Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[quote

Prefer a hasty sling for rabbits, ducks, hogs, and deer.

GR[/quote]

What kind of Super Fudd, Gunny sergeant wannabe uses a sling on a shotgun for ducks???
Marksmanship is a skill and apparently so is being a dumb [bleep] and you are world class.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

GR

What kind of Super Fudd, Gunny sergeant wannabe uses a sling on a shotgun for ducks???
Marksmanship is a skill and apparently so is being a dumb [bleep] and you are world class.

We use .22 LR in the woods.

And you should calm down, little one.

... Adult Behavior - is also a skill.

GR

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

GR[/quote]
Sure thing GI Ho. Ducks with a 22. Whoever else you’re referring to as “we” is a big a dumb phouck as you are. I’m betting your imaginary platoon or gay band of brothers. As you were, captain douche nozzle.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
garandimal,

Modesty and the real world have been chasing you but you've proven to be far too fleet of foot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
dude sounds like schitload of Stolen Valor, some numbnuts playing far too much Call of Duty video games, playing dress up like the Comicon morons & now thinks he's some sort of elite operator ... except the Comicons don't think they're real superheroes

meh ....

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Still waiting on those pictures of you (Garandimal) and the critters you killed while using the "hasty sling."

It's been almost two days now.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No shame here.

I'll even go as far as to strap it down.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
No shame what-so-ever in using rests. 👍

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t think I’m sorry to have skipped large parts of the thread but when I teach young hunters my strong recommendation is to practice offhand & do your very best not to ever shoot at an animal that way.

I didn’t have a choice last year on a cow elk after about 60 yards of uphill sprint with taller grass & brush between us about 90 yards. To my great surprise she went tits up done in an instant.

I’m usually good to a little over 200 off a knee, out to 700+ sitting on my butt using my pack as a rest sighting in and somewhere in between other methods depending on conditions. Almost Always carry a stick but don’t really like to use it if another rest is available.

A few years ago trained a gifted woman archery hunter to get ready for a TV hunting show. She is a natural markswoman so easy to do & she did great shooting against women who grew up with rifles. But where she beat them all was a hike/run with targets where the other gals shot off hand. I told her drop to a knee if it’s not against the rules. She killed an Aoudad & Oryx 1 shot kills it was rewarding to see how skilled a shooter she had become in a short time. The charging Cape buffalo target was fun & she handled a light 375H&H like a seasoned pro practicing & a 375 Ruger in the show competition.

My hunting partner hits deer vitals targets offhand at 300 yarded practicing. He missed an elk at 120 yards the last time he shot that way - adrenaline & heavy breathing in the mountains make those difficult for anyone.

Using a bipod, tripod, tree, rock, pack or whatever is the best most solid rest that you can is the most ethical choice in hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Crutches are useful.

GR
Too bad you need that sling as a crutch. A true marksman hits what he's aiming at using nothing but his body for support.

Marksmanship is a skill.

smirk

That it is.

It's already on the rifle... we use them to carry it in the field.

Multi-tool.

Although some hunting, like rabbits or hogs in the thickets, is easier without it.

8>)

GR
Lots of folks carry a tripod, pack, and trekking pole for reasons other than shooting, too. Can’t fault them for using a multi-tool to build stability, as you do with the sling.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

GR

GR

You shoot ducks with a .22LR? I am assuming this is in the SE United States?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you wanna become a good off-hand field shot, shoot lots, and lots, of skeet. wink

Before you know it, you'll naturally shoulder, point, and swing your rifle on running deer too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread has been illuminating.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman

GR

GR

You shoot ducks with a .22LR? I am assuming this is in the SE United States?

Turkeys, too.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Basic Marksmanship Skills.

RiflemansChallenge_v201309.2.pdf (Target)

Simple as this.

Now, do that from Standing, Sitting, and Prone.

GR

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That dodged both questions I asked.

I will tell you as someone who has a professional background and considerable operational experience in the middle east, that your statement "Snipers - start at Six-hundred yards." for which you give no citation, is pure nonsense.

Professional precision rifle shooters are just as likely to take a shot at 75 yards, 100 yards or 300 yards in a city or small congested area as they are to take one past 600 yards. In fact today considerable amount of time is spent conducting MOUT training (military operations on urban terrain) since we are not fighting world war two style battles and we don't really do Carlos Hathcock style missions for the most part anymore.

Extensive training is often done in closer range very small target, small window of opportunity, type shooting, in very demanding environments.

Yes, snipers are trained to shoot at extended distances. But to say that for snipers the ranges start at 600 yards, that is simply not true.

To give you a real world example or two.

This picture was taken from an overwatch position. There are Iraqi police and soldiers that can never be trusted as to if/when they are going to turn on you/the person you are assigned to protect. The Iraqis have belt fed MGs in this pic. This was a High Threat Protection Detail for diplomats and dignitaries.

The shots required for guys on overwatch are going to be very close and very difficult once you get 6-8 more cars in that courtyard and 20 more people, and it is wall to wall people moving in different directions.

Similar story here:

In this situation there was both a sniper threat, regualr insurgent attack threat and as usual a bomb threat. The shots engagement distances were expected to be anywhere from point blank to over 1K yards.

The building on the left side of the photo was a known "bad guy" location and we expected to receive fire from it, if we received fire from extended ranges.

As you can see, the today's professional shooter does not begin his job at 600 yards.

Thank you for your well written and informative post.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Still waiting on those pictures of you (Garandimal) and the critters you killed while using the "hasty sling."

It's been almost two days now.
Still waiting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You shoot ducks with a .22LR?

Yeah, if you use a shotgun to shoot 'em off the water you risk damaging the decoys.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just a couple pics of mule deer in their natural surroundings in this part of the country.

The deer are practically invisible to the naked eye. Aperture sights would not be easy to see the target. Terrain/vegetation does not lend itself to 'square range' shooting positions.

My spotting location,

Deer at 400 yards,

Nice buck, bedded at 600 yards.

With the aid of rangefinder, bipod, beanbag, optic with turrets (and plenty of practice building a field shooting position), all are doable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
You shoot ducks with a .22LR?

Yeah, if you use a shotgun to shoot 'em off the water you risk damaging the decoys.

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,097
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.