Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I go through phases and put things away and rediscover them. I was a pretty huge 45 LC fan for a bit and had lever guns and handguns. I still have a Ruger Redhawk in 4.2" in 45LC. I had several hundred Leadhead 315grn bullets that looked pretty LFNish. I still have a few. Loaded some last night and shot them against a 315 Keith. The LFNs were way more accurate and consistent. A quick search didn't come up with the bullets/caster.

Have they long since gone under? I think this is a smaller 3 groove design. If Leadhead is defunct, could anyone tell me what mold that was and if anyone else commercially cast that bullet? It was lights out in all my LCs...rifles or handguns. I am gonna miss it if it's gone.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check Rim Rock's selection.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Leadheads did close it's doors, either due to illness or past away is what I read on another forum.

Clos

NRA Life Member

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He had good products at a great price. But he's passed away and the business is no more.
There aren't many (or any) casters offering LBT designs, which is too bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No personal experience, but I bet these wouldn't shoot worth a shït
from the OP's 45Colt!😉

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/24/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Been using Montana Bullet Works products since 2008. Used 1000s from original owner. They have changed owners, but same molds and quality is still superb. They have options (bullet profile, gas checked, choice of diam, etc.) not avail from other commercial casters. Highly recommended for specialized bullets not avail elsewhere - they will surely work for range use, but unnecessarily expensive - any of the commercial cast coated bullets work just fine for range use.

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 05/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, genius! Didn't know anyone would admit using a .45 these days...

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/45-colt-lbt-315gr-swc-k-gc/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Thanks, genius! Didn't know anyone would admit using a .45 these days...

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/45-colt-lbt-315gr-swc-k-gc/

😁😁😁😁😁😉

All in fun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Copy

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a good handful of those exact Keith style from Montana(non gas checked). They're nice, but the Leadheads are markedly better. I realize that there is labor involved in making these....but these prices defeat the purpose of shooting cast. A 250 or 300 XTP is cheaper and available off the shelf. Pretty sad.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
L
L
Hey, all. I am one of Tommy’s granddaughters. His passing was not expected and we all miss him dearly. Unfortunately, no one else in the family ever learned how to make the infamous Leadhead Bullets. A few people have dabbled with it but none of us have his talent, knowledge and (honestly) his artistry and craftsmanship. We are having to liquidate his business, equipment and all. Do you gentlemen know of someone that would to purchase serious equipment? Thank you for your time!

P.S. His bullets were always better than Montana… 😉

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^There's a hell of an opportunity for a couple 35-40 year old young guys to pack up and move to Kansas, i can think of a lot worse things to do than make bullets that are already well know with excellent reputation for a living and hunt giant Kansas white tail deer and wing shoot all season long, take a drive over to Quinter KS and load up on Swift A Frames from the factory too. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you haven’t shot them all up……measure them, photo them and contact Accurate Molds! He has more designs on his website that you can imagine. If he doesn’t already have it cataloged…..he will make a custom mold for you! Great work and great molds. Just spending time on his website is worth the price of admission! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
L
My mom owns his land now but if someone was 100% serious, I’m sure negotiations would be a possibility.

Honestly, if anyone knows anyone who is in the market for some really great equipment, send them this way. I will check this forum regularly. Thanks, guys!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The real question is why would anyone use a 44 Magnum when the superior 45 Colt is available?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dats Raycist!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by LittleLeadheadBullets
My mom owns his land now but if someone was 100% serious, I’m sure negotiations would be a possibility.

Honestly, if anyone knows anyone who is in the market for some really great equipment, send them this way. I will check this forum regularly. Thanks, guys!

Yep LLHB, i ran all that in my head in about 30 secs.

Buy land/building outright, would invest nothing on the whims of a land/property owners renewal or a some time lack there of

Secure rights to LH Bullets name

Secure contract with foundry for alloy

Secure contract with lube manufacturer or make own lube

Secure contract with shipping container manufacturer [bullet boxes]

Have Wife/Wives of new owners light up the forums on LH Bullets return dates

Research forums and old co sales receipts for top selling bullet lines and make them first

It could all be done, someone would just have to want it, a bit of green, brain and elbow work and one could be in the bullet business with more work than they could do in no time. smile

Good luck to You.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
@LittleLeadheadBullets, I can't get a personal message through to you on this board and I'd like to communicate with you about your business. Thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,278 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.