Home
Posted By: Diesel If you were 18 Years old again - 07/27/22
Would you enlist in the military under this government today? Tough question to answer for me.
Nope
Not a tough call for me! Not only no, but hell no!
No.
Whose military?
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Whose military?
Israels military
Carter was president when I was 18. It was no then and certainly no now.
Yes, because I believe that every citizen who is mentally and physically capable should give some service to our Country. If we had more shared/common experiences, we would understand each other better.
No, for several reasons.
No.
I have suggested to some young people to enlist, at the very least school and VA benefits can be earned but I honestly believe if the dems have there way VA benefits will go away but for the combat wounded. They will need the money to offset the expense of all the illegals.

Osky
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Yes, because I believe that every citizen who is mentally and physically capable should give some service to our Country. If we had more shared/common experiences, we would understand each other better.

šŸ‘

I regret not serving my country in some capacity when I was 18. But that is 55 year old me talking now, not 18 year old me.
Only if they made me a 4 star general! grin

Says the dummie who thinks all opiate ODs should die.

Even grannies with 7 pain patches.
Maybe. I donā€™t know.
no, nor do I recommend it for my kids. The problem is war has become a massive grift for the military industrial complex. Its become a business for the contractors to supply stuff. elected officals want war because it helps them. War has become political, the military is also woke. I don't want my kids working for a woke institution and going to a bogus war that was meant to enrich the defense contractors and line the pockets of politicians.
No matter how good or bad current politics are, we need people to defend the country. For that reason, I don't condemn warriors who join the military.

However, in light of all the LGBT & feminist propaganda, the forced jabs, and the general christophobic environment of today's military, and the extremely bad calls in Afghanistan and Yugoslavia, I would never recommend it to anyone.
Joe won't be around much longer. I think now would be a great time to join. Lot's of promotable slots. Rank should fall into your hands instead of working for it. The down side is poor leadership when the stripes are not earned. But, at 18 and you can retire at 38 with a pension, it's a good risk.

kwg
Originally Posted by Diesel
Would you enlist in the military under this government today? Tough question to answer for me.

Yes, I fell for it the first go around at 18, probably would again. grin
Yes.
Opportunity is what the individual makes, not simply expects.
Service to country is noble and just. Takes effort and determination.
I'm for making it mandatory.
No.

I regret not enlisting when I was 18 but I wouldnā€™t enlist in todays military.
Many of us joined up because we'd have been drafted if we did not.

I came out a Staff Seargent, and I thank all for your service.
If I was 18 today no way.
many of my friends these days were in the service and i wished i would have went in the service so the answer is YES . probably the Army . and to the guys that were in the service THANK YOU ,Pete53
Actually I think I might. I never served and went directly to college which was fine, but the military might have given me some discipline and perspective. My dad encouraged me to join, but I just ignored his advice as a typical teenager.

My best friend in high school went to basic, ROTC, then went to the same college I did. After college he made the Army his career. Lived around the world and retired about 5 years ago as a full Colonel. Pretty good gig.

I don't know, you only get one chance at this thing called life. It's no good to look back in time and feel regret.
Dick Cheney comes to mind with your comment.

We're sharing the common experience of Biden - that's enough.

I served under GW and was happy to do it. I enjoyed my service but even then, we had too many in that signed up but didn't really want to be there. It was a clown show - forced service would make the services worse/weaker 100% Culturally - we're not right for that. Not today.
No, I wanted to enlist when I was18 but my dad who was in for 9 years didn't want me to so I didn't. I wouldn't now.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Joe won't be around much longer. I think now would be a great time to join. Lot's of promotable slots. Rank should fall into your hands instead of working for it. The down side is poor leadership when the stripes are not earned. But, at 18 and you can retire at 38 with a pension, it's a good risk.

kwg

My son got out 3 weeks ago. It's a clown show. Rank is not easily attained, they keep playing games between Spec4 and corporal - leadership at the senior NCO level is horrible. Beyond horrible - I've seen the texts they send their troops - I wouldn't let them run a lemonade stand these days.
Under these clowns? I pity the good folks that are in the military during this bunch of fools.
No.
Nope. Not under this pos and his communist party.
Nope, not under the current leadership we have at the moment.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
No.

I regret not enlisting when I was 18 but I wouldnā€™t enlist in todays military.

I have that very same regret, and would fix it.............
No.
But think how easy it would be now.

Nice clean porto potties, I see now in the range areas at Fort Campbell. I ducked into one 2 weeks ago. Clean blue water, no mexicans stealing the TP.
No holes to dig.

Less push ups

Throw your Yellow Card down if you feel you are being yelled at or humiliated.

Chocolate sprinkles at the chow hall, strawberry milk mate.

All types of benefits, incentives, paid this, paid that, TDY, get paid to sit on butt and earn a World Lit degree, take summer off get paid to take 2 college courses.

Get 30 days off a year

Take the day off before a 3 day weekend, domza or whatever the fouck

Do 4 years and come out and go claim PTSD, get $4,000 a month for seeing a dead dog stateside. Go buy a new F150, get a shĆ®t ton of tats, smoke dope now with that PTSD money, buy a Road King and join an urban vets MC club with other like-minded BFFs. Roll around up and down slumlordā€™s road playing Steve Miller band on your motorcycle speakers all hours of the day and night.
Posted By: LBP Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/27/22
šŸ˜‚ no fuggin way would I enlist today. I have two sons 21 and 18 and Iā€™ve done my best to discourage them from serving as well, so far itā€™s working and neither has any interest.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Nice clean porto potties, I see now in the range areas at Fort Campbell. I ducked into one 2 weeks ago. Clean blue water, no mexicans stealing the TP.
No holes to dig.

