Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I recently traded for a well used Blackhawk .357 that needed a thorough cleaning. I disassembled it, cleaned and lightly oiled everything. Once back together it appeared I had done something wrong in the reassembly. Finding nothing wrong I continue to have the same problem. The cylinder will not rotate, the hammer comes back maybe 1/3 of the way to being cocked & stops. If I pull the trigger lightly and turn the cylinder it will sometimes cycle correctly (for lack of a better description).
I am not at all new to the Blackhawk, I have gone over everything numerous times but cannot find the problem. Nothing is broken or severely worn and the gun cycled fine before this. I am missing something but I'm stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one that would do that when the base pin wasn’t seated completely and the transfer bar would get caught under the firing pin.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New models have a cam on the bottom of the loading gate which rides a flat spring. It works in concert with the cylinder Bolt to free the cylinder when the loading gate is opened. If those parts are not aligned perfectly on reassembly they can cause you all kinds of hell. If I recall correctly, you shouldn't be able to see any part of the spring when the loading gate is open.

I believe there's a separate, spring loaded pin on the back of the cylinder pin which should keep the transfer bar pushed back far enough for it to clear the firing pin. If that is binding it will cause problems similar to what you described

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/30/22.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I had one that would do that when the base pin wasn’t seated completely and the transfer bar would get caught under the firing pin.

I have a New Model BH in 45 Colt that when fired with mid-upper range loads would cause the base pin to back out slightly and it would cause the cylinder to lock up. With yours doing something similar after dis/reassembly just make sure it is fully seated.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
The cylinder pin is working correctly & does not appear to be the problem. I am able to cycle the action with the cylinder removed but not when it's in place. That made me think it was the cylinder pin (pin on the end of it) but it does move the transfer bar like it's supposed to.
The loading gate spring appears to be in correctly comparing it to another Blackhawk and the gate opens and closes normally.
My only thought now is to see if my Super Blackhawk has the same spring & cylinder bolt and try them in the NM Blackkhawk.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does pointing it at the floor or ceiling change anything?

If it's the transfer bar, it might work pointed up but not down.

There is a spring loaded rod that is in the hammer.
Forget it's purpose. I've seen that stick and tie up a gun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's still giving ya' fits, I'd ask here too.

https://www.rugerforum.com/forums/ruger-smithing.12/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have guessed the base pin/transfer bar getting stuck on the firing pin. If you have ruled that out, perhaps take it apart and put it back together again with some help from one of the Ruger videos.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Yes, it is still giving me fits. I have been searching the other forums but have not posted anywhere else yet. I have confirmed several times that everything is back together correctly. Rugers video & others.
This morning I swapped out the loading gate spring and the cylinder bolt with those from another gun. That doesn't make any difference either.
I compared the pin(s) on the bottom of the hammer, they both seem fine.
Still puzzled but not ready to give up

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was fitting a replacement pawl and it was too long and would cause a condition like you describe. I don’t imagine that’s it as you are using the pawl that previously worked fine.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Mystery Solved
After numerous assemble/disassemble and parts swapping from a tight fitting SBH I found that the replacement transfer bar helped a little, the cylinder rotated on 2-3 turns but locked up on the rest. Then I put in the other pawl and it worked correctly again.
Looking at the parts there does not seem to be enough wear to cause any problems but apparently there is just enough overall that it doesn't want to cycle anymore.
Maybe I cleaned away enough grime to open things up enough to cause the problem? Who knows, it appears to be a first year new model so it's been around a while. I'll order some new parts & hopefully that puts her back in service. Might as well upgrade a few other internal parts while I'm at it.
If nothing else I gained two very clean old revolvers & I'm pretty well refreshed on the inner workings and assembly of the Ruger BH.
Thanks again for the suggestions, Jim

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There is a spring loaded rod that is in the hammer.
Forget it's purpose. I've seen that stick and tie up a gun.

Would have been my guess. I bought a NIB blued super blackhawk years ago which apparently hadn't been adequately cleaned of bluing solution before assembly and shipping. That spring loaded rod and/or the hole it sits in were full of salt/crystaline corrosion. I tapped out the cross pin, cleaned things thoroughly, oiled, and reassembled. Problem solved.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TOM, have seen it several times,most on new guns.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It sounds exactly like the issue I have with a Wrangler, it locks up tighter than a tick. I haven't even tried to take it apart, I don't care enough about the poor-shooting POS to bother.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.