Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can put up with your body wearing out and failed health, yea you can be happy. You got to work at it though.Retirement in your 60's is fun, after 70, not so much.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting question. I'm in my 60's and work 100 hrs a week, lately in a chill factor of 110°. Then I mow grass, maintain equipment and house, deer lease and "life" stuff when I'm "off".

Am I happy? I look around at the lazy ass people my age growing into their easy chairs, barely able to walk to the refrigerator or the pharmacy.

Hell yeah I'm happy.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by pal
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

Downs Syndrome is an amazing thing.

Guess this means you're a very unhappy man.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

Hehehe. Winner winner chicken dinner.....

GOD bless you, Pal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Freaking A im overjoyed im not 18 with a square dick a tom cat couldnt scratch again. Sheesh. shocked

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Where?

Oh yes. Hollywood and Whore Houses.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/31/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Without expounding, at 77, plugg no!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

GOD bless you, Pal.
Deflave is the closest thing to happy I've ever seen.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes,

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

How do you lose your home and shop at 78? Asking only because I’d like to not find myself in that position in 28 years. Please tell me it wasn’t because you bought a beach house at 50 and drank to excess?

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

How do you lose your home and shop at 78? Asking only because I’d like to not find myself in that position in 28 years. Please tell me it wasn’t because you bought a beach house at 50 and drank to excess?

Been renting the same place over 40 years (shop space with a yard for my travel trailer). Because of extraordinary property value increases in this area my landlady decided she will turn it into a luxury apartment.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely, aside from a little heart trouble things are beautiful. I lost a very unhappy wife in '86 and she turned our 2 year old son over to me. I remarried a pediatric nurse RN-NP that loves kids and wants everybody around her to be happy. The most selfless saint I know. She took my son as her own and produced two daughters in short order. We acquired over 300 acres of land and live in the old board and batten house that my first wife abandoned. Everything is paid for and there is money left over to help folks with after stashing a little. We don't drive fancy vehicles but they are plenty good. I retired 11 years ago and keep a few cows and get by with a 42 year old 5600 Ford tractor and a few implements. The kids got good educations, a teacher, an RN, a lawyer so they can make it. We have friends and family and a good church group that's not too hard on me for rejecting Paul's alleged writings and our Baptist church goes lightly on condemning light alcohol use for the most part.

I know I've got limited time left but so does everybody so I can't complain. I am just very grateful for the good luck and good breaks I've had. And even though I'm trying to find forgiveness for my father giving me some brutal beatings and not explaining why he did one time give me some wonderful advice I took to heart. He told me "if you can keep from having money trouble you'll have a whole lot less other trouble". I have since come to conclude he had PTSD from being on USN ships from the beginning of the Jap war and further being a officer aboard a battleship at Surigao Strait where the Jap fleet was sunk. I found out from a U.S. Marine relative aboard the Denver that the swimming 1000s of Jap sailors were strafed with machine gun fire until none were left. He also divorced his unfaithful wife after the war and married my mother 15 years younger than him. Probably didn't think that one through. Old man and 4 young kids could be taxing on the nerves. He died in 1978 a very unhappy man dealing with my suddenly assertive mother and my at the time 16 year old sister really born into his old age.

So, absolutely I'm happy, most people have it much worse.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

GOD bless you, Pal.
Deflave is the closest thing to happy I've ever seen.

Not me. I used to check the eyes every six months or year of the guys and gals who were brain damaged as kids residing in the Mariah Flats state home. They hadn't a bad bone in their body and ever knew the audacity or effrontery that resides in Travis' personality.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/31/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Been renting the same place over 40 years (shop space with a yard for my travel trailer). Because of extraordinary property value increases in this area my landlady decided she will turn it into a luxury apartment.
Renting is a good way to end up out of business at an inopportune time. I don't know how many herd dispersals I've seen on account of rented pastures forcing the sale.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Got decent health, great wife of 50 years last month, 2 houses, more hunting implements than I can use, enough retirement income that I don’t have to worry about how much I spend (I watch my spending though), good hunt club in Alabama, great elk hunting ranch of friend of mine in Colorado, and good hunting buds. What else is there? Happy Trails!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To paraphrase Charles' Darwin. It ain't about being strong or smart...it's about being able to adapt.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I owned a big boat
two houses
some nice cars
have lots of investment
hunting
shooting
eating right
No health issues. (Nothing major)

have a loving wife. this list goes on.... I am blessed and have so many reasons to be happy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Life is about meeting one’s responsibilities to those around us, do that and you’ll be content.

Happiness comes and goes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Life is about meeting one’s responsibilities to those around us, do that and you’ll be content.

Happiness comes and goes.
Content is a better word. Happy is for dumbschits.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257robertsimp, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,144
Posts18,523,316
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.