Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Asking for some relatives. What kind of financing is available for something like that?

Thank you in advance!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Prices are near record highs.

Look very, very carefully at the renter’s rights laws in the appropriate jurisdiction.

I wouldn’t want to be a landlord at this time.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Don't rent to any kind of lawman.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife and I had rentals for 30 years, one of the happiest days of my life when we closed the sale of the last one. IMHO, there is NO good time to be buying a rental.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two rental properties. They are wrecking me.

Good renters are about 10% of the renters.

I'm in the eviction process now and will have to do a complete exterior and interior remodel and then will sell. The place is completely trashed.

One year from now, I aim to be out of the investment property business.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's a real estate correction coming, but where I'm looking it's only started. Waiting for some deep reductions.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your frank comments. TimberRunner, I agree with you as far as the whole housing market is concerned, but the prices on good property are going up almost 1% a month. The house next door to us sold at the same time we bought this house, seven years ago. The folks who lived there moved to Texas in July and sold that house before it was listed for 220% of what they paid for it. If there is a correction coming it will be a big one…

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Are ya ready ta be your own electrician, plumber, roofer, and a/c tech, all in the middle of the night?

Whilst you're bein a lawyer durin the day, throwin families out inta the cold just because they couldn't pay the rent?

Are ya gonna throw people out, just cause they just missed one month rent?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We bought a 4 bedroom house this past May and are renting to my sister in law and her two kids.

She's a good person and I have zero worries about her not paying rent. The only reason we bought it is we have a fair amount of extra income(relatively speaking...) and needed to put some money into something. And the house she was renting from my parents was only a two bedroom. My mom and grandma have 10 rentals so I know all about the random chit that goes on.

It's sort of a piggy bank, it is NOT a money making deal as we are giving her a sweet deal on rent. It basically keeps me from spending money like an idiot...lol

And in our little town prices never really got crazy, sure we overpaid a little but we have an awesome location and I'm not worried about future resale.

It was $190k and we put 60k down.

That said, no way I would have been buying pretty much anywhere else in the state, things are cheap out here...lol

We have a 20 year loan at 5.25%, fixed for the first 10, variable for the last 10. Plan is to pay it off in 5-10 years so not concerned about getting hosed by the bank.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Wife and I rented a couple of houses we had; not "rentals" per se, we didn't get them to rent, they were just extra houses we had so we rented them out long term to the right people. It all worked out well for us, but it was a temporary thing. We came out ahead both times, but a taste was enough. I would not want to be in the landlord business long term.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bad renters are usually due to bad landlords.
Due diligence, check references etc. Routine scheduled maintenance visits (“change the filters”) to keep an eye on your investment. Wife makes the rounds to collect rents on a set day every month. Stops all the “I mailed it” bullscheit excuses. We’ve had to evict one time in 15 years.

Best decision we ever made was buying/owning rentals. Passive income and an appreciating asset that someone else is paying for, for you.
Run it like a business (because it is) don’t get personally involved or attached with renters, NEVER rent to family or friends.

Last week I checked on financing for a duplex that was a reasonable deal. The interest rate on a commercial loan, 20year amortization, was cheaper than a 30yr FHA loan. Crazy times.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm planning on buying/building some multi family as prices come down. Yes, they are going to come down. Building will get cheap and that will put pressure on existing homes prices. Lumber has already pulled back, but everything else is still higher than Willie Nelson.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Last week I checked on financing for a duplex that was a reasonable deal. The interest rate on a commercial loan, 20year amortization, was cheaper than a 30yr FHA loan. Crazy times.

What was the rate?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I'm planning on buying/building some multi family as prices come down. Yes, they are going to come down. Building will get cheap and that will put pressure on existing homes prices. Lumber has already pulled back, but everything else is still higher than Willie Nelson.
Lumber has pulled back but other materials have not. I hope they follow .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson

What was the rate?
Originally Posted by SamOlson

What was the rate?

5.1% and at that time a 30yr was close to 6%

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, that's right in with the deal we got.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd advise they wait a year, or two, and see what happens.

Interest rates have a big effect on real estate values, but real estate takes time to find the new equilibrium.

Figure the real estate bottom will be 2 years after the stock market bottom. Don't know if stocks have bottomed, but I'd guess not.

Everyone has an opinion, that is mine. dvnv

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Locally there is money to made on bare property. Even though housing is tough and rentals are doing well, I'll never do the rental deal. Were around a lot of renters during our early poor years and saw very few that I'd want as customers.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d remember one thing listening to advice on the internet from randomly placed strangers, every AO is different. Lots of factors that impact the housing market, it’s not like the stock market, commodity or bond markets etc. which exist with no regard to geographical location.
A rural, desirable area close to an urban hub with low inventory can’t be compared to thar same urban hub people are fleeing or the locales that have seen property values triple during the pandemic. There are isolated bubbles that WILL burst, but many more places that won’t and will at the worst plateau and at best still appreciate at a more reasonable level.

Wife and I are invested in the stock market only for tax benefits and the fact she worked for a company that offered 2:1 match up to 7% in a 401k for years.

If it weren’t out of necessity, I’d have put every dime into real estate without hesitation.
My uncle who was as close to a mentor as I ever had always told me stocks were nothing but a piece of paper, buy land. Even if it crashes in value, you can still take a piss or plant a potatoe on it.

Last edited by jackmountain; 08/03/22.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck. I was a landlord for a couple of years. Never again and no amount of money is worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.