Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am going to be buying a new/new-ish outboard in the 15-25 HP range for use on a 16' jonboat. Tiller steer for sure, electric start preferred. What are the 'fire's preferences of Yamaha vs. Suzuki vs. Mercury vs. Honda? I know Yamaha is like the Toyota of outboards, and I have had a couple of them (both 2 strokes, both solid). No experience with 4-stroke outboards of any make.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From what I gather - all the small hp outboards are basically the same under the cover/paint.

Mercury Marine is basically local for me and as such - finding places with parts and service is pretty easy so that's likely the only real choice offered but I don't think any of the 4 you listed, in 4 stroke would scare me any.

Me

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I have no experience with any 4 strokes other than Suzuki. I bought a little one new in 2017 to push my jon on the river and it has been a great motor so far. I use the boat 50-75 days a year, and have had zero issues, other than chewing up props on rocks a few times.

I just change the oil when it starts getting dirty, put a new spark plug in it once a year. I did rebuild the water pump last year, but that was more for peace of mind than anything. It was still pumping, but it wasn't quite as strong a stream as it had been. The impeller was a little worn, but not bad. Wear plate, housing, and drive pin still looked almost like new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
spent a week in Canada this year fishing. Had a john boat and 15 HP Merc. I'd always used Yamaha's, but this Merc worked out real well. Slightest bit cold natured in the morning, but ran it 8 hours a day, flat out and trolling without a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With my Yamaha's and Hondas, I don't need a nearby parts source, they just run.
A few of my friends run Suzuki's and have very good luck, same with Tohatsu outboards.

A lot of Mercury's around with lots of problems, but they can often ring in at a lesser price.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hondas are best. Tohatsus are best for the price.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hadn't thought about Tohatsus, maybe I should add them to the list of possibilities.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned Merc's, Yamaha's and Suzuki. Suzuki have been the most reliable for me and have the best warrantee (not that you'll need it). Couldn't give me an overpriced Honda.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd shop by price or best dealer near me. A Mercury in the size you need is probably made by Suzuki and goes down the line that gets the black paint. So you are really only looking at Merczuki, Honda, and Yam.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Hadn't thought about Tohatsus, maybe I should add them to the list of possibilities.

Yes, you should, they're good motors.

Any in that size range should be good so long as it's a fuel injected four stroke. I think it's still possible to find carb motors in those sizes, I'd run from them.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually I think I'm wrong and the small Mercurys are made by Tohatsu. Its one of them anyway.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
20 horse Four stroke Mercury, made by Tohatsu Where is a Tohatsu dealer?

Electric start. It's heavy!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have got couple of small outboards. a 2001 9.9 merc (this is one of the Yamaha/Merc hybrids), a 2012 6hp Tohatsu ( pretty much a merc),a 2021 suzuki 15 efi/electric start and a 1991 merc 2 or 2.5 hp two stroke.

I have to say I am pretty impressed with the Suzuki so far. Its been a great runner both trolling and top end and starts very well either with electric start or the recoil starter. The EfI does away with the 'to choke or not to choke" and the minute it takes to get a cold carburated outboard to warm up. Its a few pounds heavier than the non efi engines, but I put it on the boat in April and it stays there until October so a couple of pounds doesn't matter as much it might if I was toting it about all season.

I do pretty much all the work on the engines and with the internet, a local dealer for parts isn't a big deal as was years ago. a few clicks and the new part is there in a few days.

I am so impressed with the Suzuki that I will likely replace the 9.9 hp merc with a 25hp suzuki at some point.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yamaha for the win

F-250 for the main and F-9.9 for trolling/aux

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Yes, you should, they're good motors.

Any in that size range should be good so long as it's a fuel injected four stroke. I think it's still possible to find carb motors in those sizes, I'd run from them.

Agreed, EFI cures a LOT of small-engine ills.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Actually I think I'm wrong and the small Mercurys are made by Tohatsu. Its one of them anyway.

What I found was Tohatsu makes the smaller ones for Merc and all of the motors for Nissan. Also at one time, Yamaha provided a lot of assembly/pieces for Merc but I doubt the new Mercs have Yam pieces.

Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not sure I qualify as a expert, I've only been doing this for 33 years, but my vote is Yamaha first, followed by Mercury, Suzuki, then Honda.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love me some motorboating. Two stroke, four stroke, the more strokes the better!

LOL Somebody had to say it.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago our salmon fishing guide on the Kenai river called Mercury outboards "welfare motors"- - - - -"They're black and don't work!" He ran a Yamaha.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got two 2 stroke & one 4 stroke Merc outboards 6, 15, 25. All of them are at least 10yrs old. They are all troublesome - especially the over complicated ignition systems. I keep them because I already have them but would need to be fully convinced that something has changed in order to buy another one.

I’ve got my eye on Yamaha - wish I would have gone that route long ago.

If I were a serious buyer, id look hard at the weight of each & what prop options exist for tuning it to your boat & expected loads.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 07/27/22.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.