Less push ups

All types of benefits, incentives, paid this, paid that, TDY, get paid to sit on butt and earn a World Lit degree, take summer off get paid to take 2 college courses.

Get 30 days off a year

Do 4 years and come out and go claim PTSD, get $4,000 a month for seeing a dead dog stateside. Go buy a new F150, get a shĆ®t ton of tats, smoke dope now with that PTSD money, buy a Road King and join an urban vets MC club with other like-minded BFFs. Roll around up and down slumlordā€™s road playing Steve Miller band on your motorcycle speakers all hours of the day and night.

In '82 I went to Fort Campbell for some boy scout function. They let us play in the Apache simulator for a bit and we had breakfast and lunch at the chow hall.

I was like "you guys get fried eggs and bacon every morning?" I was ready to sign up then.
Pay is a boatload better and if i could relive those same experiences, yes. I fully exploited my post service GI bill and loan opportunities and paid more in taxes my first year working than I earned across 4 years in the Navy climbing to E5. Did a lot of maturing in those years and really appreciate all the freedoms and opportunities we have in this country when compared with most of the third world nations I got to visit.

Also, if 18 was a step back in time, I'd buy a boatload of Microsoft stock.
Originally Posted by LBP
šŸ˜‚ no fuggin way would I enlist today. I have two sons 21 and 18 and Iā€™ve done my best to discourage them from serving as well, so far itā€™s working and neither has any interest.
One of my boys loved being in ROTC. But there was no way he was going to join the woke army!
Posted By: MAC Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/27/22
I served 25 years on active duty and retired in 2014. But I would not serve under these clowns
Originally Posted by slumlord

No holes to dig.

Less push ups

Get 30 days off a year

You missed your lifeā€™s calling. You would have been a hell of a recruiter!!!šŸ˜‚
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

My son got out 3 weeks ago. It's a clown show. Rank is not easily attained, they keep playing games between Spec4 and corporal - leadership at the senior NCO level is horrible. Beyond horrible - I've seen the texts they send their troops - I wouldn't let them run a lemonade stand these days.

Agreed. My Son is out in December
I wouldn't do it if for no other reason than I refuse to be vaxxed. I was in the Nat Guard in the 70's. Now they're decimating the NG by kicking out the unvaxxed soldiers.
Posted By: efw Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/27/22
Not even a thought for me there is no way Iā€™d enlist.

There was a time when we could at least believe (whether it was true or not is open for debate knowing what we know now) that our country and its military was a force for good in the world. Not anymore.

Originally Posted by WTM45
Yes.

Highly disturbing that anyone would think that the govt owns its citizens (actually such a view would make them subjects not citizens) to this extent.

I am for every individual being free to choose the way heā€™d like to serve his country and his neighbors. If he chooses the armed forces for that purpose that is fine; I tend to think there are other ways to accomplish the goal that are better for the individual and the community both.

I do agree that we all need to be more community-service minded. That isnā€™t something that can be enforced by edict but taught by example.
No. I enlisted after college at 22, for a lot of reasons but mainly just good old fashioned patriotism. During the Obama years I had a total shift in my mindset and decided no son of mine would be in todayā€™s military if I had any say in the matter. Things have only gotten worse since then. Putting women in combat MOS, gays, and wokism are not things done by people who want to win, and I only want my kid to be on the winning team.
Posted By: EdM Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/27/22
No then and no now.
Originally Posted by KFWA

I regret not serving my country in some capacity when I was 18. But that is 55 year old me talking now, not 18 year old me.

I agree, I should have gone to Vietnam!
No Way

Not knowing what I do now.
Nope
'm with rock chuck on this. I refuse to take the clot shot, plus I don't like the acceptance of the lgtb woke attitude of the leadership nowadays. I did serve in the 60's.
My sig line expresses my opinion on this matter.
Now, if someone, anyone, can figure out just how, to be eighteen again, he'll be a wealthy, wealthy man.

I served under GW and was happy to do it. I enjoyed my service but even then, we had too many in that signed up but didn't really want to be there. It was a clown show - forced service would make the services worse/weaker 100% Culturally - we're not right for that. Not today.

260 couldn't stand the mean tweets.
I served in Army 83-86 ..no way in hell i would serve in the Army the things the liberals have done to the army and how the goverment is now .and everyone i served with and in contact with all say the same thing
The Air Force would be the branch to join if someone was looking for 'easy'. < Combat - nope, Navy, out to sea a lot, Army, - combat, yes. Marines, same.

I lived in Biloxi [Keesler]22 years,, Fort Walton Beach [Elgin] for 13 years, met many people in the AF.

Many told me what their 'work day' was like smile ,, want the easiest quickest retirement for your kids? Air Force...
Everyone I knew was riding out a pension , although quite a few hated the military so bad they couldn't make 20 years.

Better yet do what Slumlord mentioned, get on military welfare.

My Grandpap served in WWII, told me that fighting wars around the world was BS, said Vietnam was the worst of all.

Pointed out how many died/crippled, money spent by the USA and how things went right back to how things were as soon as we left. Best I can tell. he was right.
America's military today are all mercenaries for the globalists. Anything you can think of that serves America has been made illegal.

Nothing sponsored by the Federal Government serves America.
Manā€¦great question! Hard to find a simple answer for me. If I was 18 again, and same high school hottie parted ways with meā€¦and my brother, 2 cousins, and 4 buddies I ran with didnā€™t join, then the answer would possibly be NO. About 5 years after getting out of the Army, I started thinking, and still think today, that like the Israeliā€™s, we should have mandatory military service for every 18 year old that is physically and mentally able. Just my humble opinion, no soap box. So to not be a complete hypocriteā€¦YES! Heck I donā€™t know. Todayā€™s military certainly ainā€™t the armed services we grew up knowing, and being a part of!

