Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The Air Force would be the branch to join if someone was looking for 'easy'. < Combat - nope, Navy, out to sea a lot, Army, - combat, yes. Marines, same.

I lived in Biloxi [Keesler]22 years,, Fort Walton Beach [Elgin] for 13 years, met many people in the AF.

Many told me what their 'work day' was like smile ,, want the easiest quickest retirement for your kids? Air Force...
Everyone I knew was riding out a pension , although quite a few hated the military so bad they couldn't make 20 years.

Better yet do what Slumlord mentioned, get on military welfare.

My Grandpap served in WWII, told me that fighting wars around the world was BS, said Vietnam was the worst of all.

Pointed out how many died/crippled, money spent by the USA and how things went right back to how things were as soon as we left. Best I can tell. he was right.

I served 4 years in the Navy. Never even SAW a ship, much less went to sea. Your rate makes your fate.

My son just did 4 years in the Army - never saw combat.

GF's boy is in the Air Force now - no combat but treated like a 2 year old.

I was stationed on an AF base - they treat their people like crap. Micromanage to the Nth degree. I couldn't, in good conscience tell anyone to join the AF it they can think for themselves just a little bit. It will drive them nuts.

That's the reason my motorcycle riding friend left the AF, he said his 'first shirt' CO dwelled on the most menial things imaginable. The CO had worked at K-mart before joining the AF and according to my friend - his CO was the worlds biggest butt-kisser in the world.

Another guy told of putting a working light bulb in his dorm bathroom and was written up for it, that incident followed him through his AF career. LAF.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by efw
Not even a thought for me there is no way I’d enlist.

There was a time when we could at least believe (whether it was true or not is open for debate knowing what we know now) that our country and its military was a force for good in the world. Not anymore.

Originally Posted by WTM45
Yes.

I'm for making it mandatory.

Highly disturbing that anyone would think that the govt owns its citizens (actually such a view would make them subjects not citizens) to this extent.

I am for every individual being free to choose the way he’d like to serve his country and his neighbors. If he chooses the armed forces for that purpose that is fine; I tend to think there are other ways to accomplish the goal that are better for the individual and the community both.

I do agree that we all need to be more community-service minded. That isn’t something that can be enforced by edict but taught by example.

Please note I was not specific in naming any branch, department or bureau.
Service is service, locally and abroad. Many ways to do just that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by efw

There was a time when we could at least believe (whether it was true or not is open for debate knowing what we know now) that our country and its military was a force for good in the world. Not anymore.

Yes.

Highly disturbing that anyone would think that the govt owns its citizens (actually such a view would make them subjects not citizens) to this extent.

I am for every individual being free to choose the way he’d like to serve his country and his neighbors. If he chooses the armed forces for that purpose that is fine; I tend to think there are other ways to accomplish the goal that are better for the individual and the community both.

I do agree that we all need to be more community-service minded. That isn’t something that can be enforced by edict but taught by example.

But compulsory is still anti-freedom regardless of how or what branch.

I see it like seatbelts and helmets - should you wear them (serve in some way) - yep! Should the .gov be able to force you to wear them (compulsory service) - hell no.

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Regardless of thoughts on the current state of the military IMO most young folks would be better off by doing a tour in one of the branches. It would not only introduce them to folks from other parts of the country from different backgrounds and races but in many cases it gives a structure to their life that they never had before. When you consider that around 25% of the kids in the country are from one parent families for many of them the military fulfills that family they never had.

Many of the skills learned in the military are useful later in the civilian world. there is the fact that they can learn a skill that may be tranferable to a job in the civilian market. There are free college courses available with the credits transferable to accredited universities, and in many cases even some financial assistance available to colleges and universities.
Think of this way - won't most 18 year olds be better off with 4 years of military to sort out what they want to do with their life rather than going to college and running up a small fortune in student load debts and often having a degree in some useless field of study.

I actually enlisted at 17 and would do the same again, for me it was a life changing experience.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd dump her again!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always felt having not served in some capacity was a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering the timing (graduated in 94), joining could have meant time in the sandbox for me. How different my life would have been.

Thinking about today’s military, the old adage still rings true: Everything the gov’t touches turns to s**t.

