Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I’m still happily running my old Kifaru High Camp bag paired with a Bikini frame. I have the meat shelf hooked up but haven’t used it in a long time - I just bag up the meat & load the pack bag itself. Sometimes I get bad blood stains but I don’t really care anymore - I just bath tub soak the pack for a while.

I probably should upgrade into one of their new frames but that dang Bikini frame with its old school laminated wood supports fits me perfect & weighs nothing. Last heavy pack was in 2020 in the Bitterroots - 120lbs trucking mostly downhill wasn’t an issue. I’d put comfort firmly as a #1 goal because, for me, carrying that kind of weight ratchets up the suck factor so it might as well be comfy. Once a person ‘sweats in’ the frame & straps, things get even better.

I’ve also got my old UL3500, Molle Express & Late Season for lighter loads but that old High Camp keeps doing its thankless job.

The pack has to make ya smile…at least on the first load back to camp (why my buddy didn’t remove the lower leg on that quarter I’ll never know lol)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Awesome pic POC

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Scotty! I like the pack & gear threads - always looking for a few nuggets that others share.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Scotty! I like the pack & gear threads - always looking for a few nuggets that others share.

Same here. Lotsa learning can happen if you watch and listen.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

What?!?! You mean trying to learn something is a goal? I thought the goal was to throw rocks and start pissing matches.... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters

What?!?! You mean trying to learn something is a goal? I thought the goal was to throw rocks and start pissing matches.... wink

Ha! I’ll let others stir that one BW! I’m just hear to see what you all have and use.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters

Ha! I’ll let others stir that one BW! I’m just hear to see what you all have and use.

Haha - more of a team guy here & too old to be interested in pot stirring

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I was packing light and looking for a hauler I’d consider a pack frame like the Badlands Ox with a small bag on/attached. I’ve used the Ox and Kuiu Carbon frame. The Ox fits my taller torso better so feel more comfortable. I’ve used the Kuiu more but carrying meat bags between the pack and frame sucked compared to the Ox. I didn’t take the time to get it right and had to stop halfway to drop some of the load and re adjust.

I’ve not packed with a Kifaru or SG but they are at the top of my list for my next pack. Mystery Ranch is solid as well and I like their Treehouse waiting for that to come out as I think it’s the best Whitetail pack I’ve ever seen.

Isaiah 6:8

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Selling my Eberlestock Team Elk over on the Classifieds

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I purchased a MR Sawtooth.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a fan of "Bull Pack" myself

Hang on tight !
IC B3

J
J
Used to love mystery ranch but they’ve turned into a punk “brah” outfit with [bleep] service. I bought a couple bags and NICE frame 15 years ago. Need a few new buckles… their answer, you need to upgrade to the new generation of frames, bags, etc.
There’s nothing wrong with the old frames or bags and they expect me to drop a couple grand instead of get me $50 worth of plastic buckles? Screw them.
Kifaru got my $$$$. Good quality and US made at least.

As a side note, as I’ve gotten older, horses make more sense than trendy backpacks.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Esox357
I purchased a MR Sawtooth.

It's an excellent pack, as long as it fits you well.
Should be just the thing for your intended use.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking forward to using it this elk season!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Esox357
Thanks guys. Yes day hunting from truck, usually 2 to 5 miles from truck typically.

I like my Eberlestock for a day pack.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have been using an old Lowe Alpine backpacking pack I bought in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia over 20 years ago. Has been around the world and packed a lot of game. It is just big enough to squeeze a hindquarter of an elk in there or an entire quartered deer. It probably isn't the most comfortable and doesn't have a load shelf which makes packing the rest of your crap a pain after you jam it full of meat. At least it was familiar and abused enough it was actually pretty quiet. Was looking through old hunting photos and it is rare to find a picture without that pack on me or nearby being used as a rest, seat or pillow. Last season it packed two bears, an antelope, at least two deer I can remember and an elk. I have started to notice enough wear that I decided it was time to retire it for light duty. The thought of being miles from the truck with an elk quarter and a broken backpack strap is a little unnerving.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Truth is, I am guessing any of the new high end packs will provide better support and be more comfortable so I wasn't really picky. Some might fit better but if you don't know any better it probably won't matter smile

When someone posted a link to a Mystery Ranch sale from an outfit out of Kentucky I jumped on it and got a Beartooth 80 for about $325. A little bigger then I really like for most of my hunting but with some adventure hunts coming up the next few years figured a little extra was the way to go. I suppose I could just change bags also if I want something bigger or smaller.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics MedRiver!

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The race is pretty much a tie now. Changed out the lumbar pad to the denser one Exo sells and it made a big difference. Was getting some belt slip and now it sticks as good as the SG.

Originally Posted by SLM
Have tried Kifaru, Exo, SG and Mystery Ranch.

Like others have said, I could not get the MR to stay on my hips, but my kid is using a MR Pintler and he really likes it.

I think the Kifaru is the best built pack, but I could never get it comfortable and didn’t really like the load shelf. Kifaru was great trying to help, but it just didn’t work for me. IMO, the 22 Mag is the best day pack design of them all.

The SG fits real well and is comfortable and has the best load shelf of them all IMO. Didn’t really like any of the bags till the Approach 2800 came out.

The Exo is extremely comfortable and the load shelf is not to bad. The 1800 fills up pretty fast. If the 3200 had the horseshoe zipper of the 4800 it would be about perfect IMO.

It would be hard to pick between the Exo and SG, but if I had to chose, it would probably be the SG. I’m 5’ 8” 160# with a 17” torso for reference.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I may try an Exo sometime. Kifaru fits me better than both Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier, and doubly so with it being well broke in and formed to my exact hip profile. I do have to wonder though how well those others would fit if they had the miles on me that my Kifaru duplex does?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like I said, I wish the Kifaru had worked for me as I think they have the best pack hands down, I don’t think a guy can wear one out.

I had about 60 in the Exo today and it was a huge difference with the harder lumbar pad. I do like the “flex” of the Exo.

Packing T posts is kind of a bitch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those that want more lumbar support on an MR pack, OV Innovations has an add on lumbar pad. I've used one for years on my MR 6500 and it works well for me.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.