Doc_Holidude
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The Air Force would be the branch to join if someone was looking for 'easy'. < Combat - nope, Navy, out to sea a lot, Army, - combat, yes. Marines, same.

I lived in Biloxi [Keesler]22 years,, Fort Walton Beach [Elgin] for 13 years, met many people in the AF.

Many told me what their 'work day' was like smile ,, want the easiest quickest retirement for your kids? Air Force...
Everyone I knew was riding out a pension , although quite a few hated the military so bad they couldn't make 20 years.

My Grandpap served in WWII, told me that fighting wars around the world was BS, said Vietnam was the worst of all.

Pointed out how many died/crippled, money spent by the USA and how things went right back to how things were as soon as we left. Best I can tell. he was right.

I served 4 years in the Navy. Never even SAW a ship, much less went to sea. Your rate makes your fate.

My son just did 4 years in the Army - never saw combat.

GF's boy is in the Air Force now - no combat but treated like a 2 year old.

I was stationed on an AF base - they treat their people like crap. Micromanage to the Nth degree. I couldn't, in good conscience tell anyone to join the AF it they can think for themselves just a little bit. It will drive them nuts.
Vietnam changed a lot of attitudes about patriotism. Thousands of our guys died over there in a political war that had nothing to do with American freedom. It was Johnson and his buddies protecting their investment in the oil wells off the Vietnam coast. My best friend enlisted in the navy and was put on a carrier. He served 2 tours in Nam. He said that when they approached the coastline for the 1st time, every man aboard ship knew exactly why we were there - the oil wells off the coast.
Every war we've been in since Korea has been undeclared and illegal under the constitution. We need to get our people out of the middle east and put them on the Mexican border with orders to shoot to kill.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I served 4 years in the Navy. Never even SAW a ship, much less went to sea. Your rate makes your fate.

My son just did 4 years in the Army - never saw combat.

GF's boy is in the Air Force now - no combat but treated like a 2 year old.

I was stationed on an AF base - they treat their people like crap. Micromanage to the Nth degree. I couldn't, in good conscience tell anyone to join the AF it they can think for themselves just a little bit. It will drive them nuts.

That's the reason my motorcycle riding friend left the AF, he said his 'first shirt' CO dwelled on the most menial things imaginable. The CO had worked at K-mart before joining the AF and according to my friend - his CO was the worlds biggest butt-kisser in the world.

Another guy told of putting a working light bulb in his dorm bathroom and was written up for it, that incident followed him through his AF career. LAF.
Originally Posted by efw

There was a time when we could at least believe (whether it was true or not is open for debate knowing what we know now) that our country and its military was a force for good in the world. Not anymore.

Yes.

Highly disturbing that anyone would think that the govt owns its citizens (actually such a view would make them subjects not citizens) to this extent.

I am for every individual being free to choose the way heā€™d like to serve his country and his neighbors. If he chooses the armed forces for that purpose that is fine; I tend to think there are other ways to accomplish the goal that are better for the individual and the community both.

I do agree that we all need to be more community-service minded. That isnā€™t something that can be enforced by edict but taught by example.

Please note I was not specific in naming any branch, department or bureau.
Service is service, locally and abroad. Many ways to do just that.
Originally Posted by efw

Yes.

But compulsory is still anti-freedom regardless of how or what branch.

I see it like seatbelts and helmets - should you wear them (serve in some way) - yep! Should the .gov be able to force you to wear them (compulsory service) - hell no.
Regardless of thoughts on the current state of the military IMO most young folks would be better off by doing a tour in one of the branches. It would not only introduce them to folks from other parts of the country from different backgrounds and races but in many cases it gives a structure to their life that they never had before. When you consider that around 25% of the kids in the country are from one parent families for many of them the military fulfills that family they never had.

Many of the skills learned in the military are useful later in the civilian world. there is the fact that they can learn a skill that may be tranferable to a job in the civilian market. There are free college courses available with the credits transferable to accredited universities, and in many cases even some financial assistance available to colleges and universities.
Think of this way - won't most 18 year olds be better off with 4 years of military to sort out what they want to do with their life rather than going to college and running up a small fortune in student load debts and often having a degree in some useless field of study.

I actually enlisted at 17 and would do the same again, for me it was a life changing experience.

drover
I'd dump her again!
Always felt having not served in some capacity was a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering the timing (graduated in 94), joining could have meant time in the sandbox for me. How different my life would have been.

Thinking about todayā€™s military, the old adage still rings true: Everything the govā€™t touches turns to s**t.

With the military, it just took them longer.
Serving under an antiAmerican incompetent president who doesnā€™t care about the people in the military is a no go for me.
I went to enlist in the Marines when I was 19 and scored real high on the test, then they found out about when I got arrested for DUI when I was 17 even though it wasn't on my record as DUI. My uncle who was a Fed agent at that time pulled some strings for me, but they found out so they put me on a waver. A little over a year later they call and say they'll take me, but I was fixing to get married to my first wife and She didn't want to have to live somewhere else, so I passed on it. Probably for the better because I wouldn't have my kids now. Fate.
Our military has not "defended our country" since 1945. It has, as many have alluded to, used that cliche to milk the taxpayers of billions of dollars, while wrecking lives and fortunes around the world. And yes, I am a veteran.
Originally Posted by efw

Yes.

But compulsory is still anti-freedom regardless of how or what branch.

