Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dave@az Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a gun on GB, fellow won't accept a fax from my ffl.wants it in writing,signed in red ink, what's with that?

DC Miller
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they are from California, that is normal. I have had that happen before, if the guy is an individual, email him the FFL list of acceptable proof, heck you can even do them by email now, if I remember right. Sounds like he is too lazy to verify with the BATF on line. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

D
Dave@az Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sent him an e-mail asking about the red ink, came back with" Do you want the gun or not? just do what is legal" Sounds like hie knickers are notted!

DC Miller
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I don't give my money to A-Holes....(taxes don't count grin)
I suggest you keep on shopping....

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Bart185
I don't give my money to A-Holes....(taxes don't count grin)
I suggest you keep on shopping....

If he does he will get bad feedback for not completing a transaction he is obligated to, not an issue if you don't want to use GB again.

Dave, like violater said, if from CA deal with it. Same goes for all the little semi-communist countries within the US that call themselves states. Late last year I completed a transaction out of CA on a shotgun, I will never do that again unless I'm stealing the firearm. If the person you are dealing with is not an FFL and you are willing to spend a little more, get on the phone with them and ask them for a FFL shop they know and trust and contact them. Even in a communist type state, they will more than likely gladly take a faxed FFL and ship for the person for a fee. When I bought the shotgun out of CA, the person said it had to be shipped from an FFL there, I don't know if it was true or not, but it did cost me what I consider an unreasonable fee from the CA FFL. Will never do that again.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The FFL is supposed to be signed with a color other than black, however it is legal to send a faxed FFL. The older FFL's are not always legible when faxed, and printing the number on the copy is not a good thing. That may be what the dealer likes. When receiving a firearm in a transfer deal, where someone has a gun shipped to me, an FFL, I ask for a copy of a photo ID. That is not required, but the internet being what it is,and dealing with who knows what idiot, it is my business to CYA. So before you shoot the messenger.......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sounds like the guy is smart.He wants a real signature on a copy of an ffl,to cover his own arse..

Hell I'll fax you a million dollar check if you'd like.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by WesJ
The FFL is supposed to be signed with a color other than black, however it is legal to send a faxed FFL. The older FFL's are not always legible when faxed, and printing the number on the copy is not a good thing. That may be what the dealer likes. When receiving a firearm in a transfer deal, where someone has a gun shipped to me, an FFL, I ask for a copy of a photo ID. That is not required, but the internet being what it is,and dealing with who knows what idiot, it is my business to CYA. So before you shoot the messenger.......

I'm not going to shoot the messenger, but with all due respect.... I don't know your situation, state of residence/business, or experience unpleasant or otherwise with the atf or perhaps the local communist committee. I do know that your condition would preclude me from ever doing business with you. You obviously check the FFL as being legit before shipping it to another for transfer at that end, I cannot fathom any possible circumstance where it is necessary/advisable that you have a photo copy of ID from the purchaser, that is the FFL's responsiblility to whom you ship it to, not yours. And in the case of someone shipping it to you for transfer to another party, what do you care, you won't transfer it to the the person recieving it without proper id and passing NICS, you make the entry in the books with the information you recieve from the person shipping it to you for transfer, ID not needed as you freely admit. The one I currently use when necessary, and I avoid using an FFL like the plague whether "legal" or not, is typically in the top 5 for sales in the entire state of SC year in year out. He has a very adversarial relationship with the ATF boys to put it mildly, I've been there when he told them to F off while he dealt with a paying customer unless they had a warrant or were investigating a crime, in which case he would deal with them first, that alone earned him my business even when not all that convenient and I could do transfers for the same amount closer to home. And yes, he really did use many 4,5,6+ letter words artfully strung together. Don't read into that anything more than I said, he is an extremely by the book kind of guy--he has to be. Nothing passes through not on the books and legit. He unfortunately is in a semi-rural area where he has suffered numerous break ins and as a result has way more ATF troubles than his fair share and tells it to them like it is. Last time was just over 2 months ago and the perps drove a stolen car through the wall and used a second stolen car for the getaway, giving new meaning to smash and grab. The police took over 30 minutes to respond to the alarm and the ATF is giving him hell over it like it is his fault for making thefts to easy. He is giving back more chit to the ATF jack booted thugs than he recieves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If that particular guy wants/needs/requires one signed in red ink then that is his business and perhaps he's old school, been doing it that way for 100 years and don't want to fool w/ a faxed copy.

IIRC, it's only been a year or so since faxed FFLs became acceptable.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Depends on the dealer, whch may depend on the branch of ATF and their requirements.

I've seen both, and a lot where a fax isn't acceptable at all. The guy is just protecting his business, and I can feel sympathy for his point of view.

And he may not have a fax machine.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B3

D
Dave@az Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Does not have a fax,was just asking why he wanted Red ink,Information! Came back strong (you want the gun or not) do it my way end of discussion! Mebbe he is old like me!

DC Miller
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Red ink to show it's not a fax or a copy of a signature, I suppose. I've seen this before, as well. Sounds like an old geezer or someone who leared the trade from an old geezer.

I filled out an ATF form for a silencer not too long ago, and if I remember correctly, they wanted in in blue ink. Probably for the same reason.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

D
Dave@az Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Much clearer now,thanks for the info! If you don't ask,I always tell my customers there are no dumb questions!

DC Miller

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 224th, 257man, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 60 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,396
Posts18,527,874
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.