Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bruce
I have to laugh because I describe algebra as math with the alphabet.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(a + b)^2 = a2 + 2ab + b2 (or) (a - b)^2 = a2 - 2ab + b2

heat of the meat + square of the hair = eye of the pie

har!

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Seriously, when do you use either/
Used Trig all the time when fitting pipe in the factory.

You need to run a 8 inch diameter line across 42 feet horizontal distance. But you also have 12 feet vertical offset. How long do you make the transitional piece And what are the angles of the elbows to connect it?

A squared plus B squared equals C squared will get you the answer to the first question. But you're gonna need trig to answer the second.
If you do it on Auto-Cad it does that math for you. This was the point I decided Auto-Cad and being a Cad drawer was not for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a friend in college studying engineering. This was in the late 60's. He bought one of the 1st engineering calculators to hit the market. IIRC, he paid over $400. That was a bundle back then. Now you can buy a better one than he had for $20 and a MUCH better one for under $100.
I was using a slide rule at that time. I still have it here somewhere but I don't know if I remember how to use it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Pie are square

I'm no Mathlete but I do know pies is round, foo.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I was one of the first to speak out against math.

grin laugh laugh

Stand strong brother!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can go to my always open AutoCad window and knock out any lines and angles and then dimension it in a few seconds (and I do it almost daily), quicker than I can google high school trig to refresh myself on what I've not used over the last 25+ years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
I made straight As in both units
(Years) of high school algebra

Had a great teacher. Which was rare for our school system.

Hit it off with college trig professor too. Older lady, farm type gal. Actually liked her enough that I brought her a 1/2 bushel of blue lakes that I grew one afternoon. Her husband was also one of our high school teachers back across other side of the county.
You couldn’t be no dunce though, she would write and work problems with her right hand and erase with her left hand. Better get it the first time or you were shît outta luck.
Big on Law of sines, cosines, tangents, trigonometric functions and equations, lots application math. She knew many of us Geoscience and Spatial Analysis people needed those for Quant and Stats, Hydrology and Hydrogeology.

Whew!! Look at the brain on you! I would not have been allowed to clean her erasers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just how does all this white man's math differ from black man's math? Do black sines and cosines have different functions?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Only a very small percentage of the population have seen truly advanced algebra.

If by advanced algebra were are still defining trig, this isn't really true. Every electrical engineer EE my age still has a couple of slide rules designed specifically for trig functions. Every computer engineer, whether an EE of not, uses trig to run R-C time calcs to time computers. Every civil engineer has to learn and be functional in it.

One of my favorite teachers was a trig genius. He would come into class each morning and put a complex circuit up on the board, list a few voltage/current parameters and then tell us he wanted all the specs on the circuit. He then left for the rest of the day, and we had to provide it all by the next day. Component specs and all the parameters of the rest of the circuit. He made masters of us in analysis, and calculus became obvious when it had to be used to specify voltages and currents all the way through the circuit at all the times it was variable. When he got done with us we all understood how to use the tools and were to how to look for mistakes in other's calcs as a team.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Used to use some algebra and trig in my old job.
No calculus.

Hated Calc in college.
Got good at Calc 1.....by the end of Calc 2 LOL

I had 2 years of college calc. Second year* was hard. 30 years of designing power supplies and never used 2nd year calc once. Not even once!

* 2nd year calc has complicated formulas for the limits of integration.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MILES58
Only a very small percentage of the population have seen truly advanced algebra.

If by advanced algebra were are still defining trig, this isn't really true

No, I'm defining advanced algebra the way a person with a PhD in math has seen it.

Last edited by mathman; 07/28/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Trig is one of the more useful pieces of math in the real world. I went thru algebra and trigonometry in high school, calculus (1, 2 &3), linear algebra and differential equations in college. Don't remember much of any of that crap except some of the trig. The huge breakthrough for me was trig functions built into calculators and not having to look up trig tables in a book!

One example: Many decades ago in one of my Army OAC, they were running us back thru land navigation again. Gave us a list of grid coordinates we were supposed to plot on a map, then use stubby pencil/protractor to figure out distances and azimuths for the course we had to cover. I screwed with the instructor (CPT or MAJ??) by going to the trig functions and calculating the distances and azimuths instead. He asked what I was doing, I tried to explain, he just walked away shaking his head. Probably realized I had a better handle on maps and navigation that he did!

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/28/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I wish I’d paid more attention in Spanish Class.

I wish I would have taken Spanish class, but Spanish wasn't cool then so I had two years of French. Just so darn useful in everyday life.

I hated algebra and geometry classes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
math is racist , i am not congruent to anyone.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by persiandog

How about isomorphic?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Trig is what kept the wannabes out of the Toolroom, most were terrified of it. If you know how to use a trig book and can solve a right triangle you've got it made. Never could understand Algebra, I always thought math was about numbers not an undecipherable alphabet soup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog

How about isomorphic?

just a little , but not much.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Trig is what kept the wannabes out of the Toolroom, most were terrified of it. If you know how to use a trig book and can solve a right triangle you've got it made. Never could understand Algebra, I always thought math was about numbers not an undecipherable alphabet soup.

Think of it (loosely) this way: Equations are mathematical sentences about the relationships between knowns and unknowns. Algebra is the rule book for rewriting these sentences so unknowns may become known.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if ( 1 + 2 + 3 ) ^2 = 1 ^3 + 2 ^3 + 3 ^3 = 36 then

can you prove this true for all series ... 1 + 2 +3 + .. n

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.