I see it like seatbelts and helmets - should you wear them (serve in some way) - yep! Should the .gov be able to force you to wear them (compulsory service) - hell no.

A reasonable term of service could be akin to paying into Social Security in order to be eligible to receive it.
And service can be pretty broad spectrum, not just in the armed forces.
It would do this generation some good.

But, of course, nothing so honorable could ever be implemented while the borders are wide open, checks are given out to illegals, anyone with a pulse gets a driver's license and anyone can register to vote without citizenship proofs.

Just don't let a pet dog go without getting a license/tag renewed...

I'm not for mandatory MILITARY service without qualification. Some people do not need to be injected into a system they can only impact negatively.
Everyone can do something for their service commitment. Even if it simply involves carrying a trashbag and walking on a highway shoulder.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I served for 7 years on active duty and 1 year in the USAR, how many years did you serve?
A la Heinlein. Two years of service to become a citizen?
I just wrote a long post on the dilemma ...and erased it all. Too much to really sort out.

Corruption everywhere, here and around the world. Always somebody after what you got. It has probably always been that way and will be till we blow up the world. I guess I will do my fighting when they come after me.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I served for 7 years on active duty and 1 year in the USAR, how many years did you serve?

I didn't serve in the military.

If service makes you a complete dumb fugg like yourself...then maybe we should do less of it.

Shove your Biden shared experience up your ass.

It depends on the reason for your urge. If you're wanting to learn an occupation or technical skills you can later use in civilian life, join the navy or airforce. If your feeling an obligation to fight, cool off and forget about it. If you're needed badly enough, they will reinstate the draft.
I would join again in a heartbeat. The opportunities that is has provided my family during and after my time in the corps made it all worth it. The POTUS changes as do the policies and politics. I was in the military or adjacent for the last four administrations. Closer than most could comprehend. The pendulum swings wide and often. One shows up for duty and performs no matter whom is in the White House.

How many of you that bought your home with a VA loan think you could have done it without, at that time?

Semper Fidelis means something to my family and I will encourage my sons to join the USMC when they are of age.

Politics be damned.
Not a chance.
Didn't in 1987 really should have. No idea if things would be better.

Won't say anything bad about the warriors.

But Obama made sure their leadership is poor quite a few levels
down. Gays, trannies....Its a sad joke.
They likely wouldn't take any of us anyway. My stud of a nephew, who graduated from The Citadel in '20, built like an NFL wide receiver, salt of the Earth, with never even a parking ticket, did not meet their criteria.... I personally am glad they did not take him, he's better than that.
If you were 18 Years old again
Every post ASSUMES that you'd be 18 but knowing what you know now. If you were 18 and dumb again, you do exactly what you did the 1st time. If I was 18 again but knew what I know now, my whole world would be different. My wife wouldn't be different but I might have been more used when she got me.
Make me 18 again with the benefit of a perspective groomed by many decades?

I'd not join, but would sneak up behind LBJ and do a dirty deed, dirt cheap.

18 today? No effin' way. I believe in defending the USA, not attacking many small countries.
I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I've always wondered how folks going and fighting beaurocrats wars in other countries are protecting US citizens? As far as I'm concerned the last soldiers to fight for their country were the guys in Pearl Harbor.
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I've always wondered how folks going and fighting beaurocrats wars in other countries are protecting US citizens? As far as I'm concerned the last soldiers to fight for their country were the guys in Pearl Harbor.
We're not protecting this country. We're protecting huge investments by the very wealthy and the politicians. Wouldn't you like to die in a war to protect Pelosi's money?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

18 today? No effin' way. I believe in defending the USA, not attacking many small countries.
Not a chance.
Nope
Under our current leadership? Nope. I've some younger cousins in the NG but they're done too as soon as their commitment is up.
Ainā€™t enough $$$$ in TEXAS to get me to serve under these communist a ssholes! Already done my duty anyway!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
We're not protecting this country. We're protecting huge investments by the very wealthy and the politicians. Wouldn't you like to die in a war to protect Pelosi's money?

Very very few 18 or whatever age go into the military with the 'I'm going to serve my country' serve in a selfless way. The people I knew that went in just knew it was there, a place to stay, a place to get a paycheck., a mess-hall to eat in. The 'serve' thing,, that was likely told to them by their Dad,, like Dad and GrandDad were both in Navy, I'm going to do it too.
Like the many military members I was friends with said ,,, it's just what came along and they needed something to do in life. Or Dad showed them he's retired while everybody else has to work, and he makes as much or more than many while sitting on the couch, with free healthcare++ for life.

I've known women around Biloxi where I lived from age 20 - 42 years old, Dad and sometimes Mom & Dad both retired military. Their Mom's/Dad's harped to them to marry a career military guy. The 'look how comfortably we live' young daughter, you'll have security, healthcare, PX and you can get a large portion of his pension if he passes away before you do. We live in a waterfront home, you can't live like this by getting a job around here.

Something else my Grandpa told me years ago, this country is a house-of-cards that someday will collapse.
I guess the gov't can squeeze more tax-dollars out of guys like me who did dangerous, hot/cold, heavy lifting Roughneck work on an offshore drilling rig, Construction work, climbing working off of 42' sometimes 50' ladders and give it to the people who served. Served standing around on Keesler AFB.