With the military, it just took them longer.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Serving under an antiAmerican incompetent president who doesn’t care about the people in the military is a no go for me.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I went to enlist in the Marines when I was 19 and scored real high on the test, then they found out about when I got arrested for DUI when I was 17 even though it wasn't on my record as DUI. My uncle who was a Fed agent at that time pulled some strings for me, but they found out so they put me on a waver. A little over a year later they call and say they'll take me, but I was fixing to get married to my first wife and She didn't want to have to live somewhere else, so I passed on it. Probably for the better because I wouldn't have my kids now. Fate.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our military has not "defended our country" since 1945. It has, as many have alluded to, used that cliche to milk the taxpayers of billions of dollars, while wrecking lives and fortunes around the world. And yes, I am a veteran.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by efw

Yes.

But compulsory is still anti-freedom regardless of how or what branch.

I see it like seatbelts and helmets - should you wear them (serve in some way) - yep! Should the .gov be able to force you to wear them (compulsory service) - hell no.

A reasonable term of service could be akin to paying into Social Security in order to be eligible to receive it.
And service can be pretty broad spectrum, not just in the armed forces.
It would do this generation some good.

But, of course, nothing so honorable could ever be implemented while the borders are wide open, checks are given out to illegals, anyone with a pulse gets a driver's license and anyone can register to vote without citizenship proofs.

Just don't let a pet dog go without getting a license/tag renewed...

I'm not for mandatory MILITARY service without qualification. Some people do not need to be injected into a system they can only impact negatively.
Everyone can do something for their service commitment. Even if it simply involves carrying a trashbag and walking on a highway shoulder.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Yes, because I believe that every citizen who is mentally and physically capable should give some service to our Country. If we had more shared/common experiences, we would understand each other better.

We're sharing the common experience of Biden - that's enough.

I served under GW and was happy to do it. I enjoyed my service but even then, we had too many in that signed up but didn't really want to be there. It was a clown show - forced service would make the services worse/weaker 100% Culturally - we're not right for that. Not today.

260 couldn't stand the mean tweets.

I served for 7 years on active duty and 1 year in the USAR, how many years did you serve?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A la Heinlein. Two years of service to become a citizen?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just wrote a long post on the dilemma ...and erased it all. Too much to really sort out.

Corruption everywhere, here and around the world. Always somebody after what you got. It has probably always been that way and will be till we blow up the world. I guess I will do my fighting when they come after me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes, because I believe that every citizen who is mentally and physically capable should give some service to our Country. If we had more shared/common experiences, we would understand each other better.

We're sharing the common experience of Biden - that's enough.

I served under GW and was happy to do it. I enjoyed my service but even then, we had too many in that signed up but didn't really want to be there. It was a clown show - forced service would make the services worse/weaker 100% Culturally - we're not right for that. Not today.

260 couldn't stand the mean tweets.

I served for 7 years on active duty and 1 year in the USAR, how many years did you serve?

I didn't serve in the military.

If service makes you a complete dumb fugg like yourself...then maybe we should do less of it.

Shove your Biden shared experience up your ass.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Diesel
Would you enlist in the military under this government today? Tough question to answer for me.

It depends on the reason for your urge. If you're wanting to learn an occupation or technical skills you can later use in civilian life, join the navy or airforce. If your feeling an obligation to fight, cool off and forget about it. If you're needed badly enough, they will reinstate the draft.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I would join again in a heartbeat. The opportunities that is has provided my family during and after my time in the corps made it all worth it. The POTUS changes as do the policies and politics. I was in the military or adjacent for the last four administrations. Closer than most could comprehend. The pendulum swings wide and often. One shows up for duty and performs no matter whom is in the White House.

How many of you that bought your home with a VA loan think you could have done it without, at that time?

Semper Fidelis means something to my family and I will encourage my sons to join the USMC when they are of age.

Politics be damned.

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a chance.
Didn't in 1987 really should have. No idea if things would be better.

Won't say anything bad about the warriors.

But Obama made sure their leadership is poor quite a few levels
down. Gays, trannies....Its a sad joke.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They likely wouldn't take any of us anyway. My stud of a nephew, who graduated from The Citadel in '20, built like an NFL wide receiver, salt of the Earth, with never even a parking ticket, did not meet their criteria.... I personally am glad they did not take him, he's better than that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you were 18 Years old again
Every post ASSUMES that you'd be 18 but knowing what you know now. If you were 18 and dumb again, you do exactly what you did the 1st time. If I was 18 again but knew what I know now, my whole world would be different. My wife wouldn't be different but I might have been more used when she got me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Make me 18 again with the benefit of a perspective groomed by many decades?

I'd not join, but would sneak up behind LBJ and do a dirty deed, dirt cheap.

18 today? No effin' way. I believe in defending the USA, not attacking many small countries.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,945
Posts18,498,952
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.