-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a rockwell milling machine on Ebay shipped DHL.
It fell over and broke into pieces half way here.
I had no shipping insurance, so I was out of luck.
I got someone to MIG weld together the pieces.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Seller's responsible to get the buyer their item, period. If the buyer wants insurance, they pay for it, IMHO. Been buying, selling, shipping for 25+ years and have never lost a package yet, knock on wood.

I try my best to package securely, but I've seen some stupid stuff over the years. Just recently had a dipshit ship a Holosun red dot mounted on an aftermarket mount that wouldn't fit back in the factory box with the mount attached loose in a USPS flate rate envelope. The factory box from Holosun is similar to a Pelican case and is bomb proof.

Would've taken two minutes to remove the four mount screws and put the optic inside the case. Instead it bounced around clear across the country banging into the hard plastic case (yes, the case was in the envelope). No bubble wrap, nothing, on the optic.

Had a guy ship a rifle once wrapped in a blanket. That was it. No box. Nothing. Duck taped blanket.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If it's the seller's sole responsibility to get it to the buyer wtf would the buyer ever purchase insurance? If that was the case, the shipper would be buying insurance and passing the cost onto the buyer. To me, that obviously shows the buyer owns the item in transit and takes responsibility, assuming correct labeling and packaging by the seller. Expecting every online seller to self-insure like the big guys is too much to ask. Interesting topic.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/28/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have paid for insurance a few time and its necessary. It's good for expensive packages. mostly when shipping with USPS.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Because that's their choice. Did you read the part about never losing a package? WTF would I pay for it? If something got lost, I'd make it right, but I'm not giving the shipper anymore money than I have to. The odds are in my favor.

If the buyer feels more comfortable having the package insured, they can pay for it.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
... I always ship insured with several pictures of the item packed securely and one of the taped up package on the shipping company’s counter with the shipping label applied to show the buyer the condition of the package when it left my possession.

Only ever had to file 2 claims and both were for items insured for over $2000 and got every dime of it due to my thorough pictures and packaging.

Smart!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Because that's their choice. Did you read the part about never losing a package? WTF would I pay for it? If something got lost, I'd make it right, but I'm not giving the shipper anymore money than I have to. The odds are in my favor.

If the buyer feels more comfortable having the package insured, they can pay for it.
If the package is lost due to no fault of the seller, your premise seems to dictate the it's solely a loss on the seller to remedy, period. If you wish to cover it when you are the seller, so be it. Do you expect the same from others?

Just killing time. No big deal.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/28/22.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It appears that there are 2 very different and distinct schools of thought here. Thank you.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

If the package is lost due to no fault of the seller, your premise seems to dictate the it's solely a loss on the seller to remedy, period. If you wish to cover it when you are the seller, so be it. Do you expect the same from others?

If you bought a $1000 scope from Doug and it was lost, you'd just say "Oh well".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The shipping company said they only paid 10 cents a pound for the used cast iron in my mill.

I am not getting in a legal snit over a few thousand dollars with a big company that has already played that game over and over.

I went through that with Allstate insurance when their drunk driver policy holder totaled my MGA in 1974. They offered pennies on the dollar.
It is not just that they have attorneys on retainer, it is they have professional A hole claims adjusters. In my case i was a phyco black man.

You can win, but they will make you wish you had not.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

If you bought a $1000 scope from Doug and it was lost, you'd just say "Oh well".
It's pretty easy to see it's an issue to be considered as a part of the total transaction. It'd be foolhardy to assume anything, especially in a peer to peer transaction.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ship many knives ,obviously . On my website it clearly states my terms ,that is ,if you want insurance on your shipment ,ask for it ,and there is an extra cost . I state I will reimburse the funds they pay out,when they pay out . And I state it that way because the USPS is notorious for not paying out.
My take on this is ,I own a knife ,you buy it ,now you own it . I hand it to another outfit to ship it . If they screw up,why am I responsible ? Tell me what big firm assumes the responsibility of another firm's negligence ? Sorry I can't do it . Now with all this said I have a very successful delivery rate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

If a business asks if you want to pay extra for insurance, are they implying you're on your own if something goes awry? It's been a while since I've ordered anything from Camera Land but if I remember correctly, I was asked that. I'm not suggesting Camera Land wouldn't make it right if I hadn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From an attorney who no longer posts on the fire:

The law assumes F.O.B. point of origin, which means risk of loss passes
to the buyer when the seller delivers the item to the shipper.
Commercial invoices typically state the same.

Terms of service for places like eGay place some responsibility on the
seller. But if the seller cans show a tracking number "Delivered", you
are stuck even if it was not Delivered.

And I did not pay $1k/hour to get that statement.... it was a freebee:)

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VinceM
I ship many knives ,obviously . On my website it clearly states my terms ,that is ,if you want insurance on your shipment ,ask for it ,and there is an extra cost . I state I will reimburse the funds they pay out,when they pay out . And I state it that way because the USPS is notorious for not paying out.
My take on this is ,I own a knife ,you buy it ,now you own it . I hand it to another outfit to ship it . If they screw up,why am I responsible ? Tell me what big firm assumes the responsibility of another firm's negligence ? Sorry I can't do it . Now with all this said I have a very successful delivery rate.

My only personal experience is with Amazon. They paid, no questions asked. I think maybe Cabela's did as well, but can't remember for sure. My internet search indicates the seller is generally responsible for lost or damaged items.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR

My only personal experience is with Amazon. They paid, no questions asked. I think maybe Cabela's did as well, but can't remember for sure. My internet search indicates the seller is generally responsible for lost or damaged items.

It is my OPNION that the seller hasn't completed the transaction until it is delivered to the buyer and meets their satisfaction. If I buy a rifle and it has a big gouge in the wood how do I know it happened in transit and that it wasn't there before it was ever boxed up? I find it interesting the differences in perspectives on this.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tesoro
The person who pays for insurance is the one who gets reimbursed if there is a loss

+1. In other words - the seller.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by WMR

It is my OPNION that the seller hasn't completed the transaction until it is delivered to the buyer and meets their satisfaction. If I buy a rifle and it has a big gouge in the wood how do I know it happened in transit and that it wasn't there before it was ever boxed up? I find it interesting the differences in perspectives on this.

FWIW, I've sold some items online. I ALWAYS insure the shipment. I may or may not pass this cost on to the shipping charge, depending on the deal. I'd expect to make good on any lost or damaged item. BTW, USPS insurance cost is very high for the amount of coverage it provides. If I were a gambler, I'd probably come out ahead to self insure instead. If I shipped often, I probably would.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 160user
I refuse to ship anything of value without insurance any more. The question arose today on who is responsible for the insurance and/or claim. I would like to hear some different perspectives and logics..
Don't waste your money with USPS insurance... BTDT, and NEVER AGAIN...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Buyer pays

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/29/22.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (1minute, 7mm_Loco, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 22 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.