And I'll mention the BS of people in the AF who have do-nothing jobs making the same money as a Combat Soldier living in a desert around people who want to kill them. Combat soldiers should be paid 3X what some of the people like a friend Jay was paid to drive a bus on base.
Or Bob that I've mentioned before, who sat around in a back-room at the eye clinic, waiting out a pension. laf
Back in 63/64, some of those young soldiers had never eaten as well as in the Army.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back in 63/64, some of those young soldiers had never eaten as well as in the Army.
N. Korea has one of the largest armies in the world. Until a few years ago, young men stood in line to enlist because they were hungry and the army was the best fed group in the country. Things changed. A couple years ago, fat boy sent his troops across the country to scavenge for food. What that generally meant was taking it from the people and letting them starve.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Same thinking here. I will add that the communist leadership in place in America is another reason not to join.

But we may have to do our fighting right here at home and age will not matter then.
No way Jose

Great reply ..... I agree!
Yes, I would do it all over again. The benefits are well worth it. I retired after 21 years in the USAF in 1992.
Originally Posted by KFWA

Originally Posted by SuperCub

Great reply ..... I agree!

I worked at Wendys for 2 years. I served my country by God.

I think ever mfer ought to do that. Deal with entitled ass holes, mop floors till 2:13 AM, take down fuggin light bulbs and clean them from a step ladder for 4 hours straight, arms about to fall off. Greasy food, clothes stinking, disfiguringly hot frying oil, high compression deep fryer that would kill you dead as fugg.

Get up at 5:30 and be at high school at 6:45, pull straight As on 3 hours sleep half your high school career.

Scrub motor oil off 100ft long concrete drive thru. Listen to bull shƮt requests from pretentious high school drop out 30 year old assistant mgrs.

Should be two years compulsory service. Do it all for $3 bucks an hour.

Keep the grades up or get re assigned to concrete and block laying regiments.

We got robbed twice. Where my goddamm PTSD money???
Back in 70 I turned 18 and enlisted. Turned out to be 4F. At the time I was real dissapointed, but at least I tried, and didn't run off to Sweden or Canada. Still have that card. Wish I still had the beautiful redhead and the 67 Norton Atlas I had at 18.
No chance in hell! But then again, WTF do 18 y/o's know???
Posted By: DMc Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/28/22
If they'll let me be the one to arrest Biteme and his election crew, I'll sign up right now.
I would, yes.
A person still gets the pride of wearing the uniform and any associated benefits. You canā€™t choose who you serve under especially if you join at just 18.

The military isnā€™t all ā€œwokeā€ as folks here would lead you to believe. It is not the same military that I served in 20 years ago, but it isnā€™t the rainbow army either.

Yes, I did and I would again. Everyone should perform some service to the country they live in.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Nope

This^^^
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

Yes, I did and I would again. Everyone should perform some service to the country they live in.

My cousin went in in '93. He said it was a bunch of queers and women. Damn sure not the military my dad was in. It's way fu cking worse now.. By all means though..
Posted By: 79S Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/28/22
I would in a heart beat.. I served under 4 presidents, Clinton, bush, Obama, trumpā€¦
Well today is certainly different than when I raised my hand and took the oath, however I believe it's important that we remember there are just some people that are meant for the Warrior lifestyle, it's what makes them seem complete. These folks won't be happy anywhere else than in a place where they get to play with expensive equipment, train all day and blow schitt up! LOL It's addictive.....and it can be difficult to let go of when it's time for you to leave.

Frog---OUT!
Originally Posted by 79S
I would in a heart beat.. I served under 4 presidents, Clinton, bush, Obama, trumpā€¦

Same here, started in 95 and retired in 2016. My son is currently a Marine as well. Cousin is an EOD Tech in the AF. Our family seems to be military oriented. Our Grandfathers and Great Uncles were Marines who landed on Iwo Jima, Bouganville, etc. Army Air Corps B24 pilots, Infantrymen in occupied Germany. I did alot of back and forth to Iraq and Afghanistan. While the wars we fought will be written similar to our brothers Vietnam stories.

To say the military is full of queers, weirdos, etc is kinda painting with a big brush. Go visit the MARSOC compound in NC, and of the SEAL brothers in Va Beach or Ca, SF in Bragg, Carson, Washington, etc. The Infantry battalions all around the states are full of folks that are there to support and defend the Constitution and hope they get a chance at combat. While I don't like our current administration, to talk [bleep] about the troopers jumping from airplanes, sleeping in the dirt in some far off place, or even some [bleep] training area in 29 Palms is pretty poor bad mouthing.

Support our folks who chose to put on a uniform and work hard. Lotsa warriors out there! Don't believe all that BS on the news, and social media, still alot of good people out there.
Posted By: WAM Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/28/22
Iā€™d do it again but make some smarter career path moves. One thing I never regretted was walking away from the Delta recruitment briefing in ā€˜77.
Originally Posted by WAM
Iā€™d do it again but make some smarter career path moves. One thing I never regretted was walking away from the Delta recruitment briefing in ā€˜77.

Wow, talk about being in at the beginning. Why didnā€™t you regret that decision WAM? The Desert One operation a few years later?
As a career soldier and military exposure everyday in my retirementā€¦No way no how !

And it is not painting with a ā€œbroad brushā€ the transition state of current affairs. It shows your ignorance.

Sure many of the trigger pullers are of a certain stereotype but they have tried to change that and will continue to change that. Furthermore, they gotta fall under somebody and those somebodyā€™s are changing just like in the civilian judicial communities.
Things have changed and I don't think I would. Hard to tell what you would be joining.
Posted By: 79S Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

Same here, started in 95 and retired in 2016. My son is currently a Marine as well. Cousin is an EOD Tech in the AF. Our family seems to be military oriented. Our Grandfathers and Great Uncles were Marines who landed on Iwo Jima, Bouganville, etc. Army Air Corps B24 pilots, Infantrymen in occupied Germany. I did alot of back and forth to Iraq and Afghanistan. While the wars we fought will be written similar to our brothers Vietnam stories.

