Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can anyone here recomend an outfitter in Wyoming. I have been researching the subject and noted that some had great looking web sites and pictures but reading between the lines I found they were putting you up in a local motel and were essentially road hunting. Not the elk hunt I am looking for.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Jim
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.doubletoutfitters.com/

Under new ownership but it looks like Kerry knew who he was selling it to. Check with the references.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact the K bar Z north of Cody. They have wilderness horseback hunts in the North Absoroka and hunts out of their lodge. They're not pretentious; they're just good hunters, guides and outfitters. I was a part-time guide for them for nine years, so got to see the operation from the inside.

www.agonline.com/KBarZ/

Good luck...

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The reason these guys hunt people out of motels,is because they only have day use permits in many cases and can't stay over night with nonresidents in a camp.

If you want to hunt in the cody area.I'd give Greg Turner a call. I don't have his number but you can find it in the wyoming outfitters website under his name. He's a good guy and does all of his own guiding with help of one other long time employee. So you don't end up with some reject [bleep] that was hanging sheetrock last week and playing guide this week. He'll provide a full time cook,wrangler and guide.So you won't have to wait on one guy playing all those roles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just did a WY moose hunt with DiamondJ Outfitters. I would HIGHLY recommend them. They hunt out of Big Piney. Great camp, good camp food. Wall Tents have wooden floors & they have a propane shower stall-----Hot shower is a plus on a 7 day hunt. It's good elk country----I personally saw groups of 50 head of elk with several good bulls. Call Kevin @ 505-334-2829. He's probably still guiding right now. They have good stock---They usually use mules. I didn't have problem one on my moose hunt---which was 10/1 thru 10/8. FYI--I did get a pretty nice moose. CB

They have a website pretty sure it's www.diamondjoutfitters.com

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ron Dube.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ya ron's pimped his services to a bunch of outdoor writters at a discount. He's largely over rated and over priced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sledder
Ya ron's pimped his services to a bunch of outdoor writters at a discount. He's largely over rated and over priced.

So you're from Wyoming grin?

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
He's also had plenty of run ins with the forest service,over illegal methods.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've hunted with Bald Mountain Outfitter in Pinedale on 5 different hunts. I've taken mule deer, antelope, and elk (3). The elk hunts are 8 day horseback hunts (6 days hunting) in the wilderness. The Pollards have been doing this for a long time, are very organized and are great people to work with. PM me if you want additional details.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sledder
He's also had plenty of run ins with the forest service,over illegal methods.

And almost single-handedly responsible for the "zero tolerance" policy of the Park Service for any hunting encroachment in Yellowstone.

Contact Wyoming Fish & Game and get the outfitters' list from them, then do your own research. There are many good ones and just as many bad ones. Beware of the recommendations from the one guy who may have had success for his one and only elk, and his one time euphoria.

Undoubtedly this plan is not for this year but for the future. You have at least a year to do your own research.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
U
U
If you want a true wilderness hunt you won't forget check out the Diamond 4 Ranch- Jim Allen and his family- Lander, Wyoming. He packs into the Popo Agie wilderness area of the Wind River Mountains which is some of the prettiest elk country I have ever seen. Jim's outfit has been named outfitter of the year by both the BLM and the Forest Service.
I used to work for Jim as a packer in the Winds and a wrangler in his hunting camp. He is a top-knotch outfitter that I recommend to family, and his camps are well-run. Make sure you have done your part like getting in shape and lots of practice with your weapon, because one of the first things you will do upon arrival is head to the range.

D
D
I just got back from a hunt with Lee Livingston/ Wyoming Adventures. Thgere were three of us that all tagged out, two 330-340 class bulls and one 310 class. His other camp went 5 out of six. This was the first hunt i've been on where the guides had already targeted bulls and already knew where to find them. We were all in elk the first day. Our hunt was a 4 hour ride into camp but then the elk were within a mile of camp. Camp was wall tents and cots. We were a couple of miles from Yellowstone and saw grizzly bear, rams, and mule deer. I would not hesitate to recomend Lee.

We also heard about another outfitter from a local there. He said tim Hockholter at Timber Creek killed as big an elk as anybody.
Try checking up on those two.

Txsparky

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1 for Lee Livingston from Cody. He has a website if you do a search. Good areas up near the park, good people working for him.

Last edited by John55; 10/19/07.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am sorry to read the negative stuff about Ron Dube. I believe he has re-acquired his guide service in the last year or two.
I know one should be careful with unsubstantiated claims but I am interested if any of you can elaborate. PM's might be prudent?
Thanks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No PM's necessary. He's been run across the state.All my info is directly from one of the forest service employees that wrote some of the fines.

I don't know how or why he has the following of outdoor writters,but he does.

One explanation is Jim Zumbo,his nickname among many,is free hunt zumbo.Zumbo is at the top of his list of referances.Or was.

In fact,I've never met anyone in person that recomends the guy.Its always the exact opposite.

If you view his website,he talks about the hunters relationship with the land.The irony,is he was fined for tearing [bleep] up on forest service lands.Among other things.

This outfitter isn't alone.If you look at the majority of the backgrounds on these guys,you'll see they've been fined on more then one occasion.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

There are many good ones and just as many bad ones. Beware of the recommendations from the one guy who may have had success for his one and only elk, and his one time euphoria.

Bobs above statement is about as true as it gets. You'll also find euphoria occurs easily for many.

There is a [bleep] of greed right now in outfitting. You'll find outfitters booking clients to hunt with other outfitters,because the secondary outfitter has no reputation and can't get anyone booked on his own. Another good rule,is insist on having a full time cook,wrangler and guide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another good rule,is insist on having a full time cook,wrangler and guide.

Yes, please stay away from those kind that do it all! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But then again, don't listen to me because as Sledder previously said......

Being from AL you don't have a clue what mountain hunting is like.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Trophy Connection out of Sheridan. Leo flat out is the Man! Any questions PM me

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 10/19/07.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.