That's my understanding.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
After spending 30+ years teaching auto mechanics at the state trade school and high school level, I have some definite opinions about trade education. A lot of the state programs are "last chance education"- - - - -trying to give people some entry level trade skills before they have to go on some sort of welfare program for the rest of their lives. High school- - - -"trade and industrial education"- - - -now known as "STEM" (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Manufacturing) is where the counselors used to shove the special ed kids and others who couldn't handle the "college prep" curriculum. Most of those "counselors" would starve to death if they ever had to leave public education. They have NO skills that qualify them to make a living other than sucking up public dollars.

I don't think that's right about STEM.

Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathmatics unless there’s other acronyms for it.

These Academies are present in the public school systems and have limited enrollments.

Pre college courses offered, mainly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
In most states, Electrician, plumbing, and other building/construction trades your trade school is an apprenticeship. You go to school a few nights a week or one day a week and work/learn on the job the other days of the work week. And you can earn a living while learning a trade. Win/Win... no educational loans to repay forever and make a decent wage once you get even half way through the apprenticeship, not to mention what you make once you get your journeyman card.

For machinists, mechanics, and welders I would definitely consider a good trade school or community college program. These particular trades need additional technical training that these schools give in a very short time due to all the new tech installed in new equipment these days or specific requirements such as welding certifications.

Check your state's apprenticeship division to see how to get on the list. Be aware this isn't a slam dunk, though. Most apprenticeship programs require decent high school transcripts with strong science and math skills along with manual dexterity. A good dose of motivation also helps ...
My grand nephew is in the Electrician's apprentice program in Florida and it is as you describe. He works a full day 5 days/week and then one night per week goes to school. That makes for a long day but if it was all easy everyone would do it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Inner city high schools with lots of ghetto rats and gangbangers use the STEM programs for a dumping ground, at least in the Nashville Tennessee school system. There are limited enrollment high schools with a lottery system for the future engineers and computer nerds.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Sheister
In most states, Electrician, plumbing, and other building/construction trades your trade school is an apprenticeship. You go to school a few nights a week or one day a week and work/learn on the job the other days of the work week. And you can earn a living while learning a trade. Win/Win... no educational loans to repay forever and make a decent wage once you get even half way through the apprenticeship, not to mention what you make once you get your journeyman card.

For machinists, mechanics, and welders I would definitely consider a good trade school or community college program. These particular trades need additional technical training that these schools give in a very short time due to all the new tech installed in new equipment these days or specific requirements such as welding certifications.

Check your state's apprenticeship division to see how to get on the list. Be aware this isn't a slam dunk, though. Most apprenticeship programs require decent high school transcripts with strong science and math skills along with manual dexterity. A good dose of motivation also helps ...
My grand nephew is in the Electrician's apprentice program in Florida and it is as you describe. He works a full day 5 days/week and then one night per week goes to school. That makes for a long day but if it was all easy everyone would do it.

Yep.

He winds up with something that has a handle on it, is in demand and no college loan payments to make.

Now that's a genuine jump start on life.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Penn College at Williamsport (home of the Little League Championship game) has a lot of good programs, including four-year. My son took a two-year landscaping program and has done very well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There will always be demand for good hard working self motivated plumbers, electricians, HVAC mechanics, and auto mechanics. Even in a downturn the ones with the qualifiers I mentioned will be retained while the deadwood will be laid off.
Everyone used to strap on a tool belt and become a carpenter in a recession, but now you won't displace the Mexicans.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Useful and most bang for the buck?

Electrician. You can work while taking classes and there is a a lot of options, whether to go private or work for a company once you're a journey-level electrician. Both of my brothers are electricians and they can work as much as they want on the side along with their full-time jobs.

Next would be plumbing, but new construction would be the best place to land if doing plumbing. You never know when the construction market might take a hit also.

All that said, I went the 2 yr college AAS deal for welding and it's been a good career for me. The welding education was absolutely crucial to getting me started. I've worked with many guys over the years that went to the school of hard knocks and glad I didn't go that route.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In the diesel repair field, the one in Wyoming has got a pretty bad rap...the one in Phoenix turns out some 'ready to work' mechanics.

They had a good reputation when I was a kid. Damn expensive though.

I went to a university that had a strong vo tech core.

It was pretty cheap....you got an education in other things besides diesel and you could work all 4 years.

At the time you had a guaranteed job upon graduation.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Electrician, plumber, HVAC in that order. Would be inquiring about apprenticeships locally and seeing what they want you to do. Many will send you to school one day a week while they work you the other four days. Wouldn't go seeking my own trade school education w/o guidance from them first.