To say the military is full of queers, weirdos, etc is kinda painting with a big brush. Go visit the MARSOC compound in NC, and of the SEAL brothers in Va Beach or Ca, SF in Bragg, Carson, Washington, etc. The Infantry battalions all around the states are full of folks that are there to support and defend the Constitution and hope they get a chance at combat. While I don't like our current administration, to talk [bleep] about the troopers jumping from airplanes, sleeping in the dirt in some far off place, or even some [bleep] training area in 29 Palms is pretty poor bad mouthing.

Support our folks who chose to put on a uniform and work hard. Lotsa warriors out there! Don't believe all that BS on the news, and social media, still alot of good people out there.

People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served. If they did it was back in late 60's and early 70's when the services were dealing with this problem called drug addiction from returning servicemembers from Vietnam, low morale conscript Army etc... I find it funny guys from back then paint this picture on how great it was. I would never trade anything for my 22 years of service to this country.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served. If they did it was back in late 60's and early 70's when the services were dealing with this problem called drug addiction from returning servicemembers from Vietnam, low morale conscript Army etc... I find it funny guys from back then paint this picture on how great it was. I would never trade anything for my 22 years of service to this country.

Me either John. It was the single best decision I have made thus far for my life. The friends I have today are folks you can call anytime of the night if needed. There aren't many places that build comradery like the service and especially units serving in combat together.

Look at those 90+ year old WWII Vets who can barely walk, they will get to their reunions or VFW just to sit and jaw jack with their friends and brothers!
I would because I will always regret not doing so when I was 18.

My best buddy in college had been a door gunner in Vietnam, and was in the Air National Guard. He took me with him to Dover AFB, and I spoke with a recruiter about becoming a firefighter. I already had accumulated a stack of fire training certificates, and the recruiter seemed very interested, so I scheduled a physical.

Now, my dad was a WWII vet, commander of the local VFW post and a true patriot in every way. I couldn't wait to get home to tell him, expecting him to be bursting with pride.

What I got from him was an angry, "What the f**k did you do that for, you stupid SOB? God d**n it. What a dumbass!"

I was crushed, my confidence was gone and I never followed through. I will always wished I had.
If I knew then what I know now, I would join the USARMY again. But I am no longer an 18 year old kid..........
Phuq no.
I enlisted in 1985 because I wanted to start a family, and the military offered great benefits for a fellow my age. The fact that I loved my country, that Iā€™d grown up thanking God that I was born and raised here, and I loved her was another reason that, at the time, didnā€™t seem important.
Now here we are some 40 years later, and the country I loved and cherished has somehow become a place that I feel persecuted for my beliefs, and I fear for the future of my son and his family.
I thought maybe, just maybe, that Trump would restore my faith and love in my country, but we, you, me, and 75 million other gutless other retches failed respond to an obvious coup in the 2020 election.
Iā€™m sorta glad my Dad, veteran of WW2, ainā€™t here to see my shame.
I pray to God that We The People, can somehow recover our country short of bloodshed, but I fear weā€™re long passed that point.
7mm
I probably couldn't have done it, but proclaim myself queer and join the Air Force or Navy would have been a great career plan.
Not only no but hell no. I wouldnā€™t have enlisted under Reagan.
Nope, If the Enemy comes here. then yes.
Not unless there was a total purge of the "woke" power structure.
Originally Posted by WAM

HA, I had to walk away because I didn't have enough time in Grade! I would have went in a heartbeat....

I'd never enlist. I had sage advice from high school onward that I was not meant for the military.

Class of '76 was one of two years where you did not have to register for the draft. It wouldn't have made any difference. At 18, I was still nominally suffering from a heart condition brought on by excessive growth. I had an irregular heartbeat that would have kept me out.

After that cleared up in my early 20's, I suppose I could have joined up. I certainly had the physical strength and stamina. However, I've had numerous folks tell me that I just wasn't cut out for it. My buddy who went through The Bulge summed it up best: I'm a failed conformist. I try really hard to follow the rules and toe the line, but something always gets in the way. John was thrown into one of those "Genius Battalions" they formed in the latter part of the war. They broke them up in mid-1944 and sent everyone off to the D-Day invasion. John went through the Bocage with buddies who were PHDs in Physics, and he managed to last until 20 January of '45. John admitted to being a failed conformist and really never grew out of it. He was writing a regular syndicated column called "The Failed Conformist" when I met him. It was all the hilarious things that happened to him as a soldier, a public health official, an insurance executive and a stock broker. I inherited his column when he died. I put in a year and then gave it up. At 35, I just hadn't had the time to fail that much.

To give you an idea of how failed conformity gets you in trouble in the military. John had two buddies. They were PHd candidates, and they used what slack time they had in the Bocage computing air burst tables for the M9 rifle grenade. They got damn good at dropping them on German positions and used to sneak up on German bivouacs and drop grenades on them from above. The Krauts would think it was mortars coming at them and call in counter-battery fire. Word leaked out and John and his buddies caught hell for drawing artillery fire with their stunts.

Later on, John got good at boobytrapping. He had all sorts of cool means for blowing up Krauts. However, it earned him a bad reputation and nobody wanted him around, because one of the basic tools was M2 Grenades that had been jiggered to go off instantaneously. John carried a bag full of them. That made him a leper.
Joined at 17. Wanted in the military since I was about 5 yrs old. By age 17 I knew I wanted to go to college so I joined national guard instead of full time.
Served 7 years.
Almost sent home from basic training when I had to redo medical because they lost my records. Doc said my double jointed shoulders were fā€™d up. I lied and said theyā€™d never caused me trouble.

