 41 Swiss rounds uses a 0.630” rim. I ended up making one today from the aluminum tube, it’s not pretty but it’ll work for a little while at least. I’ll look into a better option once I have this rifle completely up and running, it still needs to be recrowned, needs at least a front sight, and I need to slap a spring and some sort of follower into the tube now that it sits in the forend alright.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A mag tube from a 28 gauge pump shotgun ? Rim diameter of the 28 ga is just slightly larger than that of the Lebel.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
28 gauge would be just a bit too loose. Actually just did the tube today, epoxied a plug into the end and will be using an 8mm mauser case shoved into a cut down Lebel case for the follower, with a Model 71 mainspring in the magazine. Should hold 9 rounds, not half bad for a rifle with a 21” or so barrel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (219DW, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,143
Posts18,502,764
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.