Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
some people are saying he was using a pole for support.

Now that'll piss garandaminal off to the heights of pisstivity.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Will try it with my carry pistol soon.

[Linked Image from i.servimg.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's what you want it to be. But you know Eli was sitting at a table with his gf. He stood up pushing her to the ground, telling her to stay down. With perp allready shooting, security cam timing said start to finish 15 seconds I'll bet the first 4-5 seconds got ate up dealing with her. I'll bet he didn't have his hands poised either. Be interesting to see the real time breakdown on it all...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blue, here's mine with an M-9, 115gr FMJs

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
LMAO, 24hr campfires latest and greatest dick measuring contest.

What? You don't enjoy shooting? Or sharing your results?

Pop some caps and have some fun. If your results embarrass you you are welcome to shoot til you improve before posting pics

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for myself,I'm beyond embarrassment. I'd post pics of about anything I shoot. If I remember to take pics.

Read several references here to this shooting of a bad guy at extended range. Where and when?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys all over are now using the Indiana Mall bad guy stoppage as a training tool. Calling it the “Dicken drill” after the kid Eli Dicken. I’m going to try it next time I’m at the outdoor range. 10 rounds from the holster with your carry gun in 15 seconds. Need 8 hits to pass. No matter what you think, to pull off this feat under stress is an amazing thing. The 22 year old good guy saved countless lives with his cool headed accuracy.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My carry gun only holds 8

And occasionally only 5...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sights and trigger are both good on the LC9

I can often hit a 10 inch plate at 50, but it's no guarantee.
And never tried under time pressure...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The guy stood for all 8 hits? Wish there was video. Anyone know what the bad guy was shooting? Do we know if Eli had a rest of some sort?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
BSA suggested a 40 yard shooting match so I'll get it started.

40 yards / 10 rounds / 12 second par time
(From what I understand it was 15 seconds from the bad guy's first shot to the good guy's last shot. Subtracting 3 seconds for an initial reaction and finding the bad guy seems reasonable.)

Use your carry gun. If you shoot it on steel just count your hits.

I can't dispute this, but haven't read or heard, anywhere on my own, what the timing was. With the exception that the local police chief acknowledged that the good guy engaged the bad guy 15 seconds on from the BG's first shot.

If you have heard or read details on the timing, please post a link. Is a video publicly available?

Either way, I like the shoot you've outlined and set up. Don't have a shot timer but I'll try to have someone stop watch me at the range.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
BSA suggested a 40 yard shooting match so I'll get it started.

40 yards / 10 rounds / 12 second par time
(From what I understand it was 15 seconds from the bad guy's first shot to the good guy's last shot. Subtracting 3 seconds for an initial reaction and finding the bad guy seems reasonable.)

Use your carry gun. If you shoot it on steel just count your hits.

I can't dispute this, but haven't read or heard, anywhere on my own, what the timing was. With the exception that the local police chief acknowledged that the good guy engaged the bad guy 15 seconds on from the BG's first shot.

If you have heard or read details on the timing, please post a link. Is a video publicly available?

Either way, I like the shoot you've outlined and set up. Don't have a shot timer but I'll try to have someone stop watch me at the range.

Blue has laid out a good training scenario/challenge, regardless of details of the actual event.
Now where's that timer?....

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well I can't do it on an 8" plate at 40yds with my M&P, but I have lots of near misses. So maybe if I put up a B27 target I'll get a better sense of how much hurt I can put on a guy at 40yds.

I decided not use my 1911 simply because I can't do 10 shots without reloading. My 1911 and I get along quite well.

I could ring the 8" steel a couple times a mag with the PF9.

40yds is a long ways to be using a pistol to engage a bad guy, imho.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wonder if the bad guy took all hits from upright or dropped down a bit ( or all the way ) and some were skipped in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The story reads the shooter started retreating back to the bathroom after taking fire, implying that he was still upright to take 8 of 10 hits.

A lot of the Youtube "Eli Drills" have shooters doing it multiple times. Really you should show up at the range, hang a target, walk back to the shooting line and engage the target from your carry holster. Exercise done.

Last edited by supercrewd; 07/27/22.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dla

Lots to be said about this comment ... but I’ll distill my thought .

The cat in the event that started all this DIDNT get to decide what’s a reasonable distance to engage , or with what .

Not sending negativity your way with my comment, but I’m burned out on reading things like “statistically self defence encounters are 3 shots at 21ft , etc etc . “

Pardon me if you don’t feel your comment aligns with that mindset , but that is how I interpreted it

Last edited by jmd025; 07/27/22.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jmd025
Originally Posted by dla

The cat in the event that started all this DIDNT get to decide what’s a reasonable distance to engage , or with what .

Not sending negativity your way with my comment, but I’m burned out on reading things like “statistically self defence encounters are 3 shots at 21ft , etc etc . “

Pardon me if you don’t feel your comment aligns with that mindset , but that is how I interpreted it

A couple of things I should mention:
  • I don't have fantasies about stopping mall shooters.
  • I do practice out to 40-50yds occasionally.

And a key point in my thinking about carrying a gun:

I'm not in the cop business and I have no obligation to be a hero. I'm not carrying a gun to protect the public

I.e. shootings that don't involve me - don't involve me.

Regarding engagement distances: I like math. I like statistics. I understand that the risk of defending myself from a shooter 40yds away is so infinitesimal that it is mental masturbation to worry about it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dla

Revealing .

Have a good’un

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by jmd025
Originally Posted by dla

A couple of things I should mention:
  • I don't have fantasies about stopping mall shooters.
  • I do practice out to 40-50yds occasionally.

And a key point in my thinking about carrying a gun:

I'm not in the cop business and I have no obligation to be a hero. I'm not carrying a gun to protect the public

Regarding engagement distances: I like math. I like statistics. I understand that the risk of defending myself from a shooter 40yds away is so infinitesimal that it is mental masturbation to worry about it.
To quote Mackay Sagebrush, who posts here often, "You don't get the deadly force encounter you want, you get the one you get", meaning it could happen at 3 yards or like the mall in Indiana it could happen at 40 yards. I agree that statistically its more likely to happen at 3 yards then it is at 40. In my opinion if you can make a shot at 40 yards, you should be able to make it at 3 yards, you just have to make it a whole lot faster at 3 yards.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 14,945 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.