I am proud to have served but would not today and told my kids not to, though that was unlikely anyway.

Both shoulders hurt all day everyday now at 59 yrs old.
I enlisted under Reagan, also at 17.

Still would today, with some trepidation.

CINC come and go.

The pronoun crap tends to sort itself out at the platoon/squad level, as in "They/Them Overboard"!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

CINC come and go.

The pronoun crap tends to sort itself out at the platoon/squad level, as in "They/Them Overboard"!

Those ships made of wood back them probably would've been pretty interesting grin

CINC come and go.

Those ships made of wood back them probably would've been pretty interesting grin

Walls of wood Scotty!
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]I would in a heart beat.. I served under 4 presidents, Clinton, bush, Obama, trumpā€¦

People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served./quote]

Well said 79S

I hear a lot of bullshidt reasons not to serve, when the truth is there are more keyboard warriors here than those willing to write the check.
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]I would in a heart beat.. I served under 4 presidents, Clinton, bush, Obama, trumpā€¦

People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served./quote]

Well said 79S

I hear a lot of bullshidt reasons not to serve, when the truth is there are more keyboard warriors here than those willing to write the check.

Well said buddy. Stand behind our men/women who get up everyday, PT and prepare to handle our nations dirty business. The caliber of our younger generation might not be your idea of perfect but there are alot of them out in [bleep] parts of the world right now, doing dirty work that most couldn't/wouldn't hack and they do it for peanuts.
Originally Posted by 79S

Well said 79S

Well said buddy. Stand behind our men/women who get up everyday, PT and prepare to handle our nations dirty business. The caliber of our younger generation might not be your idea of perfect but there are alot of them out in [bleep] parts of the world right now, doing dirty work that most couldn't/wouldn't hack and they do it for peanuts.

I think you can separate the two.

There are those people in the military. I saw it in 2002-2006 and my son saw it in 2018-2022

BUT they are doing that hard job in bad places where other's won't. And they deserve to be commended for it but that doesn't mean they're not there and if you're one who is so insecure in who you are and believe you'll "catch it" - then it's not a good place to be. But if you're about getting a job done and all are doing so - it shouldn't matter.

One of the things I loved about my community in the Navy - talent was talent. If you had the skills, you did the work, had the respect - didn't matter rank, sexual preference or anything else. Pretty much how I go through life now.
BUT they are doing that hard job in bad places where other's won't. And they deserve to be commended for it but that doesn't mean they're not there and if you're one who is so insecure in who you are and believe you'll "catch it" - then it's not a good place to be. But if you're about getting a job done and all are doing so - it shouldn't matter.

One of the things I loved about my community in the Navy - talent was talent. If you had the skills, you did the work, had the respect - didn't matter rank, sexual preference or anything else. Pretty much how I go through life now.

Not sure I caught the gist of what you meant in the top paragraph, definitely agree with the 2nd though.

CINC come and go.

not related to the quotes above but....

Old man told me a story about his time in New Guinea. Japs were chasing him and he knew a boat - I have no idea what kind, but he made it sound like it was made out of plywood - was in the water below him. He jumped off the cliff and the plan was to swim to the boat but he instead he landed on the side of the boat, phugged up his knee and tore a chunk out of the boat.

I recently attended a nephewā€™s wedding, heā€™s finishing up his second tour, served on carriers. Four of his Navy buddies were there, every one of them wants to get out.

The Navy recruiting is falling short, they are worried about being kept in past their enlistment under Stop Loss.

Not sure I caught the gist of what you meant in the top paragraph, definitely agree with the 2nd though.

The top paragraph -

Originally Posted by 79S
People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served.

I was saying - because I did serve and my kid just got done serving that the services most definitely DO have those people in them and the numbers are increasing but that, in and of itself, isn't a horrible thing if you approach it like the bottom paragraph. 100% of the homosexual people I knew while serving didn't substitute their sexuality for their personality. They were Marines, Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors first and they just happened to be gay - well down the list. Doing the job was the most important thing. Again, just my experience but to say that they're not there is really incorrect.

The top paragraph -

Originally Posted by 79S
People talking how the Army/Marines is full of queers, transgenders and women definitely tells me they have never served.

I was saying - because I did serve and my kid just got done serving that the services most definitely DO have those people in them but that, in and of itself, isn't a horrible thing if you approach it like the bottom paragraph. 100% of the homosexual people I knew while serving didn't substitute their sexuality for their personality. They were Marines, Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors first and they just happened to be gay - well down the list. Doing the job was the most important thing. Again, just my experience but to say that they're not there is really incorrect.

I get you now. Makes sense and I agree to that 100%.

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I recently attended a nephewā€™s wedding, heā€™s finishing up his second tour, served on carriers. Four of his Navy buddies were there, every one of them wants to get out.

The Navy recruiting is falling short, they are worried about being kept in past their enlistment under Stop Loss.

I'd bet from the beginning till the end of time people will be scrambling to get out cause the Army, Navy, AF, CG just sucks.. Then you see them same folks a year later and they wished they never left or they are the proudest members of those who ever served! Most famous line in the service is "I'm getting out to go to college".. I'd bet 1-10 actually get to college. Those that do tend to do well, but piss poor planning stops a bunch of them.
It's what you make of it....
I, like others came from a family with huge amounts of Military background and Family legacy...

And combat arms is far different from Combat Service Support.
Back then and today.....
No matter what with all the changes and schitt...

Some of you dimwits link too much schit together from urban legend, hearsay, and Liberal Socialist Democrat agenda schit.
You would think we have the worst fighters in the world from the way some of you think....
Long dissertations about this that or the other from people who never have served about what they supposedly " know"
Like your opinon honestly means schit.
Just STFU.....

