Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by ldholton
One thing about unhappiness or maybe a little severe than that depression. A lot of people that suffer from depression other people seeing is very happy and carefree great examples are Robin Williams and Owen Wilson both suicide victims.

I agree. Although Owen Wilson is still upright.
You had me curious I might be mistaken you are correct he is still alive 2007 was a suicide attempt. I was remembering as he was successful to put it rudely. Glad he's still alive and got help

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ldholton
One thing about unhappiness or maybe a little severe than that depression. A lot of people that suffer from depression other people seeing is very happy and carefree great examples are Robin Williams and Owen Wilson both suicide victims.
Owen Wilson ain't dead.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by geedubya
Happiness is subject to the changes and chances of life (vicissitudes).

Joy on the other hand......

https://www.blogos.org/exploringtheword/GG-makarios-blessed.php

The phrase "count it all joy" comes from the King James Version of James 1:2 (also ESV, NKJV). Other translations have "Consider it pure joy" (NIV), "Consider it all joy" (NASB), and "consider it an opportunity for great joy" (NLT). The broader context is this: "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2–4).

https://www.compellingtruth.org/count-it-all-joy.html

ya!

GWB

Right on GW. Good stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I bet I would be much happier if I turned off the news.

You would be I know I am we turned the Tv off several months ago. Not sure when I will turn it back on.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have my ups and downs but ok with me. I am not happy with the direction this country is headed screwed up people in this country.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ill be 76 this month. Wife and I are both retired and healthy. Life is good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be happier if that 27 year old bartender at the local watering hole started putting out once in a while. smile

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
55, divorced, kiddos all growed up, ok job, no debt.
Live alone in the woods with my horses and dog.
Life is good and I'm happy AF.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hookset: I am over the moon happy with my life!
I have been retired now for 24 1/2 years and live in a low tax, low stress, friendly people populated state (Montana) with absolutely UNLIMITED recreational opportunities right out my back door.
My home has long been paid for my 6 vehicles are all paid for and, like you, my earlier in life frugality is really paying off now.
My health is excellent for my age and other than a Rattlesnake bite, a bout of Kidney Stones and a new artificial knee 3 years ago I have steered clear of the Doctors.
Dittos for never having to deal with a lawyer of any kind, for any reason, for the last 24 1/2 years!
I have four young adult children who all now have productive lives and good jobs all with health care!
I have also been blessed with two VarmintGrandChildren (a boy and a girl) - and my VarmintGrandDaughter is doing really well in college.
I wake up each morning and often, literally, count my blessings - #1 of which is my 50 year relationship/marriage with the VarmintWife.
And on that point I wish to send my condolences to you on the loss of your wife a couple years back.
Life is incredibly good for me - beyond ANY expectations I ever had!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m happier than I deserve to be.

Got a better wife than I deserve.

Better health than I deserve.

More money than I deserve.

Better kids than I deserve.

I got it made and I know it.

I give thanks to God every day.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was reading that other thread also and it got me to thinking....

At 58. I don't owe any one any money.... no kids to support... no ex-wife to haunt me... I live in a quaint little ranch house that no woman ever wanted to move into... I keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer.... cupboards are full... house is clean (enough for a man and his dog) 2 1/2 car garage with a new fishing boat in it.... a nice pick-up and a little car for fetching grocery's.. one trip out west every year for deer or elk... Some years I have gone twice...

Instead of dumping money in a 401k I bought land... I have 80 acers that I get taxed to death on... and I still have a fair amount in a 401K and IRA for safety sakes... My net worth is just under $450k and I still have 10 years to work yet. I should get it to double in the next 10 years.

My health is excellent well, maybe about 20lbs over weight... but manageable... I have a young bird hunting dog that requires me to walk him every day and some days twice...

My job is 3 days a week, 16 hour days each, then I am done for the week.

My life is PERFICT !

I am kicking around ideas on making out my last will and testament. Who do I leave this all to ?? I don't have any family members that I want to leave it to... I was thinking of leaving all my large assets to American Prairie Reserve or Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation... not sure.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m 62. Retired from a 33 year LEO career in 2018. I’m busier now than when I was Police Officer. Between church volunteering, and working 2 days a week driving organ transplant surgeons around the state, I’m busy a lot. I’m a happy man. Love my wife of 41 years. Grandkids are awesome. The Lord has been good to me.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mikieb
I was reading that other thread also and it got me to thinking....

At 58. I don't owe any one any money.... no kids to support... no ex-wife to haunt me... I live in a quaint little ranch house that no woman ever wanted to move into... I keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer.... cupboards are full... house is clean (enough for a man and his dog) 2 1/2 car garage with a new fishing boat in it.... a nice pick-up and a little car for fetching grocery's.. one trip out west every year for deer or elk... Some years I have gone twice...

Instead of dumping money in a 401k I bought land... I have 80 acers that I get taxed to death on... and I still have a fair amount in a 401K and IRA for safety sakes... My net worth is just under $450k and I still have 10 years to work yet. I should get it to double in the next 10 years.

My health is excellent well, maybe about 20lbs over weight... but manageable... I have a young bird hunting dog that requires me to walk him every day and some days twice...

My job is 3 days a week, 16 hour days each, then I am done for the week.

My life is PERFICT !

I am kicking around ideas on making out my last will and testament. Who do I leave this all to ?? I don't have any family members that I want to leave it to... I was thinking of leaving all my large assets to American Prairie Reserve or Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation... not sure.

Leave it to me.

I’d appreciate it more.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Haven’t had this much fun since the hogs ate my baby brother!
I lol'd out loud.

Happy here. Even when I'm pissed off. We only have one turn on this merry-go-round of life, chase your happiness.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Happy with where I am?

If things were any better I’d think it was a set up.
Life is good.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 07/31/22.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ive never been happy ,don't know what that even means. I'm happy? GTFO of here retards. Nobody is happy. Being miserable is part of the human condition.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hookset
I saw another thread that got me thinking about it. Those of us over 50 or so, how many of us are happy? For myself, I'm probably happier than I've been in a very long time. I went through some tough times over the last decade or so with my wife's cancer and I lost her after 28 years of marriage two years ago.
But my kids and grandkids are doing well and I get to spend time with them often, I have a few really good friends, a decent job and a good life. I have a new woman in my life who is absolutely amazing and I'm in pretty good health for 54 years old. I retired from the military and have made relatively responsible financial decisions over the years, so I'm pretty secure and should have a pretty comfortable retirement. Not rich, but I'm doing okay. I have a couple of really good dogs that I enjoy training and competing with in retriever hunt tests and field trials. I have a few nice guns that I don't shoot nearly often enough. I live in a place with great fishing that I should take advantage of more often.
I'm thankful for where I am in life.
I hope this doesn't come off as "look at me. My life is great!" That's not the point at all. Of course, I have my struggles and challenges just like everyone else. I'm just curious if most of us here are generally happy with our lives and our choices or if I'm an exception.

Translation:

"Are you happy? Because I'm doing great!"

LOL

I'll send you a D-Bag hat for Christmas.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pal
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

Downs Syndrome is an amazing thing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.