Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Can buy these at Lowes for a reasonable amount. Would like to install on the gutters on our workshop.
What say ye?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’m putting Raptor gutter guards on and they look exactly like the ones you’re talking about. They seem plenty ridged, fine enough to keep out pine needles, and roof grit out. Easy to install.

With that said, can’t recommend because I don’t have the season’s behind me to say![Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought something similar off Amazon.

with a cordless drill, some self tapping screws, and some tin snips, I had my entire house done in about 90 minutes.

That was 4 years ago I think , haven't had to clean gutters since, haven't had to do any touch up maintenance either.

Wish I had done it 15 years ago.

I will say that I have never gone out in a heavy downpour to see how much water is running past it, though

Last edited by KFWA; 07/31/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought these from Amazon:
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Easy to install. I didn't like the type that are installed slanted, these install right on you gutters. I have watched closely about overruns during heavy rains, none except at valley corners. The collection of water concentrated into the valley is a lot of water. In the box of material that the guards came in was a photo of deflectors for the valleys. I made my own from some flashing I had but haven't installed them yet. So far I'm satisfied.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
4 years ago had Leaf Filters installed. Best $3500 spent ever. They really work...with no extra attention needed. I have 92 full grown pine trees (and lots of oaks} surrounding my house.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Leaf Filter here too, they do a great job. Have had them about 6 years now. In a heavy downpour, there is run over, but it's not too bad. I don't have as many trees around the house as Moses does, but the ones that we do have are Silver Maples that I wish I could go back in time and unplant! Lol! The amount of seeds they drop is incredible! When the crew was here installing them, I was instructed to clean the screens off as needed, it's a very fine screen and can get clogged with debris. For decades, I always just got up on the roof and cleaned out the gutters, that changed after my spinal surgery. These things work and I'm glad we had them installed.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These are very good on steep pitched roofs. I have a steep pitched roof. There are some trade offs between these and LeafGuards.

I had LeafGuard gutters for 20 years and they were good at keeping leaves out of the gutters. In light rains, little bits of this and that would cling to the water and go down and around and into the gutter. But in 20 years, I never had to do more than hose them out through the slit. But in heavy rains, the water flow off the roof was such that it was washing over the edge and onto the ground. Not a huge amount, but more than I ever liked.

I had the exterior of my house remodeled over the last few months since march and decided to go with the gutter guards. Little things, like those little wickers off oak trees, will sometimes lay on them. The screens are ribbed so there is minimal adhesion and as soon as they dry they blow off. The one thing I've noticed is that my gutters trap almost all the water now. We've had several gully-washer rains since I had these installed and they do a much better job of catching heavy rainwater off a steep pitched roof than the LeafGuards did.

I understand there is little to choose from between LeafGaurds and GutterGuards when you have a traditionally pitched roof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Easy to install. I didn't like the type that are installed slanted, these install right on you gutters. I have watched closely about overruns during heavy rains, none except at valley corners. The collection of water concentrated into the valley is a lot of water. In the box of material that the guards came in was a photo of deflectors for the valleys. I made my own from some flashing I had but haven't installed them yet. So far I'm satisfied.

that is what I bought too. All told about $350 to do the house (in 2018ish prices)

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I moved into my new mountain cabin 4 years ago, I contacted Leaf Filter. An appointment was made for an inspection and estimate. They never showed up (or called). Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I tried again. Same result... no call, no show. Pizz on those azzholes. I would not have them for free now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We live in ponderosa pine forest. Bushels of needles. We had Gutter Helmet installed three years ago .I have not been up on the roof since. Atv, I don't need to be up on roof ,two stories high

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Tag

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
How do they work in winter in the North? Do they ice over and cause ice dams?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have Kguards in the. back of my house , put them on 10 years ago. 2 years ago I had the screens put on new 6" gutters on the front of the house. 2 weeks ago I had to climb up and remove branches and leaves from the front of the house. I have not used a ladder in the back of the house for 10 years.

What is funny is the guy installing the screens on the front of the house was telling me how he hates K-Guards. LOL

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on where.you live, some freeze over really easy and you're left with icicles of death hanging there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bought mine at Costco. I have a long ranch style house with a breezeway connecting a two car garage, so allot of gutter footage.
I had about $350 invested in the gutter guards & had my house finished in just over a day.
I would never pay for any of the leaf guard type companies as they are such a ripoff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had gutter guards for years on my patio and the problem was that dirt will get in and after a while it caked up and plugged up, it took a long time to clean them out unless you clean them out on regular basis, so I switched back to open gutters, this way I can blow out the leaves and debris and hose them out without having to take them apart.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bobmn
How do they work in winter in the North? Do they ice over and cause ice dams?

My question also.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve put them on my house and cottage two years ago and have not seen any issues so far. Mine are the heavy corrugated type with the holes in them called Gutter RX. Leaves, pine needles and maple seeds blow right off or still drain and have not clogged the downspouts which was my main problem. In the spring oak flowers (2-3” long sticky things) at another house stick in the neighbors screen type guards, so I’m a little reluctant to put the guards on that house. Anything that is small enough to go down the holes in mine get washed out the downspouts. I did put those green downspout wedge shaped things on two other houses and they do keep the downspouts from plugging up, but they need way more cleaning that the Gutter RX. About $6.00 each is a lot cheaper than the $17.00 a 6’ section for the Gutter RX.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RShooter
Bought mine at Costco. I have a long ranch style house with a breezeway connecting a two car garage, so allot of gutter footage.
I had about $350 invested in the gutter guards & had my house finished in just over a day.
I would never pay for any of the leaf guard type companies as they are such a ripoff.

Ripoff? gutters were almost the same price as the ones I had installed a few years back. They work way better not even comparable.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, I consider their installation prices a ripoff.
Reread the thread above by Moses and with that example you can see that $3500 is alot steeper than $350.
So about $3150 for an easy days labor.
If you are the least bit coordinated, do it yourself.
JMHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.