Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If you carry a pistol or revolver with you on a hunt, what are your reasons for doing so.

For me, the number one reason is we hunt from horses primarily and if ol' bombproof Ruby were to spook and run off causing us to part company, my rifle is in the scabbard on the saddle. The only way I can envision that happening is by a brown bear. In that case I would be happy to have a big iron on my hip.

There are lots of chores in camp that are too cumbersome to be toting a rifle - feeding horses, cutting firewood, going to the creek for water, etc. It's a lot handier than a rifle in the tent also.

Back pack trips are another story - no handgun. Those are my reasons, how about you?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
because my rifle is actually a bow..... well plus the fact that I stand by the 329 being so light and handy, I'll never take it off...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If, I were to get another permit to do so in BC, my reason would be pretty much the same, problem of carrying a rifle in certain activities. I would prefer to have a light .44Mag. with me when bedded down for the night, but, since this is illegal for backpackers and I obey the law, stupid as it is, I am not likely to do so.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I posted this on an elk hunting thread a while back. It's related to the elk hunts I've been on but pretty much sums up why I like to have a handgun with me.

I carried a S&W 629 4'' Mountain Gun loaded with Cast Performance 275 Gr. WFNPB LBT style bullets in a cross draw hip holster on both my pack in elk hunts. We did not use an outfitter, but trucked our own horses and gear to CO ourselves. I didn't actually hunt with the revolver on, but wore it on the pack in, pack out, and anytime we went anywhere on horseback. When hunting on foot out of camp, I left it in camp and only carried my rifle because like everyone here has said, every ounce makes a difference when you're on foot at 10,000 feet.

There were several reasons I carried it:

1. Wrecks with horses, while rare, do happen and I'd rather shoot one than be dragged by one.

2. Horses sometimes decide to leave the country with your rifle in the scabbard and rifles sometimes break. We were 9 miles from the trail head and back up rifles. If something happened to my rifle, I could walk back to camp, get my pistol, and keep hunting versus a long ride back to the truck for another rifle.

3. I actually like handguns more than rifles even though most of my hunting is with rifles. I liked having it with me. I would have no qualms finishing my hunt with a handgun.

If your packing in with horses, take it if you want to. You can always leave it in camp when hunting on foot. It's cheap backup to have around and much lighter than a backup rifle. On the other hand, I wouldn't take a handgun if I were backpacking in.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A handgun on your hip is a survival tool no matter the activity. Hiking, hunting, fishing or walking downtown. I don't mind the extra weight and would rather have to carry that weight and not need it then think it is too heavy and need it. I general go bigger calibers (44, 45) when in bear country. It makes me feel more comfortable whether or not it will to the job is something else. I just feel better. Besides, if I am separated from my rifle I can bring down a better variety of game with them than something smaller. And, like you said there are chores that need to be done where a rifle would get in the way. A holstered pistol would always be available.

Not to get to long winded here (that may be to late) I mentioned before of a friend who was killed by a grizzly. He was gutting an elk and had laid his rifle away from him when the sow hit him. Now it may not have made a difference, but I would want a large caliber pistol on my hip for such circumstance's.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 10/19/07.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gotta agree with justahunter there. It's just a tool as with carrying a lighter or matches to make a fire. Or having a knife on your belt also. Just a tool that is comforting to have around. On the other thread, I get the sense that most are of the opinion that folks don't know how to handle handguns, is that another anti bias there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having seen light and hot handguns dropped overboard due to recoil when shot (not intentionally) and other incredible acts of nonmarksmanship with handguns I think there are many that should stay away from big handguns.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 475Guy
Gotta agree with justahunter there. It's just a tool as with carrying a lighter or matches to make a fire. Or having a knife on your belt also. Just a tool that is comforting to have around. On the other thread, I get the sense that most are of the opinion that folks don't know how to handle handguns, is that another anti bias there.

I'm here to tell you most folks don't shoot a handgun well, except in the movies!

I agree with your assessment about the handgun being a survival tool. Therefore I recommend the outdoorsman (especially one who doesn't have much experience in powerful big-bore handguns) take a handgun they are familiar with, can shoot well, and are not afraid of. If that's a 9mm, so be it. Bears aren't the only thing you may need a gun for. If you can shoot the big bores then take it.

The chance of a handgun one shot stop/kill on a big bear is pretty slim. You're going to have to shoot it more than once. Be prepared to do that and practice it. It's your a** on the line.

Jim

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only take mine hunting to hang next to the cot while i'm sleeping, I wear it when i'm outside doing camp chores and when i'm making a return trip to get meat.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by mcknight77

I'm here to tell you most folks don't shoot a handgun well, except in the movies!

I'm here to tell you most folks don't shoot a RIFLE well except in the movies and on the internet.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by kutenay
If, I were to get another permit to do so in BC, my reason would be pretty much the same, problem of carrying a rifle in certain activities. I would prefer to have a light .44Mag. with me when bedded down for the night, but, since this is illegal for backpackers and I obey the law, stupid as it is, I am not likely to do so.

Would one of the 16" barreled Trapper 44/454/480 carbines from Marlin and Rossi be legal?? Nearly as handy as a pistol.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grimel, I agree with you. I am the worst shot on the Campfire ! My rifles don't group into less than half an inch and I can't afford to go to Africa either !

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do pack a Ruger SRH 480 at times when a rifle isn't practical to carry. Seldom do I carry a handgun and a rifle. Oh, I generally can shoot it wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having seen 458Lott shoot a big wheelgun better than many shoot rifles I would suggest he has a clue...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rolly,

Don't feel too bad... at least you have your $1500 binoculars, a few $1000 scopes and a safe full of rifles with $400 stocks like the rest of us, right?

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I've seen me shoot and pretty sure I'm not of Paul's caliber. That said, at bear-charge-revolver-range, I won't mind the weight and it won't be inconvenient to have!

It's always on my side, especially at times I'd likely set a rifle aside. It's what works for me.

if the family is just out for a day hike, I have either a rifle or 20" barrelled 12 ga. with 1-3/8 oz. Brennekes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always a good thing to have a witness when you have a good day at the range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Having seen light and hot handguns dropped overboard due to recoil when shot (not intentionally) and other incredible acts of nonmarksmanship with handguns I think there are many that should stay away from big handguns.

True...of lots of stuff...

There are people who ought to stay away from whiskey, too grin. Or keyboards whistle...

I carry a sidearm because I like it...and I get to. End of story.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muledeer

I carry a sidearm because I like it...and I get to. End of story.

DN

You and me both, buddy. When afield, it's generally a Ruger SB .44, or a FA .475 Linebaugh. At the minimum, I nearly always have a J-frame somewhere on my person. Just because.

Jeff

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
A handgun on your hip is a survival tool no matter the activity. Hiking, hunting, fishing or walking downtown. I don't mind the extra weight and would rather have to carry that weight and not need it then think it is too heavy and need it. I general go bigger calibers (44, 45) when in bear country. It makes me feel more comfortable whether or not it will to the job is something else. I just feel better. Besides, if I am separated from my rifle I can bring down a better variety of game with them than something smaller. And, like you said there are chores that need to be done where a rifle would get in the way. A holstered pistol would always be available.

Not to get to long winded here (that may be to late) I mentioned before of a friend who was killed by a grizzly. He was gutting an elk and had laid his rifle away from him when the sow hit him. Now it may not have made a difference, but I would want a large caliber pistol on my hip for such circumstance's.

Is that the same guy that the show "Dangerous Game" put a dedication to on a recent episode when they were hunting Grizzly?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, akpls, 11 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,938
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.