People that have served can say anything they want AFAIC.
Good or Bad...
You earned that right......

I thought about going Tanker or going Infantry when I was talking with the recruiter late June 1983.
Went in as a 11B COHORT contract
Which meant all us little swinging Richard's in OSUT one station unit training at Benning would all go to our 1st duty station together.
We started with 144 and finished with 99 16 weeks later.
DI,s flat out told us we need 100 only.
Rest of you will be sent home if ya dont meet standards.
TDP,d... Training Discharge Program....
1/3rd attrition rate in Reagans Army being built up from what I experienced.
Probably different in Combat Support and Combat Service Support jobs and their training.
Honestly Didn't GAF just thought they was fuuuucking REMFS wherever I went for a duty station in my time.
1st 4 yrs I spent in Mech Infantry out of my 24.
2yrs at Carson
2yrs in Germany

How fuuuucking Ironic...
Hated Mech Infantry.....
Ride around in a Armoured 12 ton beer can in winter in either place and get back with me on how ya liked it.
Espeically you who never were in the military but yet are the know all, end all subject matter experts about it..

šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Eisen mien Schwanz

Gojo bodeeo pogi da

Le mee peck pogi da

Ajahma peck pogi kayogi da

Panjoo duso

Izayen sharbuck kappa

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I'd bet from the beginning till the end of time people will be scrambling to get out cause the Army, Navy, AF, CG just sucks.. Then you see them same folks a year later and they wished they never left or they are the proudest members of those who ever served!

I'd say that the .mil isn't for everyone but it's likely for a lot more people than most would suspect.

I miss serving every day and I've been out 16 years. I did end up going to school etc but that wasn't why I got out or the plan.

Everyone's experience is different and I suspect it has a ton more to do with the unit than the branch in a lot of places.

Rene - the "I would have joined but I'd knock out a DI for yelling at me" people crack me up. They've never thrown a fist in anger in their life but are gonna "knock a dude out".
Originally Posted by renegade50
It's what you make of it....

Hated Mech Infantry.....
Ride around in a Armoured 12 ton beer can in winter in either place and get back with me on how ya liked it.

"Best job I ever had!" lol

3rd ID, 3rd BDE, 1/30th INF
If I was 18 again....
Maybe I would be able to program a TV remote
maybe I'd know all about the confusion between Microsoft, Apple, and Linux
maybe I'd be able to pull in tv or online channels that actually work
maybe I could use my phone for everything, not just for talking to people. Can it really call some muscular Amazon girl named Alicia to learn how to fry and egg?
Rene - the "I would have joined but I'd knock out a DI for yelling at me" people crack me up. They've never thrown a fist in anger in their life but are gonna "knock a dude out".

That one is another classic!
Can't tell me what to do types..

LOL!!!

Same types who are scared of their boss and losing their job types in the civilian world.
Act all different and schit when the boss is around versus the smack they talk when he ain't.
And everyone see,s it...

Seen that many times in my brief 8 yrs of civilian world employment after the Army.

I been fired for telling the truth.
I been fired for reporting higher life forms committing safety violations
I been fired for excessive force
I been not hired for not being a lackey to B types in .gov job.

I had 2 civilian jobs that I looked forward to going too each day
Small Arms Range operator
Off shore oil worker

All the rest.
Just bullschitt to make money.

And civilian employers lean to heavy on the work horse types and their dependability and let others slide all the time.
That schit gets old ....

If ya ask me the civilian job world is a goat fuuuuk for the most part.
Full of brown nosers and good ole boy and Nepotism hires who dont pull their weight or make it look so when certain eyeballs are around.

Fuucking sickening....
Posted By: AML Re: If you were 18 Years old again - 07/29/22
Two older brothers were in Vietnam--one marine and one army. When I was 18, they would scoff, laugh, treat me like an idiot if I even mentioned enlisting. Didn't take me long to get the message. Older brothers--especially when they've already been there--carry a lot of weight. I went to college instead. No regrets.
Enlisted in the US Army rather than get drafted. Figured that way Iā€™d get what I wanted and I sure did. When our country is at war thatā€™s your duty is the way I was raised. Most all the men in my little farm town had served in either WWII or Korea and a lot of the older local boys in the early days of Vietnam. I believed it was just what real men do.

Uncle Sam trained me up real good - infantryman, airborne ranger and SF. A year after joining, he must of figured it was time that I go and put my new hard earned skills to work in SE Asia. I found out I was proficient at it and I actually liked it (most of the time).

Took the ā€œBe all you can beā€ motto to heart. Went to every training and school offered through out my career. Made rank rapidly always promoted as soon as eligible (secondary zone).

I served as a silent warrior on the tip of the spear. Had little to do with the Big Green (Regular Army). I had nothing but disdain for ā€œLEGSā€. My only experience with them for any length of time was when I was a drill sergeant (DA select). Didnā€™t enjoy my time in legland.

Much prefer the company of quiet professionals. Just something about knowing all the men are highly skilled and at the top of their game. I was no hero but I served with real American heroes. I loved my time serving this great nation. I strived to always perform to the best of my ability. It wasnā€™t an easy life. I loved my career choice and with very few changes would do it again.

Seen a lot of this world, did things most men can only dream of. I know when my time comes to slip this mortal coil that Iā€™ll have no regrets. I would love to be able to do it again. I miss the brotherhood forged in fire, sharing the joy and pain. You have to experience it to understand.

That being said, I have no idea what todayā€™s military is like.
© 24hourcampfire