Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So many foods of my youth. My mother was a very good cook and my grandmother was even better. I think, however, when I think of a food I really miss, and have not had since my grandmother was killed in a fire accident many years ago, was her freshly fried peach pies. Rolled out her own dough, put in a spice or two, some brown sugar with the peaches, folded the top over, crimped the edges with a fork, dropped them into her ancient cast iron skillet with some hot lard and .... to kill for!!

I do miss those fried peach pies. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Grandmother's fried apple pies and tea cakes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MAC
My mother did the fried squash and she also did fried green tomatoes. We always had a big garden when I was growing up as well as a flock of chickens and a couple cows and pigs we butchered in the fall. Food just tastes better when you raise it yourself.

Yep. Never had fried chicken anywhere near as good, as when my Grandmother would kill a couple and fry them up in her big ole iron skillet.

My grandmother's fried chicken has never been duplicated. I even have her Wagner skillet, circa 1890-1920 and I can't make it do what she did.

Agreed. I’ve got both my grandmother’s and my great grandmother’s iron skillets. Still can’t cook it as good as they did. 😢

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fresh goose berries, straight from the bush. We'd go out and pick a big bowl full and go sit in front of the TV and eat and watch "Bonanza", dubbed in German......

Hate to say it, but my mother wasn't much of a cook. Her home made sauerkraut was pretty memorable, though.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
So many foods of my youth. My mother was a very good cook and my grandmother was even better. I think, however, when I think of a food I really miss, and have not had since my grandmother was killed in a fire accident many years ago, was her freshly fried peach pies. Rolled out her own dough, put in a spice or two, some brown sugar with the peaches, folded the top over, crimped the edges with a fork, dropped them into her ancient cast iron skillet with some hot lard and .... to kill for!!

I do miss those fried peach pies. smile

L.W.

Yep. Those were unbelievably good ! And the peach ones were my favorite. As were my grandmother’s homemade peach preserves. Fresh from her peach trees.
Not to mention peach cobbler. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Fresh hot lard cracklin'!
Yes and crackling gravy over biscuits

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fried pork brains and eggs

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My Mom used to make what we called blackberry dumplings. From what I remember, she’d take a large stock pot, fill about half way with wild blackberries that we’d pick, add some sugar and simmer down into kind of a runny consistency “jelly”. Then she’d roll out her pie crust dough real thin, cut into small strips, and drop into the simmering berries. Cook down for a while.
Tasted like a whole bowl full of the bottom crust of a really good cobbler. Warm, with or without vanilla ice cream added, unbelievable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Space Dust and Pop Rocks

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
In addition to all the good grandma food everyone is mentioning:

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grand dad was a cheap ass

Instead of ice cream, he got that Ice Milk bullshiiet. $2 for a drum.

Crunchy crap with a near sour milk taste.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My grandmother used to make chicken in a deep frying pan with what seemed like a pound of paprika and little tiny dumplings (when she got older she just put elbow macaroni in). We've all tried different variations of it, but no one had yet replicated it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My “step grandmother” was in her 80s before she had ever ate spaghetti. I fixed it for them. She grumbled the whole time. old Mrs Super Colon had only ever ate STEAK or fried chicken. JFC

she didn’t like it. Said she wasn’t no greazy dego wop. Ungrateful old sea hag. Fussed like a 6 year old kid.

Took her to Ponderosa once, she got a steak and about 5 bowls of chocolate puddling off of their nasty salad bar. Old can be brats. Not sure about all that greatest generation business. No sure what sacrifices she had ever made to act like that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lime Jello with fruit cocktail

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fried spam hor'dourves......pan fried corn bread cakes topped with pan grilled spam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Redeye gravy, homemade cathead biscuits with Steens pure cane ribbon syrup and ice cold fresh milk.

Red beans with big chunks of lean, pre-boiled salt meat on top of white rice covered with fresh chopped scallions.

Great grandmother’s pot of chicken and dumplings.

All of the above keeps body and soul together.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Scrapple or fried slices of corn meal mush covered with syrup for breakfast

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Grandma’s cinnamon rolls. Probably made with their own lard, farm eggs and who knows what else.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whole bluegills de-finned and headed, shaken in a paper sack with cornmeal and fried in a cast iron skillet. The fried tail was my favorite part. Funny how little kids of my generation could eat whole perch and never choke on a bone. Grandma used to take leftover mash potatoes and fry up potato paddy’s the next day.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.