Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bilwil Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just got out my best 99G. The guy I got it from said that it was unfired. With a grain of salt, it does look like new. It also came with original box. I was wiping it down and after all these years I noticed the forearm was not straight back like other G's that I have had. Is this an unusual shaped forearm? Also the stamp on the boss, a Q or A, nothing to do with the date? Ser. number 3796xx.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never seen a G forearm that looked like that. Is there a serial number stamped on it?

Stamp on boss has nothing to do with when it was manufactured.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
bilwil Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I should have taken a picture of the inside of the forearm. Numbers match.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve got to think it was altered afterwards. Never say never, but also Occam’s Razor. Simplest answer is usually the right one.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I'd say a previous owner cut it down too. The odds are just in favor of that conclusion.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No offense intended, but when I hear a seller say "the gun is unfired", I see a red flag. Obviously the gun is test fired at the factory during Q&A. Beyond that... who knows.
Since the rifle is in good condition with the original box, sounds like a well cared for rifle.
Doubtful a factory letter would mention "custom forearm wood".

A wild guess may be the forearm had a crack or piece missing and a previous owner just took the sides down to eliminate the problem and made the sides look even. JMO

"Every day above ground is a good day."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A factory one off? I’d bet heavily against it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
bilwil Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Sent for a letter from Cody to see if the fore arm would be mentioned.

Just got my money back with no explanation.

Called and was told that the ledger was blank on this rifle. So it is still a mystery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage stopped logging info in the 371xxx range. Nice they sent your money back. They should have noted why.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
Savage stopped logging info in the 371xxx range. Nice they sent your money back. They should have noted why.

Callahan never sent money back! smile He also didn't charge nearly as much and sent a letter explaining that the ledger did not exist for that serial, etc.

Last edited by lovemy99; 08/29/22.

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe you are referring to "Callahan"? smile

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Provenance aside, I wonder if this isn't a repair, done after the dreaded takedown splits occurred under a clumsy hand? It's a good repair though..

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffG
Provenance aside, I wonder if this isn't a repair, done after the dreaded takedown splits occurred under a clumsy hand? It's a good repair though..

Could be. My observations of pre vs post war schnable forearms are that there is substantilly more wood in the later guns. I suspect Savage did that intentionally as a way of eliminating the splits you see in prewar forearms. Likewise, post war buttstcks have a visible hump, or hunch back, of wood behind the upper tang that you don't see on prewar guns (that is at least for the EG). I suspect Savage left that area slightly beefed up as a way of reducing tang cracks.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by JeffG

Could be. My observations of pre vs post war schnable forearms are that there is substantilly more wood in the later guns. I suspect Savage did that intentionally as a way of eliminating the splits you see in prewar forearms. Likewise, post war buttstcks have a visible hump, or hunch back, of wood behind the upper tang that you don't see on prewar guns (that is at least for the EG). I suspect Savage left that area slightly beefed up as a way of reducing tang cracks.

Jeff is referring to what happens when you have a tight T/D barrel (or someone forgets to open the action) and uses the boss in the forearm to attempt to removal the barrel... if you hare not keeping very tight engagement, its fairly easy for the T/D hook to slip out of the boss and then smack the edge of the forearm and is goes zinging past. I would tend to agree with his speculation as to what was likely cause of damage and to that this is a repaired forearm... albeit, exceptionally well done.

And yes, post war stocks were much more robust than prewar.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
I believe you are referring to "Callahan"? smile

Haha, him too!

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can work out a very good price plan for this.. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I can work out a very good price plan for this.. grin
pretty lucrative deal when you get to send the same letter back to every person... "I regret to inform you that your serial number is not listed in the Savage ledgers"

HAHA

Andrew
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the good old days Randy sent for two letters on the 1919 I now have. The butt number is off from the receiver. The receiver letter came back with the normal data, the butt # came back, “no rifle with that number left the factory”. Insinuating the butt was installed at the factory.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Back in the good old days Randy sent for two letters on the 1919 I now have. The butt number is off from the receiver. The receiver letter came back with the normal data, the butt # came back, “no rifle with that number left the factory”. Insinuating the butt was installed at the factory.

Thats very cool!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Thats very cool!

True story. And a beautiful gun.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.