Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Recently became the owner of 2 44 magnum pistols. One is a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk and the other is a Smith and Wesson 629 Performance Center hunter model. I would like to shoot them more and get better accustomed/comfortable using them. I am not a very good pistol shot as I have not shot pistols very much. I am also new to reloading pistols but have been loading rifles for years.

I am interested in a lighter recoiling load. What I have is 200 Hornady 240gr XTP's and 500 various head stamped brass. The powders I currently have are W296, Lil Gun, 300 MP, and I believe that is all but willing to get whatever I need.

I am having trouble finding pistol primers and heard that possibly Large Rifle primers could be used?

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to beat 8 to 9 grains of Unique with a 240 gr Keith style semi-wadcutter for a plinking load.

For hunting, I use a 250 gr LBT WFN hard cast bullet with 10 grains of Unique.
Works great on feral hogs and deer here at the Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IME the worst thing you can do is shoot full power loads all the time when you first start shooting a 44 mag. A 200gr-220gr lead bullet and a load that will give you 900fps-100fps will be a good load to practice with.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Don't have any lead bullets but do have the XTP's. Can you substitute the load data for lead with Jacketed bullets?

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
9.0 grs of unique and a 240 gr keith is pretty well know and fun to practice with!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
17-18 gn of 2400 under a lead 240 gn semi-wadcutter.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Don't have any lead bullets but do have the XTP's. Can you substitute the load data for lead with Jacketed bullets?

HeavyBarrel

Be certain. Check your loading manuals.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My reloading manual does not show any reduced loads.

Any opinions on using Large Rifle primers in the 44 Mag? I can't find Large Pistol anywhere but do have a stash of Large Rifle.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Large rifle primers won’t work, the cups are a different height than large pistol primers.

I don’t load anything but the above mentioned 10gr Unique under a Keith bullet anymore. But I have in the past and one of my notes in my load book is for the old Hornady 240 JHP over 9gr of Unique. I believe an older Hornady manual I have showed that load. I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t be fine under the XTP. PowerPistol is another good powder that is similar to Unique you might keep an eye out for when shopping.

The 9-10gr Unique load isn’t really a reduced load, more like a mid range load that will give between 1100-1200fps depending on barrel length but it is much easier to shoot with the reduced blast and recoil plus no giant fireball that some factory loads produce. I have shot through a 6 foot black bear diagonally with the 9gr load and pigs up to 300lbs with both the 9 and 10gr load, some of them lengthwise, I’ve never caught a bullet. To my way of thinking it’s really all that’s needed.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks. I have read different opinions on the primer situation. Would love to find the Large pistol primers but all local stores say they have not seen any in 2 years? The brass I will use for the reduced loads will only be used for such so would using a Large Rifle primer pocket reamer be okay to seat the Large Rifle Primers a little deeper?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My .44 Magnum load for many years has been 7.5gr. of Unique and a 200gr. RNFP cast bullet. If you want to step it up some 9.0gr. Unique is also a good load.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The loads and bullets for 44 Russian data work very well.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Think .44-40.

Look at reliable data from the powder or bullet companies, I start with Hodgdon and Alliant.

The 3 powders you have are for full power loads, trying to reduce them will result in erratic pressures. Find Universal, Power Pistol, Unique or any of a dozen other medium burn rate powders. People all have their favorites, but there are many useful ones.

Then pick up some plated or coated bullets of about 200 grains, load them to 800 - 1000 fps. You can use the XTPs, but it seems like a waste and by slowing down heavy bullets you can run out of sight adjustment.

Mid-range loads of this sort will cause much less wear and tear on you pistol and on you. They will accomplish 99% of everything you need to do and allow you to practice for the times you use the full power XTPs.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To use large rifle primers you would have to deepen the pockets 10-11 thou. I wouldn’t do it.

Swifty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Primer specs...

SR & SP are the same size.....cup thickness are different

Been subbing SR primers in my 9mm & 45 ACP

https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Recently became the owner of 2 44 magnum pistols. One is a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk and the other is a Smith and Wesson 629 Performance Center hunter model. I would like to shoot them more and get better accustomed/comfortable using them. I am not a very good pistol shot as I have not shot pistols very much. I am also new to reloading pistols but have been loading rifles for years.

I am interested in a lighter recoiling load. What I have is 200 Hornady 240gr XTP's and 500 various head stamped brass. The powders I currently have are W296, Lil Gun, 300 MP, and I believe that is all but willing to get whatever I need.

I am having trouble finding pistol primers and heard that possibly Large Rifle primers could be used?

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

Look around for some Trailboss 4-6 grs is a fun load with any bullet

You'll never double charge a case either

LP & LR primers can't/shouldn't be sub'd for one another

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Large rifle primers will work, but be aware that they will not seat flush. You'll have to seat a couple in empty cases to make sure they won't bind your pistols.

6.5gr of any fast pistol powder (Titegroup, Clays, Bullseye, etc.) will give you about 950fps from a 4" barrel with the 200gr XTPs. Will not be position sensitive and you should find the recoil mild.

WLR mag primer height = .128"
CCI350 mag pistol primer height =.119"

Works in my revolver, but you need to test yours. Also, different primer vendors can have slightly different heights as well as different pocket depths for different brass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by dla; 08/01/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You're playing with fire to use LR primers in revolvers, you can get a slam fire against the recoil shield & that's not a good thing! Better to wait & find some LP primers & play it safe than damage your gun or your hand, your call.
I've taken many deer with 10.0 grs of Unique with the Keith 250 gr bullet, or you can deep seat it over the top driving band & drop to 7.5grs of Unique & get about the same velocity in a magnum case. It won't be exact but close, a deer won't know the difference.
If you look around you might find someone who will trade you 100 LP primers for 100 of something you have on hand, it's worth a try until things loosen up a bit, good luck.

Dick

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
9.0 grains of Unique beneath my home cast 218 SWC…….very accurate and very pleasant to shoot! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No buddy burns Trailboss ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.