Personally, wouldn't go the welding or machining route unless you can go the custom fab route. Production welding and machining will make you a living, but it will suck and you won't be making electrician/plumber/HVAC money in my locale. Education - find a local Tech School, certainly wouldn't relocate for one. Better yet would be find a job with OJT that will send you out for classes or reimburse a percentage.

Want to be on the road and put up in half assed hotels April-November? Framing, commercial roofing, and concrete is for you! No education required, just clean piss day 1 (doesn't even need to be yours!).

I'd leave residential roofing alone unless I was running the show, then I'd hire Mexicans.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TSTI "Texas State Technical Institute" in Waco, TX was, at one time, one of the top trade schools in the U.S.

Haven't checked on them in several years.
Hell, I'm 72 years old! Too damned late for me to go to a trade school! 🤪

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
There will always be demand for good hard working self motivated plumbers, electricians, HVAC mechanics, and auto mechanics. Even in a downturn the ones with the qualifiers I mentioned will be retained while the deadwood will be laid off.
Everyone used to strap on a tool belt and becomes is a carpenter in a recession, but now you won't displace the Mexicans.

HVAC is a great place to start.
Big demand , learn for real on the bosses dime.

Get your stupid mistakes out on his jobs.
Side work, then on your own.

Refrigeration/heating, with a bunch of plumbing and electrical
thrown in. A bit of construction on some jobs too.

If you take that self employed step, you won't be a one trick pony.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not many ( if any) trade schools are here.

Most junior colleges have trades though.

Usually a school will offer most routes, but will specialize in one or two.

Machine, welding , electrical, lineman, , machnical..... etc.

The best instructors come from the field. The book taught life long educators... meh...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Everyone used to strap on a tool belt and becomes is a carpenter in a recession, but now you won't displace the Mexicans.

HVAC is a great place to start.
Big demand , learn for real on the bosses dime.

Get your stupid mistakes out on his jobs.
Side work, then on your own.

Refrigeration/heating, with a bunch of plumbing and electrical
thrown in. A bit of construction on some jobs too.

If you take that self employed step, you won't be a one trick pony.

That's what I did. Started out as a commercial construction laborer, ended up running the Facilities Maintenance Dept. for the second largest city in NV. Worked hard, loyal to my employers, never stopped learning new things, not afraid of responsibility. Attitude has much to do with how far you go. I didn't have a college degree but I was promoted over many who did.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Check with your local trade union and apply for the apprenticeships

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Personally, wouldn't go the welding or machining route unless you can go the custom fab route. Production welding and machining will make you a living, but it will suck and you won't be making electrician/plumber/HVAC money in my locale. Education - find a local Tech School, certainly wouldn't relocate for one. Better yet would be find a job with OJT that will send you out for classes or reimburse a percentage.

You are right regarding production work, but repair work pays hand over fist for the most part. Not talking welding mufflers or whatever, I mean real repair work. I relocated because of the quality and thoroughness of the education, and then went back home. Ended up working on $100,000,000 rotors and casings three months after completing trade school. YMMV but seeking out quality education always pays off if you utilize it correctly and take full advantage of your time spent learning.

Attached Images
rps20220719_195713~2.jpg (49.92 KB, 124 downloads)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I was starting over it would be in the lineman trade. Followed by the robotics tech or electronics or electrical fields

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 31 yo nephew went to the oil patch right out of HS as a laborer. He’s a driller now and makes Big Bucks working 21 days on and 21 days off. Duck hunts a lot.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago there was a glut of diesel mechanic program graduates with poor job opportunities and a ton of debt from their for-profit schools. My impression was it was a similar situation for auto mechanics. Not sure what the current state of affairs is, but 20 years or so ago it sounded like a bad situation.

I'm guessing like a lot of things choosing a trade should take into account a person's attributes and interests, with some trades a better match for an individual than others.

For example, I'm not sure a person allergic to numbers with no attention to detail would be a good match for the machinist trade. Lots of things that might not be as obvious as someone with a fear of heights not being a good match for a job replacing light bulbs on top of towers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MD521
Another one to check out is the Millwright Building Trades Union.

If you can get lucky enough this is were you need to be looking.
You know the saying
Jack of all Trades master on none.

Well I have worked with several Millwright crews.
They are the Jack of all Trades Masters of all.

All the crews I have worked with have been able to do just abut everything all in one Trade.
Electrical ,Mechanical ,Welding ,Machining, Plumbing , Framing you name it and they could do it.

This Trade is not for dummy's. If you have a brain and can use it with Drive you might be able to keep up with them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.